Instrument currency

bLizZuE

Calling for engine starts en français
I am feeling pretty dumb.

I’m almost certain that instrument currency as a 121 pilot is tied to landing currency. Three thuds in ninety days. Current.

Why can’t I find that? Everyone laugh at the CFI/CFII/MEI that can’t read the CFR.

I don’t see anything in there that specifies instrument currency.

§61.57 Recent flight experience: Pilot in command.
(e) Exceptions. (1) Paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section do not apply to a pilot in command who is employed by a part 119 certificate holder authorized to conduct operations under part 125 when the pilot is engaged in a flight operation for that certificate holder if the pilot in command is in compliance with §§125.281 and 125.285 of this chapter.
(2) This section does not apply to a pilot in command who is employed by a part 119 certificate holder authorized to conduct operations under part 121 when the pilot is engaged in a flight operation under part 91 or 121 for that certificate holder if the pilot in command complies with §§121.436 and 121.439 of this chapter.

§61.57 Recent flight experience: Pilot in command.
(e) Exceptions. (1) Paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section do not apply to a pilot in command who is employed by a part 119 certificate holder authorized to conduct operations under part 125 when the pilot is engaged in a flight operation for that certificate holder if the pilot in command is in compliance with §§125.281 and 125.285 of this chapter.
(2) This section does not apply to a pilot in command who is employed by a part 119 certificate holder authorized to conduct operations under part 121 when the pilot is engaged in a flight operation under part 91 or 121 for that certificate holder if the pilot in command complies with §§121.436 and 121.439 of this chapter.
Winner. Presumed qualified by virtue of wearing a funny suit.

Truth; finding a hold is occasionally difficult (though an archaic and honestly ridiculous requirement).
Easy enough if anything near you has a hold-in-lieu. Also since a normal PT doesn’t specify how the PT is to be flown, only where, you could do a holding pattern entry on any PT type approach and call it good.

Why would I need an IPC?
If you have continuously kept your IFR 12 month currency in an unbroken chain since your last IPC I suppose you’re good to go for non-airline IFR operations. Which is probably actually the case for most folks who went CFI->airline.

FSDO called me back (within an hour) and said just log the approaches, hold, and obviously the intercepting/tracking happens every flight.

Don’t know why I thought the three takeoffs and landings counted towards instrument currency.

I guess it’s part of 121.439 that is referenced in 61.57 which exempts you from instrument currency requirements as long as you make three takeoffs and landings in 90 days but this exemption only applies when you’re operating for the airline.

Back