Interesting ALPA Update

Seggy

Came today in the email...

January 23, 2016

Fellow ALPA members,

During 2015 ALPA achieved new or extended agreements at Canadian North, CommutAir, FedEx Express, Jazz, KF Aerospace, Sun Country, and Trans States. We’re still in the first month of 2016, and already we’ve seen positive results thanks to the hard work of ALPA MECs and their negotiating teams. With so much going on, I’d like to provide a brief update on some of our negotiations and related activities. While much work remains at many ALPA pilot groups, recently these groups have made strides in securing improvements in areas such as pay, benefits, career advancement, and job security.

We learned Friday morning that the United pilots overwhelmingly approved a two-year extension to their collective bargaining agreement with United Continental Holdings Inc. This agreement provides for significant pay increases and extends the amendable date of the United Pilot Agreement to January 31, 2019.

United MEC chairman Capt. Jay Heppner said it best in his public statement that this agreement "recognizes the professionalism and contributions our pilots make each day to the success of United Airlines."

Congratulations to the many who contributed to this outcome.

The Bearskin pilots are voting on a tentative agreement (TA) reached last week for a new five-year collective agreement. The agreement includes annual pay increases and improves nontaxable benefits while providing the company additional flexibility in some work rules. Voting on the agreement closes January 28.

In our efforts to reach a fair contract, at times we must deploy tactics rarely used. That is the situation at Air Transat, where TSC pilots have endured months of slow, unsuccessful, and at times regressive bargaining by a management that refuses to recognize that the TSC pilots are lagging behind the rest of the industry. Last week, the pilots began voting on a strike ballot that authorizes their MEC to pursue self-help should their bargaining efforts fail. We look forward to a strong demonstration of solidarity and support for the MEC and its Negotiating Committee. The vote closes on February 1.

In other negotiations-related news, the Endeavor Air pilots are now enjoying the work rules contained in LOA 71, or the Mutual Benefit Agreement. This LOA provides increased open-time percentages and improvements to premium pay, vacation pay, deadheading provisions, and other benefits. This management team heard ALPA’s arguments about a pay shortage driving pilots away from fee-for-departure jobs, and the agreement also includes increased pay rates for first-year pilots, a contractual bonus for pilots hired after January 1 of this year, and retention bonus improvements for all pilots.

Last week, we saw measurable progress for the ASA and ExpressJet pilots. With the National Mediation Board’s (NMB) assistance, the pilot negotiators resolved many outstanding issues with management on their Modified Transition and Process Agreement and their respective contract-extension LOAs. The Negotiating Committees spent this week finalizing their separate contract extensions with management, which provide quality-of-life and economic improvements for both pilot groups along with a process for resuming joint collective bargaining agreement negotiations in the future. Each MEC will meet next week to review their respective agreements.

Last year, the Air Wisconsin, Delta, and Mesa pilots rejected tentative agreements, and their MECs have been working to refocus and renew their bargaining efforts. Both the Mesa and Air Wisconsin pilots currently are evaluating their situations and preparing for the resumption of negotiations. The Delta pilots have completed their internal work, including conducting a pilot survey, and have returned to the bargaining table with a new, comprehensive proposal to management. Their talks continue next week.

And our two newest ALPA groups, JetBlue and Virgin America, are thoroughly engaged in the bargaining process. The JetBlue pilots have made good strides toward securing their first ALPA contract, concluding most of the administrative sections of their agreement and focusing on the operational sections. At Virgin, we sent our Notice to Bargain on the heels of NMB-facilitated negotiations training just a few weeks ago. First sessions are scheduled for the first week in February and, in true Virgin America fashion, I believe they will exceed expectations and come out of that week with several TAs.

In addition to all the activity detailed above, your Association is also very busy supporting ongoing contract negotiations at Air Transport International, First Air, Hawaiian, and Spirit, while also preparing for contract openers later this year at Island Air, Jazz, and Wasaya. All of this adds up to a very busy year of bargaining for ALPA. Our professional resources are second to none in this industry and will be fully deployed to meet these challenges.

Finally, as we continue to pour our efforts and resources into building better contracts that lead to the quality of life all of our members deserve, we remain focused on ALPA’s vision to represent all airline pilots in the United States and Canada.

To that end, I’m happy to announce that this week by a vote of 9–0, the Frontier Airline Pilots Association (FAPA) Board of Directors approved a resolution supporting the ALPA/FAPA merger agreement. This is an important step in the path toward a possible merger of the two unions. ALPA’s Executive Council will consider the agreement next week.

Similarly, the Aircrew Officers Association of Canada (AOA Canada) pilot leaders are busy educating their members about the benefits of merging with ALPA. While that process is still in its early stages, we look forward to welcoming the FAPA, AOA Canada, and hopefully many more pilot groups into ALPA, as building our collective voice makes the piloting profession that much stronger.

For a comprehensive overview of all ALPA’s pilot groups, please read the latest issue of Air Line Pilot magazine, which includes an update from each of our 30 pilot groups representing the 52,000 pilots of your union.

Together—united as pilot groups and as a union—we can and will be successful. Whether it is seeing positive results at the negotiating table or raising a collective voice on Capitol and Parliament Hill, for 85 years ALPA has been a positive force for change and progress in our industry.

canoll-signature.gif

Tim Canoll

Great news about organizing!

The AOA Canada Pilots are the Cathy Pacific Pilots based in YVR. I am also glad the Frontier Pilots are looking to come over as well.

ALPA has too many irons in the fire. They represent mainline and regionals. This seems like a conflict of interest. No? They are expanding internationally. I wonder if Norwegian Air shuttle and ME3 will eventually seek representation from ALPA...

They also represent cargo pilots.

You have a common misconception that because they represent everyone and have many irons in the fire there are conflicts of interest. From flying for an airline with one of the smallest airlines in ALPA to one of the largest, the representation is second to none no matter who you fly for. Simply put, there are no conflict of interests.

You have a common misconception that because they represent everyone and have many irons in the fire there are conflicts of interest. From flying for an airline with one of the smallest airlines in ALPA to one of the largest, the representation is second to none no matter who you fly for. Simply put, there are no conflict of interests.
lol.

Seriously no conflict of interest?

How does ALPA represent you and the guys flying YOUR flying in RJ's for less $$?

YOU should be doing all your flying and THEY should have your work rules and pay.

Big swing and a miss seggy.

I'm a supporter of DPA. I like working in a union that represents itself and not regionals or foreign carriers. (Although currently APA only seems to serve old farts in TX)
An AA, DL, UAL, SWA single union would have great leverage.
So are you saying there are no checks and balances and your independant union leaders do what they want to continue the gravy train? Sounds awful.

AOA Canada's main agenda is to force Cathay to allow Canadian pilots to bid vacancies in the USA, despite Cathays policy of needing the right to live and work there. This is a big disservice to the Americans at CX. In addition, AOA Canada is on of three or four internal "unions" at Cathay. It doesn't work. Imagine if Delta or United had sesperate pilot unions in each base? All looking out for their own needs? Is there any unity in that? Is there any strength in negotiating anything in that? Can you divide and conquer if you are management in relentlessly? Yup.

I'm a supporter of DPA. I like working in a union that represents itself and not regionals or foreign carriers. (Although currently APA only seems to serve old farts in TX

So what I hear you saying is that a union that represents only one pilot group is great... but the personal experience just that kind of system sucks because there is no oversight and the senior guys make it all about themselves.

Did I get that right?

Seriously no conflict of interest?

How does ALPA represent you and the guys flying YOUR flying in RJ's for less $$?

YOU should be doing all your flying and THEY should have your work rules and pay.

Big swing and a miss seggy.
ALPA would have to convince mainline they should fly those types, and while you may lead a horse to water, it may not drink. In any case, the regional industry and it's joke pay was a choice by all pilots. Mainline chose to push that flying off, regional pilots chose to fly it for free. Wages at the regionals have risen as the quantity of those like minded pilots have dwindled. The thought that regionals and mainline are at opposite ends of a rope has been stated in the past, and in some limited examples even given life, but the same argument could be used for mainline v mainline. There's only so many routes and passengers out there, United ALPA fights against Delta ALPA as Delta ALPA fights against an Endeavor (insert brand name regionals) ALPA. Of course at some point, you have to grow up and realize management is the enemy, and the pilots aren't pulling in the exact same direction, but we are both pulling in the same general direction. The only one on the wrong side of the rope here is management and their labor slashing objectives.

At this particular time, ALPA regionals and mainline are both doing better without hurting one another. National lets each regional and mainline union work within themselves, and right now their goals are mostly aligned. Now I suppose there is a possibility that as regionals shrink, and only lifers remain, that some regionals could create goals in antithesis to mainline's continued operation, however, Scope has isolated much of that for regionals and mainline.

The majority of regional pilots in regional airlines are wistfully counting their days until they become a mainline pilot. While a small number may want their regional to grow up to be a mainline style aircraft with Airbus's or the like, they are in the minority and their goals excluded.

Train engineers and conductors, welders, metal workers, even some engineering groups all seem to do just fine on the conflict of interest annoyances that may arise which you've outlined. In fact unions may not be completely homogeneous, and that would almost matter, if there wasn't the stupidly obvious fact staring every pilot in the face. Your enemy isn't other pilots, unless scabs, your enemy is management and their goal to grind down your future wealth. If pilots had any brains, it would all be one union, one contract, but no. No, we will instead pretend the gross minority of pilots are somehow a threat to the overwhelming majority, and even easier if they wear a different uniform. Management is our friend now I suppose, that last decade plus a blurry memory, and proving an ultimate proof: Pilots are pilots worse enemy, just as a man is his own worst enemy. Simplier put, stupid is as stupid does.

I'm not a DPA guy because we can really fix our own shop by continuing to flush out the cabal that needs to go back to flying the line. Not sure if we wouldn't end up with the same situation with any other organization.

I'm not thrilled with national because they take our flushed cabal and appoint them to positions on national with extreme regularity. "Yay! We got rid of X! X is doing WHAT at national? Daaaaaaa hell? Ahh, figures."

It's like a ok-ish Winnebago with compression issues that needs oil and some preventative maintenance, but we keep adding old, dirty oil, poorly filtered gasoline from a Coachella Arco station and adding more trailers to pull behind it.

So what I hear you saying is that a union that represents only one pilot group is great... but the personal experience just that kind of system sucks because there is no oversight and the senior guys make it all about themselves.

Did I get that right?

Yes, Exactly. I'd rather have a union that looked out for its own rather than pilots that don't work for the same airline (regionals). Our senior guys are working for our pilots. Maybe the senior ones more than the junior guys right now. I will retire very senior at my company (no matter how the SLI goes) I hope at that time I choose to look after the junior guys.

ALPA ain't the boy scouts either...

Last edited:
ALPA would have to convince mainline they should fly those types, and while you may lead a horse to water, it may not drink. In any case, the regional industry and it's joke pay was a choice by all pilots. Mainline chose to push that flying off, regional pilots chose to fly it for free. Wages at the regionals have risen as the quantity of those like minded pilots have dwindled. The thought that regionals and mainline are at opposite ends of a rope has been stated in the past, and in some limited examples even given life, but the same argument could be used for mainline v mainline. There's only so many routes and passengers out there, United ALPA fights against Delta ALPA as Delta ALPA fights against an Endeavor (insert brand name regionals) ALPA. Of course at some point, you have to grow up and realize management is the enemy, and the pilots aren't pulling in the exact same direction, but we are both pulling in the same general direction. The only one on the wrong side of the rope here is management and their labor slashing objectives.

At this particular time, ALPA regionals and mainline are both doing better without hurting one another. National lets each regional and mainline union work within themselves, and right now their goals are mostly aligned. Now I suppose there is a possibility that as regionals shrink, and only lifers remain, that some regionals could create goals in antithesis to mainline's continued operation, however, Scope has isolated much of that for regionals and mainline.

The majority of regional pilots in regional airlines are wistfully counting their days until they become a mainline pilot. While a small number may want their regional to grow up to be a mainline style aircraft with Airbus's or the like, they are in the minority and their goals excluded.

Train engineers and conductors, welders, metal workers, even some engineering groups all seem to do just fine on the conflict of interest annoyances that may arise which you've outlined. In fact unions may not be completely homogeneous, and that would almost matter, if there wasn't the stupidly obvious fact staring every pilot in the face. Your enemy isn't other pilots, unless scabs, your enemy is management and their goal to grind down your future wealth. If pilots had any brains, it would all be one union, one contract, but no. No, we will instead pretend the gross minority of pilots are somehow a threat to the overwhelming majority, and even easier if they wear a different uniform. Management is our friend now I suppose, that last decade plus a blurry memory, and proving an ultimate proof: Pilots are pilots worse enemy, just as a man is his own worst enemy. Simplier put, stupid is as stupid does.

Bring ALL the regionals to mainline and bargain for one contract for all pilots and I'm onboard with ALPA.

It's not going to happen. The whipsaw works. And yes, there are flaws with my plan as well.

It's a broken system.

Bring ALL the regionals to mainline and bargain for one contract for all pilots and I'm onboard with ALPA.

It's not going to happen. The whipsaw works. And yes, there are flaws with my plan as well.

It's a broken system.
The only thing broken are the pilots. There's no will, no solidarity, and no uniform plan. The union system is fine as long as pilots care enough to keep their reps honest. ALPA does a good job, but it can't change minds and influence pilots with facts, and I blame that on the pilots.

The only thing broken are the pilots. There's no will, no solidarity, and no uniform plan. The union system is fine as long as pilots care enough to keep their reps honest. ALPA does a good job, but it can't change minds and influence pilots with facts, and I blame that on the pilots.

Spot on.

Best thing that ever happened to the pilots was management deciding to underpay them and see how far down they could get pay before something turned. Oops. Pattern bargaining will be back in a big way for the next 2 years. Pilots will do very well in spite of themselves.

Back