JC Cyclists.

Hey thanks so much for the reply that's very helpful.

The Surly is probably what I will go for but I need to save up so it won't be for a year or so. The Salsa is an interesting option I will look into it.

Good point regarding the massive tyres thing. Being from a road background anything above 28s is big for me. 47mm will be just perfect.
Yeah 47mm is a great sized tire, = 1.85 inches which is what a skinny mtb race tire used to be. On my gravel bike (which is technically a drop bar 29'er) I have 2.25" or about 57mm which is perfect for me. A bit much for extended pavement rides, but I no longer notice it. Especially considering I ride my mtb with 2.5s to the trail head on pavement a bunch.

Thanks that gives me good confidence about the longevity of Steel.

If you're considering a Surly or a Fargo, I would also consider a steel Jones. I almost bought one myself, but decided to FMWallet and spring for another Black Sheep. Jeff Jones is a really reputable name in the industry. These bikes are made in Taiwan (as are Surlies, I believe) but they are a good value for the money.

483ae0d94b7c5d0cd811e8579c62ef01.jpg

I cracked my alloy hardtail after 5 long years of beat downs. Including the rock drop at Aline. JRA!

Next hardtail will be the Norco Torrent. Steel is most assuredly real.

I owned a ti Moots and personally I would never do it again. It was dated (no disk brakes, through axle, geometry etc..) took a huge loss when I sold it.

My WTB Phoenix ran for 10 years. Those days are long, long gone. Bikes are dated in about 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

483ae0d94b7c5d0cd811e8579c62ef01.jpg

I cracked my alloy hardtail after 5 long years of beat downs. Including the rock drop at Aline. JRA!

Next hardtail will be the Norco Torrent. Steel is most assuredly real.

I owned a ti Moots and personally I would never do it again. It was dated (no disk brakes, through axle, geometry etc..) took a huge loss when I sold it.

My WTB Phoenix ran for 10 years. Those days are long, long gone. Bikes are dated in about 3 years.

JRA!

Customer: "I was JRA the other day and my frame broke, binding broke, snowboard got split in half, rooftop box got crushed, bike fell off the car, oh where'd that core shot come from?, etc."

Long live the Jerry JRA. My poor wife has heard them all in her years working at the Co-op.

JRA!

Customer: "I was JRA the other day and my frame broke, binding broke, snowboard got split in half, rooftop box got crushed, bike fell off the car, oh where'd that core shot come from?, etc."

Long live the Jerry JRA. My poor wife has heard them all in her years working at the Co-op.

I just straight up owned it when I called my buddies at Whyte. Hey wanna see the huge jump I hit on your hardtail? Check this out, 10’ drop!

“Oh yeah. It’s broke. My bad.”

They sent me a new one anyhow.

Bikes are dated in about 3 years.

If you're riding professionally, sure. For those of us simply riding to ride, it isn't really applicable. Being ok with not running bleeding edge gear has its perks.

For sure. Someone got a 7K bike for 2K

That sux. I suppose that's a risk you run making that kind of investment in an MTB, since they seem to go through advancements in standards so frequently. On an RB, Ti is probably more future-proof.

That sux. I suppose that's a risk you run making that kind of investment in an MTB, since they seem to go through advancements in standards so frequently. On an RB, Ti is probably more future-proof.

It was CR model road bike

I just straight up owned it when I called my buddies at Whyte. Hey wanna see the huge jump I hit on your hardtail? Check this out, 10’ drop!

“Oh yeah. It’s broke. My bad.”

They sent me a new one anyhow.

Best way to do it for sure. Few years back ripped a very nice jacket after making friends with a tree on a glorious powder day. Called the manufacturer and told them exactly what happened expecting to at least pay something. Nope, fixed it for free. Kudos to Mountain Hardwear.

That's insane. People still buy bikes with QR skewers and rim brakes.

I just assume nobody will ever want my Ti road bike because it is custom sized and specced out kind of oddly. But I also plan to keep it until I can't ride anymore, so whatever. It will be someone else's problem.

Yeah. That’s kind of my point though. No disk brakes, no through axles outdated geo. No one wanted to buy it. Amazing how much changed in 5 years.

Is working with a Ti frame kinda funky when it comes to stuff like replacing bottom brackets or headsets due to the dissimilar metals? Or no worse than aluminum alloy frames?

Is working with a Ti frame kinda funky when it comes to stuff like replacing bottom brackets or headsets due to the dissimilar metals? Or no worse than aluminum alloy frames?

You just use Ti prep instead of grease. The fun part is you look like you’ve been huffing paint when you’re done.

Yeah 47mm is a great sized tire, = 1.85 inches which is what a skinny mtb race tire used to be. On my gravel bike (which is technically a drop bar 29'er) I have 2.25" or about 57mm which is perfect for me. A bit much for extended pavement rides, but I no longer notice it. Especially considering I ride my mtb with 2.5s to the trail head on pavement a bunch.
Ok great thanks, since I have a road bike this thing will be purely for gravel and bike packing. The more room the better however.

If you're considering a Surly or a Fargo, I would also consider a steel Jones. I almost bought one myself, but decided to FMWallet and spring for another Black Sheep. Jeff Jones is a really reputable name in the industry. These bikes are made in Taiwan (as are Surlies, I believe) but they are a good value for the money.

Thanks I will have a look. I didn't notice any drop bar bikes for purchase? Or would this have to be a custom build?

That's insane. People still buy bikes with QR skewers and rim brakes.

I just assume nobody will ever want my Ti road bike because it is custom sized and specced out kind of oddly. But I also plan to keep it until I can't ride anymore, so whatever. It will be someone else's problem.

I guess. I mean the used market was not what it was right now when I sold the bike in 2016. If I just stored the bike for 4 years I would have made a killing lol

I guess. I mean the used market was not what it was right now when I sold the bike in 2016. If I just stored the bike for 4 years I would have made a killing lol

Yeah you would've. Do yourself a favor, don't look at what they're asking for the Vamoots currently at the Pro's Closet. There are a few on eBay that are closer to what you sold yours for.

Personally, I buy such esoteric stuff, I can't even figure resale in to it because I assume nobody would ever want it.

Thanks I will have a look. I didn't notice any drop bar bikes for purchase? Or would this have to be a custom build?

Beats me. I know that they used to be handbuilt in the US, but for greater efficiencies, or whatever people call it these days, they are built overseas to the same specs. There's nothing wrong with Taiwan, lots and lots of companies build there. Anyway, I'd assume they could piece together something custom for you if you asked. If not, buy the frameset and build it yourself, or buy the complete bike and sell what you don't want (the H bar, it sounds like) and use that to pay for drops.

If you aren't afraid to roll your own, I think REEB sell steel framesets for around a grand.

Anyway, you have lots of options. Your big problem at this current moment will be finding something in stock to buy.

Back