Ice Ice Baby

I think the ERJ turns on the anti ice automatically. The CRJ has to have the switches thrown manually. We've got an ice detector on both sides of the nose. It's basically a little rubber nub that vibrates in the slipstream. If the vibration changes a set amount due to ice accumulation it will trigger an ice alert. It then heats itself to melt of any ice that may have formed and then starts monitoring for a change in vibration frequency again. Pretty nifty design actually.

Yeah, what BobDDuck said.

I think it's called a rosemont probe. It's shaped to collect ice super-efficiently. Looks like an airfoil section that has a 1.5" little piece of round metal on the end of it (the actual vibrating sensor). When it does, it initiates a quick heat cycle. As the frequency returns to normal, the heat is turned off and it tries to collect more.

That little probe picks up ice in some funny places, and yet some times none where you'd swear it'd make the windshield ice up.

The Embraer 145 and EJets flip on the A/I automagically. The -400 does too.

I think the ERJ turns on the anti ice automatically. The CRJ has to have the switches thrown manually. We've got an ice detector on both sides of the nose. It's basically a little rubber nub that vibrates in the slipstream. If the vibration changes a set amount due to ice accumulation it will trigger an ice alert. It then heats itself to melt of any ice that may have formed and then starts monitoring for a change in vibration frequency again. Pretty nifty design actually.

Yep. ICE CONDITION. Magic.

Ice prot. comes on automatically and the FADECs adjust the engines accordingly.

I am going to aviation purgatory for correcting people with more experience but....

Rosemont probe = TAT probe

and I didn't know the Ice Detector Probe had any rubber..... I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Fancy!
We look out the window...

It gets better.

Not only does the airplane announce ice detection and turn on all the heat, it'll advance the Stall Protection System (SPS) for shaker and pusher activation to compensate for hot leading edges.

It's damned near idiot proof. If you can't make it flying an ERJ, switch jobs.

Fancy!
We look out the window...

Fo real.

In the saab its OAT, and then just plane looking outside at the wing, and the prop hub to see how close its getting to the painted on line. Haha

And if you're lucky the engine anti-ice wont fail.

I am going to aviation purgatory for correcting people with more experience but....

Rosemont probe = TAT probe

and I didn't know the Ice Detector Probe had any rubber..... I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

I think Rosemont is a manufacturer. A TAT probe is a product, just like the Ice Detector.

I prolly shouldn't have used the term "Rosemont probe"

Awww, why not? I don't consider any ground lesson addressing icing to be complete if I have not hummed the first few bars of that song to help jog the student's memory.

Hahah! I'd be lying if I said I've never done that, too. :laff:

Dont forget several flights were doomed due to ice.

SAS Flight 751 in December of 1991
Air Florida Flight 90 in January of 1982
American Eagle Flight 4184 in October of 1994
Continental Airlines Flight 1713 in November 1987
And US Air Flight 405 in March of 1992

Ice is nothing to underestimate. It is a quiet killer. Pilots, please be careful and never assume that your instruments are telling you the complete story. Its better to error on the side of safety that to have your aircraft upset without the ability to regain control.

Safe flying to all. :rawk:

On a serious note, SafetyEngineer is totally right. Ice is deadly.

On a funny note, we just all got schooled on ice by a guy from the DESERT.

For shame, for shame! :)

In the saab its OAT, and then just plane looking outside at the wing, and the prop hub to see how close its getting to the painted on line.
And if you're lucky the engine anti-ice wont fail.

Problem in the CRJ is you can't see much of the wing. Best place to look is on the wiper blade attachment nut and the base of the wipers. You can also see a little bit of the outboard section of the wing, but when you are flying in reduced visibility it's hard to tell if there is anything out there.

Problem in the CRJ is you can't see much of the wing. Best place to look is on the wiper blade attachment nut and the base of the wipers. You can also see a little bit of the outboard section of the wing, but when you are flying in reduced visibility it's hard to tell if there is anything out there.

On the ERJ it's usually a small "puff" of ice in the lower right hand corner of the captain's windscreen (or the lower left of the FO's) where it shows up first...3 seconds later the ice detectors pick it up.

Dont forget several flights were doomed due to ice.

SAS Flight 751 in December of 1991
Air Florida Flight 90 in January of 1982
American Eagle Flight 4184 in October of 1994
Continental Airlines Flight 1713 in November 1987
And US Air Flight 405 in March of 1992

Ice is nothing to underestimate. It is a quiet killer. Pilots, please be careful and never assume that your instruments are telling you the complete story. Its better to error on the side of safety that to have your aircraft upset without the ability to regain control.

Safe flying to all. :rawk:

Don't forget the couple of Challengers that have gone down due to ice. Actually, with that aircraft I think the real problem was not going down, but not going up. Not going up followed by going off the end of the runway at 150 knots.

Be careful with ice.

Back