Joining the Ranks

So they say... haha
All of Wiggins have been completed for over a year and 5 G-1000
Mountain air got the next 5 G-1000's and started conversions
CSA has started conversions (i was in recurrent with their safety director)
West Air starts conversions next year
Not sure about Corporate, Baron, or Empire

And FSI is in the process of building a G-600 Caravan sim which should be up Summer/Fall 2013

They are coming my friend.

Can someone tell me what's is it like to work for a FedEx feeder (caravan), what is the work day like, QOL, exe... I currently work for a regional and wasn't sure if it was for me...

Well, in KGFK, most pilots sowed between 6-7am depending if they were the first flight to a destination, the second flight, or standby. Out all day, and everyone makes it back by 7:30pm. The ops here in PHNL are anything BUT Ordinary because we do USPS as well as FX. SO with USPS up at 230 report 330am, out around 5am, back in 3 hrs (honestly the .2-.5 legs between islands is insane!!). BUT then you get called to do a FX run at 10! Boom, extra pay baby. But, it's all scheduled, well in advance, and with FX, all you do is drive, so it can't be that bad, right!?

Well, in KGFK, most pilots sowed between 6-7am depending if they were the first flight to a destination, the second flight, or standby. Out all day, and everyone makes it back by 7:30pm. The ops here in PHNL are anything BUT Ordinary because we do USPS as well as FX. SO with USPS up at 230 report 330am, out around 5am, back in 3 hrs (honestly the .2-.5 legs between islands is insane!!). BUT then you get called to do a FX run at 10! Boom, extra pay baby. But, it's all scheduled, well in advance, and with FX, all you do is drive, so it can't be that bad, right!?
It has to be longer than .2. Are you flying the pattern and delivering back in HNL? We block .4 to MKK .6 to LNY and .7 to JHM in the Dash.

P.S. Cancel IFR so we don't have to hold for 15 minutes for you to do a visual approach :) Thanks for the free day off though.

I'd be interested if any regional-to-feeder freight guys will have anything good to say.
Had a Mesa furlough regale me with tales of how great Mesa was compared to UPS feeder work, but FedEx guys tend to have bit of a better QOL.

Why would you leave a regional for feeder freight?

Can someone tell me what's is it like to work for a FedEx feeder (caravan), what is the work day like, QOL, exe... I currently work for a regional and wasn't sure if it was for me...

Just going by observation. The Baron Aviation guys have about the same schedule as us. Pretty sure they get paid a lot more, but I don't know. They don't touch the cargo ever. We load(easy) and unload(ghey) at the outstation. We don't touch the cargo in Omaha, for better or worse. Worse on some days. "Yeah sure, put that 200 pound tractor part in the back!" :D

These guys appear to either be from the area or just really like it. Many guys that have been doing the same run for 5+ years. Douglas, do you remember the older guy that flies to North Plate that sounds "funny" on the radio. He cracks me up with his level of not giving any #$%@s. :)

Cessnaflyer did you follow me into JHM the other day? Sorry about that if it was, Flight training/IOE, plus, who gets stuck behind a caravan when you fly a Dash 8? .2 was MKK to LUP

I'd be interested if any regional-to-feeder freight guys will have anything good to say.
Had a Mesa furlough regale me with tales of how great Mesa was compared to UPS feeder work, but FedEx guys tend to have bit of a better QOL.

Why would you leave a regional for feeder freight?
I was Hoping for a job that will give me better qol and a place where I could be home more often...

Cessnaflyer did you follow me into JHM the other day? Sorry about that if it was, Flight training/IOE, plus, who gets stuck behind a caravan when you fly a Dash 8? .2 was MKK to LUP
No, that was the other morning crew I had the MKK and LNY trips and heard it on the radio. I was flying JHM all day yesterday though. Good you guys didn't have to get caught in that weather. I had to go around for a 20 knot sheer coming out of the valley. I've never had so many crying passengers!

Where are you living?

Back