Ice Ice Baby

JumpWake

Picked up a little ice going in to O'Hare a couple nights ago. The ice stopped somewhere around 4,000 and this was after we'd been on the ground for 10 mins or so....a lot of it blew off on final.

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

Had a ramper come up and say to us he'd worked there 13 years and never saw it that bad...I didn't think it was that bad...:buck:

Wonder if the 206 that crashed the other day looked like this.

Nose cone sure looks like it had fun...

That there's some wicked moderate icing.

Gotta love that stuff- makes ya salty. Also really makes you appreciate the calm, clear, sunny days.

Seriously man be careful out there with ice. Don't be lulled into the idea that a jet with anti-ice is impervious to ice.

Common scenario- We're picking up moderate ice, it's caking all around the windshield and wiper mechanisms. I say, "How's about we ask for lower," FO, "Why?" Me, "Cause of the ice." FO, "But we have anti-ice..."

I'm just busting your balls, but that has to get the passengers' attention to have the flight crew hop out and start taking pictures of the plane. :D

Seriously man be careful out there with ice. Don't be lulled into the idea that a jet with anti-ice is impervious to ice.

Common scenario- We're picking up moderate ice, it's caking all around the windshield and wiper mechanisms. I say, "How's about we ask for lower," FO, "Why?" Me, "Cause of the ice." FO, "But we have anti-ice..."

The 200 is the worst. There may be an AD coming out (or has it come out) for temperature sensors to be put somewhere in the wing leading edge, since the system only tells you that "yeah there's hot air going towards the wing" but it can't tell you for sure if the wing is hot.

Also.... woop-de-doo if the ice-detector probe doesn't indicate ice.

that is a hard concept to teach students too

Seriously!!! I had this same conversation once.

To continue the conversation:

Me: "That's to get OUT of it, not to CRUISE in it for 2 hours!!!"

What sort of icing conditions would trigger you to want to leave it if you get an ICE annunciation? Light/medium/heavy? I only ask because the only time I encountered ice in a light airplane we had to descend, but so far, I haven't had a CA even bring up climbing or descending.... just "flip on the switches".

It astounds me that people still think this way. It's like your hotel is burning down, and when the evac order comes you say "no, its all good....we have sprinklers". Even if you were fully confident that your anti-ice gear was holding its own, why not get out of it? How do you know it isn't going to get worse before it gets better? What about the parts of the a/c w/o icing protection? Feel like being a test pilot? :banghead:

Well, normally it's the sudden stop after impact that kills ya, but I see where you're going there. ;)

-mini

I guess you're right. Unless you're actually "out in the ice" riding on the wing, then maybe the frozen icy conditions may get you.:D

I'm just busting your balls, but that has to get the passengers' attention to have the flight crew hop out and start taking pictures of the plane. :D

Well, all the passengers were gone, and I was watching them as they deplaned and none of them noticed. Actually the bigger scene was when a van full of rampers were driving by...stopped...backed up and unloaded right in front of the airplane and started taking pictures. I just snapped a couple on my post-flight walk around.

It doesn't help the fact that we deplaned on the ramp and half the passengers were standing around waiting for their carry-ons in full view of that spectacle.

:yeahthat:

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

[yt]Vp-is6S_b_g[/yt]

No. Just no. :)

Back