July 17 Republic Q400 class

The only thing you need relating to flying is your certificate and medical, because your going to be typed.
Headset, knee board, flashlight, not needed.
Maybe a flashlight. We are required to have one, and some FAA inspectors don't count the ones installed in the airplane.

Bring an open mind. The dude who may appear to be a Dbag, maybe the one to leach to for info. Or they may just be a Dbag.
Get a class roster with contact info on day one, not sure if your instructors are that proactive,
Have beer/pizza study sessions at night.
Get to know your classmates.
Don't forget the passport as well if its for an ATP/TYPE... Or sim training for that matter

*edit

And log books. FAA wants those reviewed now

You need to take your headset. Some training departments require you to use them, as mine did.

I had to think for a minute about what a kneeboard was, it's been a while since I had to strap one of those on. You don't need to bring your headset.

Don't forget the passport as well if its for an ATP/TYPE... Or sim training for that matter

*edit

And log books. FAA wants those reviewed now

Hasn't the FAA always wanted logbooks reviewed? Or is there something special about how the FAA want's logbooks reviewed now?

Hasn't the FAA always wanted logbooks reviewed? Or is there something special about how the FAA want's logbooks reviewed now?

Seemed like for an added type, at one point most school houses were ok with whatever you put on your 8710 as long as it seemed legit. Initials, that was a long time ago, and I don't remember if they checked it.

Seemed like for an added type, at one point most school houses were ok with whatever you put on your 8710 as long as it seemed legit. Initials, that was a long time ago, and I don't remember if they checked it.

Oh okay, I get what your saying they just want to verify logbook hours with an 8710.

Thanks for clarifying.

Exactly the same as V1 cuts, but at V2.
In the 170, they suck about the same as V1, which isn't much suck at all.

Don't know about in a Q, but seeing that 99% of operators work a V1 cut about the same (get control, treat as an airborne issue etc...) I don't fathom is is much different.

Enlighten me about the V2 cuts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Exactly the same as V1 cuts, but at V2.
In the 170, they suck about the same as V1, which isn't much suck at all.

Don't know about in a Q, but seeing that 99% of operators work a V1 cut about the same (get control, treat as an airborne issue etc...) I don't fathom is is much different.

Similar to V1, with a few key differences. The prop thing comes into play in a big way here. First, since there's no longer any pavement to keep you upright, there's a much more dramatic rolling motion as compared to the pure yaw of the V1 cut. Secondly, the induced lift created by the prop blast on the good engine makes that rolling motion more pronounced, and hard to counter-act. Third, since the Q has auto-feather, you get a blast of thrust as that prop goes through the feathering motion. This causes a momentary yaw in the opposite direction normally expected with an engine failure. This can cause the pilot to momentarily react as though the side with the good engine is actually the one with the failure. Add some aileron in the wrong direction, and you'll be struggling once that rolling moment I discussed above becomes evident. Throw in the fact that you have very little energy and almost no altitude, and it's a much more demanding exercise than a standard on-the-runway V1 event.

When we first started doing V2 cuts in the sim, we had check airmen who were having massive (more than 90 degrees) changes in heading before they got it under control, and that's if it didn't roll into the ground. A red screen was not uncommon the first training cycle they did this.

I've been calling them 'V2' cuts, but basically what's being done is a failure induced between 0 and 50 feet AGL.

Similar to V1, with a few key differences. The prop thing comes into play in a big way here. First, since there's no longer any pavement to keep you upright, there's a much more dramatic rolling motion as compared to the pure yaw of the V1 cut. Secondly, the induced lift created by the prop blast on the good engine makes that rolling motion more pronounced, and hard to counter-act. Third, since the Q has auto-feather, you get a blast of thrust as that prop goes through the feathering motion. This causes a momentary yaw in the opposite direction normally expected with an engine failure. This can cause the pilot to momentarily react as though the side with the good engine is actually the one with the failure. Add some aileron in the wrong direction, and you'll be struggling once that rolling moment I discussed above becomes evident. Throw in the fact that you have very little energy and almost no altitude, and it's a much more demanding exercise than a standard on-the-runway V1 event.

When we first started doing V2 cuts in the sim, we had check airmen who were having massive (more than 90 degrees) changes in heading before they got it under control, and that's if it didn't roll into the ground. A red screen was not uncommon the first training cycle they did this.

I've been calling them 'V2' cuts, but basically what's being done is a failure induced between 0 and 50 feet AGL.

The check airman should NOT be having a problem with this maneuver.

The check airman should NOT be having a problem with this maneuver.
Initially it was done non-briefed to see how the results would go. If you're sitting in the sim, it's not a jeopardy event, and you have no idea the maneuver exists... it's pretty easy to let your guard down. Check airmen are just pilots.

On paper, no pilot should have problems with any maneuver.

Reactions: Jet
Is there anybody else here going to the July 17 Q class for Republic? I thought it would be nice to meet a couple if people before the class and discuss some things. Even if just to break the ice.

If not here, any other forums where I might be able to find some folks?
Heading to IND on Tuesday for the Q402 class

Back