Iran AF F-4/F-5/F-14

The USN should've invited some Iran AF Tomcat crews as a goodwill gesture to the final retirement of the USN Tomcats.

To add, would've been cool to get a speech or presentation from one of their crews, and even more badass: a one-time, final goodbye to the USN Tomcat of a formation or division of two IRIAF Tomcats and two USN Tomcats flying together; what a photo op that would've been!

To add, would've been cool to get a speech or presentation from one of their crews, and even more badass: a one-time, final goodbye to the USN Tomcat of a formation or division of two IRIAF Tomcats and two USN Tomcats flying together; what a photo op that would've been!

Yeah, hmm, IMS, the retirement happened round about 2006? I can forsee a potential hiccup or two... ;)

The Iranians scored 100+ kills in the F-14 Tomcat, 50 or so in the F-4 and many in the F-5E Tiger II as well. I'm not sure if the F-5 scored air to air kills anywhere else.
You had leave that question hanging, didn't you. As it turns out, it looks like the F-5 is the plane of choice for mercenary pilots. According to the Interwebs, a pair of Israeli pilots flying Ethiopian F-5's bagged a pair of Somali MiG-21's and a Taiwanese pilot is said to have a kill flying for North Yemen against an unspecified South Yemeni aircraft.

As it turns out, it looks like the F-5 is the plane of choice for mercenary pilots.

There is, of course, the famous old saw that the F-20 lost out to the F-16 based purely on Northrup failing to line the right pockets with the correct amount of loot. Anyone want to weigh in on that one?

There is, of course, the famous old saw that the F-20 lost out to the F-16 based purely on Northrup failing to line the right pockets with the correct amount of loot. Anyone want to weigh in on that one?

I do remember Yeager speaking very highly of the F-20 back in the day.

You had leave that question hanging, didn't you. As it turns out, it looks like the F-5 is the plane of choice for mercenary pilots. According to the Interwebs, a pair of Israeli pilots flying Ethiopian F-5's bagged a pair of Somali MiG-21's and a Taiwanese pilot is said to have a kill flying for North Yemen against an unspecified South Yemeni aircraft.

Mercenary fighter pilots? There is still such a thing? Count me in! :bounce:

Mercenary fighter pilots? There is still such a thing? Count me in! :bounce:

World's second oldest profession. Doubt they advertise in "Flying Magazine", and I'd imagine they'd want to see some credentials, or at least some cool patches. But where there are people killing each other, there are people killing each other for money. Bank on it.

I'm well aware of the mercenary world, just didn't realize there were random fighter jets floating around for the highest bidder like in Ace Combat. Is the pay comparable to a gunner working for a private contractor in Iraq or Afghanistan?

I'm well aware of the mercenary world, just didn't realize there were random fighter jets floating around for the highest bidder like in Ace Combat. Is the pay comparable to a gunner working for a private contractor in Iraq or Afghanistan?

I'm speaking way out of my depth on this one, but I rather suspect that it's one of those "if you have to ask" kind of dealies...

It's sort of like becoming a Test Pilot, except, you know, much cooler. And I would imagine with a somewhat reduced life expectancy.

PS. Can't be arsed to find it, but back in the various unpleasantnesses of the 60s/70s in Africa (Biafra, Angola, etc etc), mercs did most of the flying, from what I've been able to glean. Eastern Bloc mercs in MIGs and mostly Western Europeans in, well, anything with wings and hardpoints. I believe there's a famous incident where some ragtag Swedes ruined some tin-pot dictator's whole day flying some little bugsmashers with ingeniously mounted FFARs...

I'm speaking way out of my depth on this one, but I rather suspect that it's one of those "if you have to ask" kind of dealies...

I'm messing around... Aviation is a small circle to begin with, so I'm guessing the size of the mercenary fighter pilot circle makes the "lighter than air" circle look like mainline.

Back