Japan Airlines flight on fire

Looks like an alarm was triggered when he entered the runway but no one in the tower noticed. For some reason it was just a flashing alarm, not aural?

Can't speak for Japanese equipment, but our *cough cough* superior US equipment says in a loud booming voice "warning runway 34R occupied, go around.". It's as disconcerting the hundredth time as it is the first time. Even when we test it and know it's about to happen

Seeing the plane being evacuated in 90 seconds.

4a9717d26d9afd9a8a0ef75591f3728c.jpg

Sent from my Nokia T20 using Tapatalk

18 minutes. Certification is 90 seconds.
Certification testing happens on a perfectly usable airplane with paid passengers who are probably trained themselves. All exits are available. I am sure the certification requirements take into account ideal conditions with the understanding that even in the best real-world circumstances you add a multiplier to that "standard" to account for different variables. Everyone got off. They did a good job. Also the 18 minutes you cite is from time of impact, not from the time of the start of the evacuation.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was 18 minutes from impact to CFR clearing the interior of the aircraft or if that is just some number they come up with after getting a head count. Lost in translation most likely.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was 18 minutes from impact to CFR clearing the interior of the aircraft or if that is just some number they come up with after getting a head count. Lost in translation most likely.

Could be when CFR ops went from rescue, or the last person exiting, to falling back to defensive ops and slowing down firefighting, once determined there was no one left to save if there was anyone left inside. I’m not sure where their measuring metric for some of the mid-ops time hacks are.

Certification testing happens on a perfectly usable airplane with paid passengers who are probably trained themselves. All exits are available. I am sure the certification requirements take into account ideal conditions with the understanding that even in the best real-world circumstances you add a multiplier to that "standard" to account for different variables. Everyone got off. They did a good job. Also the 18 minutes you cite is from time of impact, not from the time of the start of the evacuation.
Back in the olden times one of my dads buddies lived up in Seattle, he and his girlfriend were part of the group testing evacuation on the 747. He said they handed out Hawaiian shirts to all of the men and everyone was coached extensively. I think his girlfriend sprained an ankle once on a slide. But young college students will do almost anything for a few bucks, or at least they used to.

But you had vertical separation. I always thought you could fly circles around the fix and ATC could care less if they had vertical separation.
"Could care less..." So, you're saying it was at least somewhat important to them. Not so unimportant that they could NOT care less about it???

JAL A350 hits Japanese Coast Guard Dash 8
ANA 777 hits DAL 717 in ORD
Korean Air A330 hit Cathay Pacific aircraft at Hokkaido Airport

I declare this Aviation accident trifecta complete! Accept this sacrifice O Gods of the Sky, and return to slumber. Trouble us no more…

That would be a lot of work for you. Specially the new kids who don't know what a gyro is.
What IS a gyro? I know I enjoy them for lunch from time to time. They're lamb, so you know, they can't be baahaaahaahhd!

Last edited:
Back