Is the Academy bicycle friendly???

For a good gym can try Aspen Athletic Club. They have a HUGE one on NW Expressway near the Target that is 24 hour. You get a 14 day trial for free.

Don't get me started, there is a SERIOUS lack of nice gyms here. (You will notice OKC is the fattest city in the country, just walk through walmart it's like nothing you've ever seen) There is a nice one at the Academy for about 27/month but it has limited hours of operation...
Yeah, seriously. DO NOT hole up in an OKC walmart during a zombie attack! You won't know if the people inside are zombies or not.

teetee, you have 777 posts... EPIC.

JC777.png

RD

Simoneaux,

I am attending the FAA academy right now (going to Southern California TRACON.) I would STRONGLY recommend not riding your bike to the academy center, as a matter of fact I think it may be a very near impossible feat, due to the extreme inconvenience and very possible danger.

The Aeronautical center is located right next to the Will Rogers Airport (which like most airports is out a ways away from anything and everything, housing etc.) I live relatively near to the center and it is an easy 15 minute drive for me.

Additionally your schedule, like everyone else here, will vary between day and evening shifts 7:00am - 3:30pm and 3:30pm - 12:00am, it will be one or the other. Aside from taking nearly 45 mins to ride your bike (at least), there is no bike lane along the roads to the center which include an unlighted and lengthy backroad if you are coming from the south, and a busy 4 lane highway that comes right off of the freeway if you are coming from the north (like most people.) These would be in my opinion quite dangerous, not to mention the inconvenience of having to huff it on your bike at a very early or late hour in your "business casual" wear.

If you cannot drive it would greatly behoove you to find an apt complex to live in which offers an academy shuttle service to and from the center daily at no cost, (of which there are many) best part, if they are late you are not at fault. Or you can carpool at least as there are many students like yourself especially at complexes that are closer to the academy. Good luck, and let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Thanks Krispy,

I'm not (ahhh..), or wasn't trying to do it to save money or anything... I just enjoy riding a bike. I haven't been able to ride as transportation very efficiently here for a few years (work requires car, kid, time constraints). From the responses... I see it's probably not worth it. Although I think I'm yet to hear from anyone who is, or once was as serious as I was about riding.;)

I am used to riding with traffic (and mean traffic through Alaskan winters), and I wouldn't even think about doin it in my academy best. They only way I would have considered it was if locker rooms were/are available for a change and shower afterward. I have no problem riding the bus/shuttle, I just miss the freedom of commuting via bicycle I once had as a single dude:(.

I can also move pretty fast. In 45 minutes I can usually travel 15 miles (or more, if I'm riding my road bike). Say I was at Montclair Parc.... I could be at the academy in about 20 minutes. Thats assuming no wind at my back or in my face. Shoot.. even if I stay at the Brittany Apartments (7.6 miles) it would still take less than 30 minutes. I can average about 20mph even in heavy city traffic with stoplights.

Actually, what bothers me the most at this point is the dress code issue and having to change every day. I still need to see this "deadly" traffic first hand before I label it as such. But like I said, at this point I'm not planning on it.

WOHA!!!:(

F that! I just took a really close look on Google earth at the roads. I would be killed! Who the heck designed this place the auto makers:confused: It's a freakin biker's hell. :panic:

I can also move pretty fast. In 45 minutes I can usually travel 15 miles (or more, if I'm riding my road bike). Say I was at Montclair Parc.... I could be at the academy in about 20 minutes. Thats assuming no wind at my back or in my face.

That made me laugh out loud!!! Seriously, assuming no wind in OKC is like assuming no snow in Alaska in December :)

That made me laugh out loud!!! Seriously, assuming no wind in OKC is like assuming no snow in Alaska in December :)

I know... thats why I added that. If it's in my face a bit longer, if it's at my back, much shorter with little effort.

I heard about the wind in my Disc Golf thread. Does it normally come out of one or two directions or is it all over the place because it's so flat?

The wind here can be summed up in the word HEINOUS. It predominantly comes from all four cardinal directions and the other 4 ne nw se sw directions... as well as the sse ssw nne nnw. i have been to chicago more times than i can count and it has nothing on okc. it would blow you off your bike before a native oklahoman or car sized pothole would even have a chance at killing you.
they do however, have a very nice asian market here!:)

The wind here can be summed up in the word HEINOUS. It predominantly comes from all four cardinal directions and the other 4 ne nw se sw directions... as well as the sse ssw nne nnw. i have been to chicago more times than i can count and it has nothing on okc. it would blow you off your bike before a native oklahoman or car sized pothole would even have a chance at killing you.
they do however, have a very nice asian market here!:)

What does one buy at an Asian market, and where is it?*

*this is a completely serious question.

What does one buy at an Asian market, and where is it?*

*this is a completely serious question.
Asians. Duh.

Actually, I go for the fish sauce, and hot sauce, and my wife just loves looking at all the weird stuff. Oh and they have some cool candy. And salt-plums.

Back