Is the Academy bicycle friendly???

Simoneaux

Is the Academy bicycle friendly:confused:

I’m not going to have a car in OKC and was thinking about bringing my bike (well I’m going to have it regardless).

Has anyone or is anyone commuting via bicycle?

Do they have locker rooms at the academy complex?

Any other first hand information on the logistics of riding a bike to the academy?

I’m asking because I now know I’ll be there for the height of summer, and a bike ride in 100 degree weather doesn’t sound very fun for this Alaskan.:( I used to bike year-round though the winter here to school, work, everywhere (yep, studded tires are for bikes to). But this is a horse of a different color. Thanks

Oklahoma City as a whole isn't bike friendly. No bike lanes, dirt shoulders. The roads going to the Academy can be busy and drivers aren't looking for bikes. I can't think of a safe way to bike in.

I can't either... meaning avoiding a car accident on the way to work is hard enough. The civil engineering in this place is probably ranked up there with african roads (and i have been to africa a few times) the drivers will merge on the interstate at 20 mph when you are in their lane going 60... i have also not seen any bike racks around the buildings. Plus lets say you get held up and are only 1 minute late... they will fire you... no joke. If you don't have a car the academy bus is your best bet. They leave the same time we do for class. They just take 10 or 15 minutes longer to get you back.

I can't either... meaning avoiding a car accident on the way to work is hard enough. The civil engineering in this place is probably ranked up there with african roads (and i have been to africa a few times) the drivers will merge on the interstate at 20 mph when you are in their lane going 60... i have also not seen any bike racks around the buildings. Plus lets say you get held up and are only 1 minute late... they will fire you... no joke. If you don't have a car the academy bus is your best bet. They leave the same time we do for class. They just take 10 or 15 minutes longer to get you back.

Oklahoma is known for some of the worlds WORST drivers.. Take it from someone who lives on the border between Arkansas and Oklahoma. However, the drivers in Arkansas aren't much better.. Apparently on-ramps are for parking lot speeds in these states, not for safe driving.
/endrant

Yes get an apartment at walnut garden or one of the other places on the 'bus route' and take the bus to/from the academy. It's at no additional cost...

Oh and there are no turn lanes. If you were to have a car you would have several near misses and possibly an accident in the first month. The accident or near misses will be due to the car in front of you randomly SLAMMING on their brake so they can make a left hand turn.

Oh and there are no turn lanes. If you were to have a car you would have several near misses and possibly an accident in the first month. The accident or near misses will be due to the car in front of you randomly SLAMMING on their brake so they can make a left hand turn.
not sure where you were driving but paying attention helps ;)

Yeah Simoneaux I have to agree with everyone else here. It definitely isn't bicycle friendly and I can't give you anything positive. Bicycling to the academy would be very difficult and dangerous. I've only seen a couple bicyclists on the main road to the academy. The speed limit is 40-45, but people go much faster, so these guys were almost getting hit and everybody was swerving around them. When you have morning classes you'd probably have to ride in the dark which is just asking to die here, even if you have lights.

The only sidewalks you will really find is downtown....OKC doesn't like people outside of cars. Also the roads to the MMAC are crazy busy before and after classes and I wouldn't feel safe biking down the road.

not sure where you were driving but paying attention helps ;)

If it were just me that felt that way then I would agree! I know of at least 1 other person that has had this problem. Have none of you that are here struggled with the people slamming on their brakes RIGHT in front of you?

I slam on my breaks all the time, usually because some moron is riding my ass and I want them to back off :yup:

Have none of you that are here struggled with the people slamming on their brakes RIGHT in front of you?

Oh no I'll certainly back you up Teetee!! I've only been here a couple weeks and have encountered many near accidents because of no separate left turn lane. If you're in the left lane it's bad cause people will slam on their brakes like you're saying, but it can also be bad in the right lane because people will swerve into it suddenly to avoid waiting behind the person trying to turn left. I'm sure accidents because of this happen all the time!

Okay how about this-- I have a road bike I love to ride for exercise. Is there anywhere in or out of the city that people can do this?

If it were just me that felt that way then I would agree! I know of at least 1 other person that has had this problem. Have none of you that are here struggled with the people slamming on their brakes RIGHT in front of you?

Absolutely right. I can't get around these morons that lock 'em up just to make an immediate left hand turn - I watched an old woman deliberately drive across a low median divider to do it. Also, the city department doesn't use orange cones, they just park their stuff in the road and go to work.

If you ride a bike to the academy, you will die. Just take the bus for us, man. :) Hell, if you live at Walnut, I'll be your chauffeur. Just don't end up maimed on the roadway.

Absolutely right. I can't get around these morons that lock 'em up just to make an immediate left hand turn - I watched an old woman deliberately drive across a low median divider to do it. Also, the city department doesn't use orange cones, they just park their stuff in the road and go to work.

If you ride a bike to the academy, you will die. Just take the bus for us, man. :) Hell, if you live at Walnut, I'll be your chauffeur. Just don't end up maimed on the roadway.

Yeah, there's already a shortage of controllers. We don't need more dying while at the academy.. Unless you want to give me your spot in your class? :D

I don't know if I should laugh:laff:, or cry:(.

Thanks for all the first hand knowledge everyone. I was really looking forward to getting back to my old routine... but I really like walking, feeding myself, breathing, you know, all that good stuff.

I guess maybe I will be checking out the gym(s). :rolleyes:

I guess maybe I will be checking out the gym(s). :rolleyes:

Don't get me started, there is a SERIOUS lack of nice gyms here. (You will notice OKC is the fattest city in the country, just walk through walmart it's like nothing you've ever seen) There is a nice one at the Academy for about 27/month but it has limited hours of operation...

Hey, I happen to be fat! Nevertheless, I brought my gym with me :)

It was a little bit of a pain to drag a weight bench and weights into an apartment, I got some strange looks, but it's worth it. And, I've decided to go ahead and start a noise war with the guy who plays loud ass rap music at all hours.

I don't like Jay-Z at 12:30 am. I'm willing to bet he likes the sound of bars clanging at 5:30 am even less.

Back