Interesting ALPA Update

AOA Canada's main agenda is to force Cathay to allow Canadian pilots to bid vacancies in the USA, despite Cathays policy of needing the right to live and work there. This is a big disservice to the Americans at CX. In addition, AOA Canada is on of three or four internal "unions" at Cathay. It doesn't work. Imagine if Delta or United had sesperate pilot unions in each base? All looking out for their own needs? Is there any unity in that? Is there any strength in negotiating anything in that? Can you divide and conquer if you are management in relentlessly? Yup.

Multiple unions are common outside the airline industry, sometimes for the same employee group. Most companies deal with it just fine.

says this guy:

koolaid.bmp

Ok.

Seriously no conflict of interest?

How does ALPA represent you and the guys flying YOUR flying in RJ's for less $$?

YOU should be doing all your flying and THEY should have your work rules and pay.

Big swing and a miss seggy.

Yes, no conflict of interest and certainly not a swing and a miss.

Guess you haven't noticed scope choke is working.

AOA Canada's main agenda is to force Cathay to allow Canadian pilots to bid vacancies in the USA, despite Cathays policy of needing the right to live and work there. This is a big disservice to the Americans at CX. In addition, AOA Canada is on of three or four internal "unions" at Cathay. It doesn't work. Imagine if Delta or United had sesperate pilot unions in each base? All looking out for their own needs? Is there any unity in that? Is there any strength in negotiating anything in that? Can you divide and conquer if you are management in relentlessly? Yup.

Didn't the Cathy Pacific Pilots in the states organize?

Yes, Exactly. I'd rather have a union that looked out for its own rather than pilots that don't work for the same airline (regionals). Our senior guys are working for our pilots. Maybe the senior ones more than the junior guys right now. I will retire very senior at my company (no matter how the SLI goes) I hope at that time I choose to look after the junior guys.

ALPA ain't the boy scouts either...

Hmmmmm.....I flew with a local council strike chair the other day that was 62.5 years old and very senior. He is looking out for the junior guys like myself with his volunteer work. So, not sure what you are getting at.

We must have a different definition of "working"

View attachment 34139View attachment 34140
I'm sure none of the legacies had run into any financial problems in the last two decades and needed Chapter 11 restructuring thus forcing pilot contracts to be "restructured" as well. :rolleyes:

Scope isn't required in section 6 negotations so the fact that they have shrunk the regional fleet is a good thing. Sadly it does increase the amount of 70+ seat aircraft at the regionals but the 50 seaters are way down and the legacies are required to grow their single aisle fleet to get more 70+ seat aircraft.

Working? As in regionals flying larger, longer range aircraft?
We must have a different definition of "working"

View attachment 34139View attachment 34140

Regionals shrinking in total number of pilots and airplanes? If we can shrink the regionals down to a fixed number through scope i would think you all would be happy with that. Plus scope is further incentivised by tieing rj growth to mainline growth, aggregate of jobs always going to mainline.

It might be a bit intellectually disingenuous to attritube the current death knell of the regionals from 21k down to 2-5k pilots(2016 being the further slide down from 18k) as anything other than the 1500 hour rule and training costs quadrupling.

Regionals shrinking in total number of pilots and airplanes? If we can shrink the regionals down to a fixed number through scope i would think you all would be happy with that. Plus scope is further incentivised by tieing rj growth to mainline growth, aggregate of jobs always going to mainline.

It might be a bit intellectually disingenuous to attritube the current death knell of the regionals from 21k down to 2-5k pilots(2016 being the further slide down from 18k) as anything other than the 1500 hour rule and training costs quadrupling.

The 1500 hour rule is part of it sure, an ALPA volunteer was chair of that ARC. So, ALPA helped from that end. Also if you look at the order patterns, Section 1 limitations of the contracts are also playing a part of this.

Last edited:
Back