Is a layover "off time"?

Oh yeah, all layovers are your own time. I mean, you love Casper, Wyoming and Gillette, Wyoming (the best a man can get) right?

But you're flying the super dooper ultra plush premium 747! OMG! OMG! I'd do it for fee! :)

Heavy amounts of :sarcasm:

...and what fee would it be?

Zap,

Obviously we don't make enough compared to our compatriots.

However, our hourly rates are not the whole story. With the work rules the pilots who came before me fought to get, you can make well better than the base pay would have you believe. We have some nice "soft pay".

And that's without chasing days off. Those guys that have no home life do far better than I could even expect.

As to the other carriers, I'm not sure if the calculated amount is it or not. A friend of mine at Southern rarely breaks guarantee. OTOH, with me sitting RSV last year, I'd break guarantee (not by much) just by rigs.

This is ridiculous.

No damn ambition to hold the standard, much less even recognize that one exists.

Absolutely ridiculous.

No wonder my peers don't even know why voting for an Anti-Labor candidate is bad. They have no grasp of the fact that this is still a PROFESSION and a CAREER to some people.

This isn't a hobby people. Pull your twenty year old head out of your ass and recognize that some of us, and you should too, take a great deal of pride in the jobs we perform and are utterly tired of seeing kids bopping around like this is just some damn happy go lucky job that they are doing part-time until they move back in with Mommy and Daddy when they get furloughed.

<Edit>this is getting old.

Don't bother reporting this post - I already did. . .

:yeahthat:

Well said.

No damn ambition to hold the standard, much less even recognize that one exists....No wonder my peers don't even know why voting for an Anti-Labor candidate is bad. They have no grasp of the fact that this is still a PROFESSION and a CAREER to some people.

This isn't a hobby people. Pull your twenty year old head out of your ass and recognize that some of us, and you should too, take a great deal of pride in the jobs we perform and are utterly tired of seeing kids bopping around like this is just some damn happy go lucky job that they are doing part-time until they move back in with Mommy and Daddy when they get furloughed.
:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

Layovers are not time off.

The End.

This is ridiculous.

No damn ambition to hold the standard, much less even recognize that one exists.

Absolutely ridiculous.

No wonder my peers don't even know why voting for an Anti-Labor candidate is bad. They have no grasp of the fact that this is still a PROFESSION and a CAREER to some people.

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

This is ridiculous.

Absolutely ridiculous.

:sitaware:

You know, I'm not even a pilot, professionaly, yet, and it makes me sick when people think it is okay to make $20K, because they get to fly a shiny jet. It makes me sick, when people literally would line up to fly a 747, for free. It makes me sick that people want to go into a career, they view as a "hobby", and bring it down, for the rest, who rely on it to support their family.

I had a friend several weeks ago make the comment about wanting to start an airline. This guy is not a pilot, and knows nothing about pilot pay, etc. Of couse, I informed him it wouldn't be a good idea. He got off on the "what would we pay the employees?". I told him I bet we can get pilots to show up and pay us to fly the planes ... he looked at me like I was stupid. I began explaining it to him. Sad, sad fact is, it is probably 100% true. I am sure VirginAmerica, and SkyBus could have made some deal to have pilots come pay $50/hr to fly an A320. People would line up, because they'd get to fly an A320 for 1/3 the price of the 172 they are buzzing around in.

As long as the above remains the case, the career will never amount to much, other than a "hobby".

This is ridiculous.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Back