It’s Not Worth Showing Off

That's not a problem in my family, also, I feel like you probably do not understand "why" there is so much DA up here... it's alcohol, poverty, and a lot of other things. You don't move here and start beating your wife - it's not like it's some kind of infection.

But that’s my point. You don’t think someone involved in that also might have a gun? And create the problems you fear?

Bisbee, AZ? Recently discovered it. Seems like a bunch of hippies of both persuasions. Cheap. Really close to Mexico. Wonder what MikeD thinks.
I'll check it out
I definitely get strong vibes of "looking for trouble" here fairly regularly. And that's new, it was not this way when I was growing up.
yeah... I see that a lot outside of Anchorage - really I'd say in the valley and in the Kenai region... but it's almost like people are excited about the opportunity for a tussle or something. I don't really see that in Anchorage? But yeah... and it's not like I don't love it here, but... I want to spend winter someplace that isn't • egregious, and I want to be around more mellow people. Hawaii I like for that a lot, I miss living there very much, but there were also a lot high strung people there because they were trying to make a living there and that's hard.

I don't know, get me some hippies to have as neighbors, we can grow hydroponic vegetables and replace unfriendly, outside society, with our own. and contrary to popular belief, it's not some "rural-urban" thing, like, it's just a general sense of aggression and violence that's kind of everywhere in the air these days. I want no part in it.

But that’s my point. You don’t think someone involved in that also might have a gun? And create the problems you fear?
I don't fear guns, you're projecting things onto me. I own lots of guns - though I can't really use them anymore.

I think you misunderstand the problems I am concerned about, and part of that is a result of the post I responded to. To be clear, I'm not "intrinsically afraid of firearms" or whatever, @Boris Badenov's post just struck me about how ready people are to fly off the freaking handle. I'm concerned about the cavalier tendency towards violence I see people have more and more, and I don't see that with hippies. More and more I sense a dismissive attitude to the value of human life, a sense that violence can solve many problems, and a sense that people aren't worth much.

And to be clear - I believe violence does solve some sorts of problems - speaking of DV, your abusive husband cannot beat on you if you shoot him, but in the same vein... it can create many other problems.

No, I'm saying the "vibe" of this place outside of Anchorage (and increasingly in town) has changed towards anger and aggression. To an extent, it seems that people are just... on edge? People are looking for trouble it feels like. Matt had it exactly right. I don't know, I don't want to be around increasingly hostile and angry people all the time.

You are the people you associate with, often quite literally - you begin to fire those mirror neurons and mimic the people you're around whether you want to or not. That's fine when you're around positive, productive, creative, and peaceful people. It's less desirable when you're around angry, bitter, and violent people. I would much much rather be around people who have a positive and uplifting view of things than around a bunch angry misanthropic weirdos.

I don't fear guns, you're projecting things onto me. I own lots of guns - though I can't really use them anymore.

I think you misunderstand the problems I am concerned about, and part of that is a result of the post I responded to. To be clear, I'm not "intrinsically afraid of firearms" or whatever, @Boris Badenov's post just struck me about how ready people are to fly off the freaking handle. I'm concerned about the cavalier tendency towards violence I see people have more and more, and I don't see that with hippies. More and more I sense a dismissive attitude to the value of human life, a sense that violence can solve many problems, and a sense that people aren't worth much.

And to be clear - I believe violence does solve some sorts of problems - speaking of DV, your abusive husband cannot beat on you if you shoot him, but in the same vein... it can create many other problems.

No, I'm saying the "vibe" of this place outside of Anchorage (and increasingly in town) has changed towards anger and aggression. To an extent, it seems that people are just... on edge? People are looking for trouble it feels like. Matt had it exactly right. I don't know, I don't want to be around increasingly hostile and angry people all the time.

You are the people you associate with, often quite literally - you begin to fire those mirror neurons and mimic the people you're around whether you want to or not. That's fine when you're around positive, productive, creative, and peaceful people. It's less desirable when you're around angry, bitter, and violent people. I would much much rather be around people who have a positive and uplifting view of things than around a bunch angry misanthropic weirdos.
Exactly why we were so picky in choosing what neighborhood to move to.

Good post, thanks for this followup +1

Its newer than Old Mexico? If you slice off a part to be it's own state, does that make it New New Mexico?
I have some old family friends of my parents - grew up around them and close. They sold their businesses in San Antonio in the 2010's and moved to old Mexico. Sounds like an American'ish colony and they are absolutely in love with it - plus the cost of living. They are also impressed with the health care available.

I have some old family friends of my parents - grew up around them and close. They sold their businesses in San Antonio in the 2010's and moved to old Mexico. Sounds like an American'ish colony and they are absolutely in love with it - plus the cost of living. They are also impressed with the health care available.
Tell me more?

Good post, thanks for this followup +1
I actually appreciate that.

But really, my thing is, "I want to be around positive, encouraging, 'cool', and friendly people." Because those types of people will make me better too! I feel like - and this is just me, that in many places that vibe is being supplanted by the "negative, discouraging, rude, and unfriendly." I don't know if it's just me or not, but yeah - I feel like as I get older, and as I recover from illness, I do not want to be around the sorts of people who think and act that way, and my deep fear is that it's spreading.

There seems to be so little hope - part of that is justified, basically there are a lot of really messed up things in the world right now - but it seem that a great many people would rather use that as an opportunity to enrich themselves and pull the ladder up behind them than to assist others and make the world better. Part of that creates a really strong negative feedback loop towards distrust, anger, and just being on edge. If • gets hard and harder every year, I cannot blame people for being grumpy and on edge, but... I don't want to be around those people all the time. I want to be around people who haven't had a sense of community, altruism, respect for their fellow man, and optimism beat out of them yet.

I don't know, I kind of progressed beyond what Matt was saying, but... man, I'm really tired of people who are "itching for a fight" or whatever this new thing is. It's like a nation of self-absorbed Karens who are the star of their own movies and are free to burn anyone who gets in the way of their immediate comfort right now.

To tie that in to the topic of this thread, I am starting to get the impression that this sort of influencer mindset is part of it. In the Instagram world, or the Facebook world, we're all the star of our own movies - well, I don't want to be a movie star, I just want to be around nice people.

Please don’t say San Miguel De Allende.

I actually appreciate that.

But really, my thing is, "I want to be around positive, encouraging, 'cool', and friendly people." Because those types of people will make me better too! I feel like - and this is just me, that in many places that vibe is being supplanted by the "negative, discouraging, rude, and unfriendly." I don't know if it's just me or not, but yeah - I feel like as I get older, and as I recover from illness, I do not want to be around the sorts of people who think and act that way, and my deep fear is that it's spreading.

There seems to be so little hope - part of that is justified, basically there are a lot of really messed up things in the world right now - but it seem that a great many people would rather use that as an opportunity to enrich themselves and pull the ladder up behind them than to assist others and make the world better. Part of that creates a really strong negative feedback loop towards distrust, anger, and just being on edge. If • gets hard and harder every year, I cannot blame people for being grumpy and on edge, but... I don't want to be around those people all the time. I want to be around people who haven't had a sense of community, altruism, respect for their fellow man, and optimism beat out of them yet.

I don't know, I kind of progressed beyond what Matt was saying, but... man, I'm really tired of people who are "itching for a fight" or whatever this new thing is. It's like a nation of self-absorbed Karens who are the star of their own movies and are free to burn anyone who gets in the way of their immediate comfort right now.

To tie that in to the topic of this thread, I am starting to get the impression that this sort of influencer mindset is part of it. In the Instagram world, or the Facebook world, we're all the star of our own movies - well, I don't want to be a movie star, I just want to be around nice people.

Another great post.

I don’t mean to add to the negativity, but this being an election year, I’m fully counting on negativity from people being riled up throughout the year. :(

I don’t mean to add to the negativity, but this being an election year, I’m fully counting on negativity from people being riled up throughout the year. :(

This election is important - just like every one of them, but this one is particularly important and has grave implications for the environment, women's rights, and the international order... so, I will likely still be loudly and vocally opposed to the conservatives, but to put it mildly, I do not want to live in a world where society is a collection of instagram posts.

This election is important - just like every one of them, but this one is particularly important and has grave implications for the environment, women's rights, and the international order... so, I will likely still be loudly and vocally opposed to the conservatives, but to put it mildly, I do not want to live in a world where society is a collection of instagram posts.

International order under Biden? We’ll respectfully disagree.

And yes, 2024 will play out in the social media arena. :(

Bisbee, AZ? Recently discovered it. Seems like a bunch of hippies of both persuasions. Cheap. Really close to Mexico. Wonder what MikeD thinks.

and Doug Stanhope is there.......

........edit, just saw it was subsequently well mentioned. He's hilarious to my taste in comedy

I still remember "Taco Bell Express" -- where slathering ingredients onto a tortilla and rolling it into a burrito in five seconds isn't FAST enough...

Soooo...Taco Bell is Taco Bell, 60% "meat" and all, but....

I got the COVID really bad once. Laid out for a week sick in bed, and even when I got over the primary part, I didn't want to eat anything....at all. The thought of food just disgusted me...EXCEPT the thought of Taco Bell. Well, fellas gotta get his strength back, so off I went to the drive through, and absolutely destroyed a burrito supreme and 4 tacos like they were nothing. Then went back to not wanting to eat for a few days.

I'd love to hear some nutrition wonk explain that one to me.

Soooo...Taco Bell is Taco Bell, 60% "meat" and all, but....

I got the COVID really bad once. Laid out for a week sick in bed, and even when I got over the primary part, I didn't want to eat anything....at all. The thought of food just disgusted me...EXCEPT the thought of Taco Bell. Well, fellas gotta get his strength back, so off I went to the drive through, and absolutely destroyed a burrito supreme and 4 tacos like they were nothing. Then went back to not wanting to eat for a few days.

I'd love to hear some nutrition wonk explain that one to me.
Well that’s about your entire recommended daily intake of sodium so that might have something to do with it.

I love Bisbee. Probably a little too small and isolated for me to ever want to live in full time, but a really cool place to go hang out for a weekend. Super nice people too.

I can tell you everything you might want to know about Bisbee. Let me know any questions you have.

Back