Iran AF F-4/F-5/F-14

My primary instructor at flight school was a former Iranian Battalion Commander. He exited along with the overthrow!
He was (and most likely still is) an awesome person and instructor....will never forget his knowledge, assistance and, esp, his patience!

The absence of contrary data is not the same as validation of a claim. No serious historian would ever form a hypothesis based purely on anecdotal data from personal interviews, and then publish it as fact with no supporting data. It is perfectly valid to question Cooper's numbers given that there is precisely zero independently verifiable evidence of the data he used to arrive at it.

I don't know Cooper personally, but a very good friend of mine is a well respected, widely published aviation journalist and author over in the UK. He, and some of his other well-known and respected author colleagues I've spoken with, have questions about other (verifiable) things Cooper has written, thus that doubt extends into his work on the Iranian combat claims.

Have you read his work, studied his sources? Which specifically, his data and sources are not valid? It's valid to question it but without your own research, your opinion on the matter holds absolutely no water, no matter how you word it or what you want to believe. I know Dave Parsons, friends with Cooper, worked with him, he knows his research, valid as can be with what is available. Who are these authors you have spoken to, what are their names? Funny how skeptics abound but never have their own data to back that skepticism. I welcome anyone to research the matter, present a valid contradiction to his work, gives for a more accurate account of the history. Until then, his research and numbers are what they are.

Dave "Hey Joe" Parson is co-author on this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Grumman-F-14-Tomcat-Reminiscences-Service/dp/0760339813

I can give you or give him your info, he can put you in contact with Cooper so you can discuss your issues with the validity of his research. Let him know why you think it's not valid, why your "friends" have issues with its validity and you guys can discuss it.

Last edited:
Have you read his work, studied his sources? Which specifically, his data and sources are not valid? It's valid to question it but without your own research, your opinion on the matter holds absolutely no water, no matter how you word it or what you want to believe. I know Dave Parsons, friends with Cooper, worked with him, he knows his research, valid as can be with what is available. Who are these authors you have spoken to, what are their names? Funny how skeptics abound but never have their own data to back that skepticism. I welcome anyone to research the matter, present a valid contradiction to his work, gives for a more accurate account of the history. Until then, his research and numbers are what they are.

Dave "Hey Joe" Parson is co-author on this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Grumman-F-14-Tomcat-Reminiscences-Service/dp/0760339813

I can give you or give him your info, he can put you in contact with Cooper so you can discuss your issues with the validity of his research. Let him know why you think it's not valid, why your "friends" have issues with its validity and you guys can discuss it.
Among aviation researchers, the standard for establishing the credibility of kills has included the comparison of official kill/loss documentation of the belligerents. Likewise, intelligence of neutral parties is examined.

To what extent was Cooper able to achieve this standard? I haven't read the book but if we are throwing names into the hat, Dale Snodgrass has described the Iranian claims as "•".

I'll be in College Park in a few months and see if there has been any recently declassified material on the subject.

Well in JC fashion since we are off topic i got a funny story about Iranians back in late 1979 while i was at USAF ATC school at Keesler AFB,this was just a week or two before our embassy was taken over. One of our USAF NCOs who was cross training into ATC went up to a Iranian Air Force NCO who was also at Keeslar for ATC training and during one of our morning breaks asked this question (he said to me "kid watch this" )

" hay bubby nice to see you where you from ? "

" Iran"

" yea thats nice but where you from ? "

" IRAN"

" yea you said that , thats nice , but where you from ? "

"IRAN IRAN !!!!!!!!! "

" lisiten you walked you ran , i dont care how you got here where you from ? "

AH the good OLD USAF !!!!!

It's valid to question it but without your own research, your opinion on the matter holds absolutely no water, no matter how you word it or what you want to believe.
That's not how peer review works in science or history, where it is ABSOLUTELY acceptable to question research methodology with ZERO research in the subject of scrutiny.

Back