I want an airplane -help me spend my money

A few things:

Up until the late 80s, GA was affordable to a WIDE strata of folks. Not everyone wanted or needed a hangar. Planes had less age on them, and the affects of LONG term exposure to the elements was less understood (or cared about).

These days, everyone knows corrosion and exposure to the elements is a long term problem. Sure ACF-50 or Corrosion X help, but with paint jobs costing north of 10k, and the effects of sitting outside, more people want to protect their investment. it seems like more an more of the people who are involved are pretty well off and can afford an extra $500/mo.

The GA fleet is dwindling. Every ramp derelict and every accident (apart from the any tragedy, obviously) reduces the fleet. Even a minor incident or wind damage can render an airframe beyond economical repair.

Most of these aircraft are utterly irreplaceable.

It's no wonder people want hangars. I play $350/mo for mine. Well, well worth it.

As for the economic issues affecting GA prices. Despite the doom and/or gloom, there are STILL a lot of people out there flying. Good, clean airplanes still change hands quickly.

Richman

You're not going to "carry four adults plus minimal baggage" in a Citabria or a Decathlon. You'll be approaching (possibly exceeding) max gross with just two adults and full fuel.
Did your mission change?
I've been thinking of getting a Decathlon and flying aerobatics while I build a 4-place Bearhawk.
I seriously need a Bearhawk.

I'd say you're exactly right, at least base don what we see here. The two GA airports in Tampa Bay that are successful (i.e. break even) are Albert Whitted (SPG) and Peter O'Knight (TPF). Both are located near the urban core, and in high dollar neighborhoods. Put simply, they're close to where the money is.

Well, the cities own the airports, and airports are one of the few city properties that make money. Parks, golf courses, libraries? All money losers. But airports rent hangars and sell gas at a big markup, a good chunk of which goes to the city. If the cities managed them themselves, they would probably make even more.

Given what a hangar goes for at Whitted though - I would just save my money every month towards new paint / new airplane.

That's the one thing that confuses the hell out of me. I predicted that used GA piston aircraft prices would plummet by now, which they haven't. There are others on here who can speak more to it than I can, but some potential theories:

They are still pretty low. There is a floor on the price though. Eventually it is more profitable to part them out.

If you've ever priced out piston engines - you can often find them with a nearly free airframe attached.

Well, the cities own the airports, and airports are one of the few city properties that make money. Parks, golf courses, libraries? All money losers. But airports rent hangars and sell gas at a big markup, a good chunk of which goes to the city. If the cities managed them themselves, they would probably make even more.

Given what a hangar goes for at Whitted though - I would just save my money every month towards new paint / new airplane.

The vast majority of GA airports lose money. TPF breaks even, which is our best. I imagine Whitted probably does the same.

The vast majority of GA airports lose money. TPF breaks even, which is our best. I imagine Whitted probably does the same.

Then the cities/counties and/or local authorities are free to return the land to the Feds, where a large number of airports came from.

I used to think national politics was bad until I saw how things work at the local level.

Richman

Back