Joining the Ranks

ha :) I remember that guy.
Omaha appch told him once that i was eating him up one evening coming in to Omaha. He came back with "I get paid more".
Yeah, that guy is ok in my book.

Dunno man, I don't think TPIC is going to mean all that.
Everything you can use to bolster a resume will mean something. I have pretty much been resigned to the fact that I will have to go to a regional for at least a few years for this reason.

Delta still mentions TPIC as a factor they look at and both United and Delta look at the "quality" of your flight time. TPIC will mean something. It may not be a requirement anymore, but it will be a resume booster to put me ahead of others.

There was a period of time where if you flew freight, you were the #@($. Now, they just want the least amount of risk possible that you're gonna pass training. I too don't feel that TPIC, at least 1000, isn't a big deal anymore. The guys with 5000+ TPIC right now might be able to badger their way in, but those of us like me that are just getting into it aren't going to get any breaks IMO. We'll see I guess.

That being said, I find it just as unlikely that droves of FOs will be able to move to the majors as well. It happens, and it probably happens more often than freight, but the guys that purposely sit in the right seat for a better schedule are foolish IMO. Yeah, I know a couple people like that... and I still think freight dogs are gods among mere mortals. :)

Dunno man, I don't think TPIC is going to mean all that.
Maybe not to the airlines, but charter and 91 like to see it. That's why you see ~3000 hours PIC included in the requirements for FO on a lot of these gigs. They don't want someone who has sat in the right seat their whole career.
Heck, in our programs, everyone is PIC qualified even if they are the "FO". No SIC rides, and everyone is typed. (with some minor exceptions)

I'd be interested if any regional-to-feeder freight guys will have anything good to say.
Had a Mesa furlough regale me with tales of how great Mesa was compared to UPS feeder work, but FedEx guys tend to have bit of a better QOL.

Why would you leave a regional for feeder freight?
Maybe you want to work for a corporate, fractional or air ambo gig who almost never hire regional airline pilots.

I'm looking to live near HNL, Aiea, Pearl City, Makiki, etc. from ow on, I'll try to cancel once I'm within 10miles or so. We have to go to VFR to LUP anyway, I don't think 10 miles out in Clr/10 is unreasonable. I try to okay nice. Now if you guys can work on our landings in LNY to get off on that taxiway, then I'll give you a high five and a coke to go along with your daily rate

I'm looking to live near HNL, Aiea, Pearl City, Makiki, etc. from ow on, I'll try to cancel once I'm within 10miles or so. We have to go to VFR to LUP anyway, I don't think 10 miles out in Clr/10 is unreasonable. I try to okay nice. Now if you guys can work on our landings in LNY to get off on that taxiway, then I'll give you a high five and a coke to go along with your daily rate
How are you liking it as of right now? Thinking of tossing in the application and seeing what may happen... I could use a vacation from the mainland....

I like it so far, days aren't long, they just start early with the mail routes we contract for. It's a fairly decent gig. No complaints!

You don't even get a real chance to rub elbows with the heavy drivers unless you go snoopin around the hubsort facility. Probably have a better chance at an interview if you hucked boxes in the warehouse.

It kind of makes sense that FedEx wouldn't want to hire feeder guys, if they hired a feeder guy they have to pay to train him on the "heavy iron," and pay to train someone to take his place.

Back