It’s Not Worth Showing Off

I'm currently on the hunt for a second-haunt in Santa Fe. It's not like I'm *not* annoyed by hippies, but they generally don't shoot anyone, and the vistas are amazing, as are the roads.
I agree, but the overall poverty of the entire state is not attractive. I suspect you're not a young man although you might feel like one, there ain't no hospitals, if you have an emergency you'll likely have a helicopter, turboprop or jet ride ride to get your stuff situated. I've been eyeballing NM as a possible Escape from LA soft landing but there are valid reasons why many don't. Maybe you or I will be early money when TN, FL and TX overflow. Time will tell. Oppenheimer loved it so it can't be all bad right?

I agree, but the overall poverty of the entire state is not attractive. I suspect you're not a young man although you might feel like one, there ain't no hospitals, if you have an emergency you'll likely have a helicopter, turboprop or jet ride ride to get your stuff situated. I've been eyeballing NM as a possible Escape from LA soft landing but there are valid reasons why many don't. Maybe you or I will be early money when TN, FL and TX overflow. Time will tell. Oppenheimer loved it so it can't be all bad right?

Even "affluent" states have this problem. You ever been to western or upstate New York? If you're in the sticks, you're in the sticks.

Never had to go to any of them, so I can't judge the quality, but there are definitely hospitals in Santa Fe. Admittedly there only appears to be 1 Level I Trauma Center in New Mexico, in Albuquerque.

Its newer than Old Mexico? If you slice off a part to be it's own state, does that make it New New Mexico?

No, the part that succeeds becomes New Mexico, while the rest of it becomes Medium Mexico. Or perhaps just plain Mexico, in which case the current Mexico becomes Old Mexico.

I'm currently on the hunt for a second-haunt in Santa Fe. It's not like I'm *not* annoyed by hippies, but they generally don't shoot anyone, and the vistas are amazing, as are the roads.
Dude, my wife and I just recently had the same thought, basically, while I cannot afford it until I get a real job after graduate school, I have found personally that there are only a few places in America I really want to live. Alaska - more specifically Anchorage, Hawaii, or some place warm with lots of hippies. It's not that I'm not annoyed by them either - I'm probably the most "leftist" person here (though that might have changed) - but I have yet to see a stoner get drunk and shoot his next door neighbor in an argument about the grass. I have yet to see truly angry hippies - just moderately irritated. We live in a really violent country - yes, like, I'm not saying other places aren't violent... but the blood lust that so many people have is just... weird. I don't want to be around that.

Dude, my wife and I just recently had the same thought, basically, while I cannot afford it until I get a real job after graduate school, I have found personally that there are only a few places in America I really want to live. Alaska - more specifically Anchorage, Hawaii, or some place warm with lots of hippies. It's not that I'm not annoyed by them either - I'm probably the most "leftist" person here (though that might have changed) - but I have yet to see a stoner get drunk and shoot his next door neighbor in an argument about the grass. I have yet to see truly angry hippies - just moderately irritated. We live in a really violent country - yes, like, I'm not saying other places aren't violent... but the blood lust that so many people have is just... weird. I don't want to be around that.
Bisbee, AZ? Recently discovered it. Seems like a bunch of hippies of both persuasions. Cheap. Really close to Mexico. Wonder what MikeD thinks.

Bisbee, AZ? Recently discovered it. Seems like a bunch of hippies of both persuasions. Cheap. Really close to Mexico. Wonder what MikeD thinks.
Doug Stanhope is a long time resident of Bisbee. Look him up, he's funny, he helped his mom end her life in his home with a celebration. She was terminal and was in a lot of pain without a desire to live. I actually thinks that's beautiful, but that's Bisbee.

Doug Stanhope is a long time resident of Bisbee. Look him up, he's funny, he helped his mom end her life in his home with a celebration. She was terminal and was in a lot of pain without a desire to live. I actually thinks that's beautiful, but that's Bisbee.

I think Doug Stanhope is usually brilliant. I didn’t know that about his mom though, makes me like him more.

but the blood lust that so many people have is just... weird. I don't want to be around that.

I definitely get strong vibes of "looking for trouble" here fairly regularly. And that's new, it was not this way when I was growing up.

That doesn't seem to have happened out there, yet, although I suspect it's slowly occurring everywhere. *shrug*. Any port in a storm, I suppose.

I think Doug Stanhope is usually brilliant. I didn’t know that about his mom though, makes me like him more.
You're studious and it's not a secret. A simple search will likely provide an interview of him talking about it. Doug has a history of some weirdness, but that's just Bisbee.

Yet, you name one of the worst places for domestic abuse as a place to go live.

Back