I survived calcapt's landing

Listen you two, great landings come from a combination of skills. All it takes is a long, smooth approach. Gentle, precise manipulation of the controls. Natural, seat-of-the pants stick and throttle work...applying and reducing thrust when necessary. A soft, silky touchdown followed by a long, luxurious rollout using minimum reverse thrust and a loving touch on the brakes. Then a stately taxi to the gate so the passengers can revel in the experience they've just had.

Nothing to it, really.

Velo, no wonder 99.3 percent of your passengers are female. Can you send me some detailed instructions on some of this stuff? Being a Carrier Pilot, my routine has been to get it in the air fast, shoot the missile, run low on fuel and then slam it back on the deck. I do it twice and sometimes three times a day when dangerous threats exist.

Perhaps I would be better served trying your methods - they certainly have a nice sound to them.

Hey, I was a Navy guy, too. Sometimes when you're involved with pitching decks, you have to use that technique. However, you must agree that "deck work" is a young man's game.

After I left the fleet and flew the DC-9 awhile in VR squadrons, I discovered the pleasures of prolonging the approach/landing sequence. Granted, you're deck cycle frequency is reduced, but there is something to be said for multi-hour sequences instead of short cycles.

As you mature, you must admit the gloss wears off the "fighter pilot adreneline junkie" lifestyle. Having the time and resources to enjoy and appreciate the finer, more luxurious, time consuming approach far outweighs the "scoreboard" mentality.

Its all about life experience, I guess.

Hey, I was a Navy guy, too. Sometimes when you're involved with pitching decks, you have to use that technique. However, you must agree that "deck work" is a young man's game.

After I left the fleet and flew the DC-9 awhile in VR squadrons, I discovered the pleasures of prolonging the approach/landing sequence. Granted, you're deck cycle frequency is reduced, but there is something to be said for multi-hour sequences instead of short cycles.

As you mature, you must admit the gloss wears off the "fighter pilot adreneline junkie" lifestyle. Having the time and resources to enjoy and appreciate the finer, more luxurious, time consuming approach far outweighs the "scoreboard" mentality.

Its all about life experience, I guess.

My short and infrequent hops involve mostly single pilot operations these days, but I see where you are going here. I recognize that I have been a lost sailor in a sea of 121 captains. Can the ladies of JC ever forgive me? I am so willing to change that I have removed the second hand off my watch.

Listen, I know what the problem is...you're bidding too many transcons. While those one leg days are good for your wallet, your technique tends to suffer from lack of use.

Here's what I suggest. Find a hot East or West Coast schedule. One that's really built. I'm talking 4 or 5 good approaches and landings a day. Practice, practice practice. Of course, the downside to a schedule like that is you generally have to take a couple days off afterward to recuperate.

You'll know your performance is up to par when you get spontaneous applause from the cabin during your rollout. Make sure you're at the cockpit door so the Ladies can compliment you on your technique. It is especially gratifying when they say things like, "Captain, that was a WONDERFUL flight." Of course your response should be, "It was my pleasure to serve you today." And you won't be fibbing, either.

The ancillary benefit is that you'll generate a whole lot of repeat business from passengers like Toria who are sophisticated enough to recognize the time, effort and talent you bring to each and every one of your landings. Pleasing the lady in 1A is personally and professionally satisfying in so many ways.

Additionally, you'll be pleasing the ladies in 1X as well. And when the word gets out on the F/A grapevine that you are a consistently good lander, I wouldn't be surprised if you start getting requests from F/As AND female pilots who want to buddy bid with you.

I know you can do it. All it takes is dusting off those rusty skills. You've got all the requiste equipment and training, all you need is practice.

And, practice (as they say) can be its own reward. We'll chat more Sunday night in LAS.

Look, C.C. here's the bottom line. We all wanted to be pilots when we were kids because we LOVED airplanes. I had model airplanes hanging from the ceiling of my bedroom from the time I was about 5 years old.

And the great thing about airplanes is there are so many different shapes and sizes. But they've all got a couple things in common: A beautiful fuselage, a couple of nice big motors, a sexy tail and those shapely wings to lift you heavenward.

And while they're all the same, they're all different...a plane for everybody's taste. Some guys like the Concorde...slender, sexy, fast as hell and extremely high maintenance. Some like the 757...long legs, sleek hull and a couple big jugs. Some prefer the 737...short, a bit stout, but extremely utilitarian and very responsive to proper handling. There are even guys who prefer the widebodies...a nice comfortable long range cruiser.

It was only after I got checked out that I really began to appreciate the finer qualities of airplanes. I just love everything about them...how they look, how they smell, how they perform. How the switches and buttons make her perform when activated in the proper sequence. The smooth feel of the throttle knobs in you fingers. The rush you get when you press the TOGA button and her power drives you deep in your seat. The lift she generates as she drives you into the stratosphere. Followed by the quiet tranquility as the throttles come back and she purrs along through the sky unrolling the world at your feet.

And, of course, the approach and landing, which we've already discussed in some detail.

Isn't that why we all LOVE...

Airplanes?

STOP IT ALREADY!!! :panic:

Or then again, maybe not... :D

Damn you older dudes and your cleverness. ;)

Look, C.C. here's the bottom line. We all wanted to be pilots when we were kids because we LOVED airplanes. I had model airplanes hanging from the ceiling of my bedroom from the time I was about 5 years old.

And the great thing about airplanes is there are so many different shapes and sizes. But they've all got a couple things in common: A beautiful fuselage, a couple of nice big motors, a sexy tail and those shapely wings to lift you heavenward.

And while they're all the same, they're all different...a plane for everybody's taste. Some guys like the Concorde...slender, sexy, fast as hell and extremely high maintenance. Some like the 757...long legs, sleek hull and a couple big jugs. Some prefer the 737...short, a bit stout, but extremely utilitarian and very responsive to proper handling. There are even guys who prefer the widebodies...a nice comfortable long range cruiser.

It was only after I got checked out that I really began to appreciate the finer qualities of airplanes. I just love everything about them...how they look, how they smell, how they perform. How the switches and buttons make her perform when activated in the proper sequence. The smooth feel of the throttle knobs in you fingers. The rush you get when you press the TOGA button and her power drives you deep in your seat. The lift she generates as she drives you into the stratosphere. Followed by the quiet tranquility as the throttles come back and she purrs along through the sky unrolling the world at your feet.

And, of course, the approach and landing, which we've already discussed in some detail.

Airplanes?

That was so Beautiful! :( Tear Tear

Airplanes?

Great post. Straight from the heart.

I ask you Velo if it is possible to be proficient in all models at the same time or do you suggest sticking to one particular model at a time. I can see where it might be fun to fly the Concorde for a trip and then take a spin in a 757. Maybe a 737 on Wednesday and a 777 on Saturday? I realize it would take a bit more work to stay proficient but could it be done? Should it be done? This flying stuff sure isn't as easy as it looks.

Well its very dicey attempting to maintain dual or triple qualification, though it can be done. You can get in a LOT of trouble attempting to apply the procedures for one airframe to the other one.

Switches/buttons can be located in similar places, but have completely different results when operated. And as any aviator can tell you, mixing up your procedures can result in undesirable conditions.

Personally, I have always tried to stick with one model at a time. Saves a lot of heartache in the long run.

They have test pilots at Boeing that are typed and qualified for many different aicraft at the same time. One woman in particular, I believe, is typed in a 737, 757/767, 777, and maybe one or two others.

Well its very dicey attempting to maintain dual or triple qualification, though it can be done. You can get in a LOT of trouble attempting to apply the procedures for one airframe to the other one.

Switches/buttons can be located in similar places, but have completely different results when operated. And as any aviator can tell you, mixing up your procedures can result in undesirable conditions.

Personally, I have always tried to stick with one model at a time. Saves a lot of heartache in the long run.

I respect your advice and think your wisdom is the right path. As soon as JC Vegas is over I will adopt your philosophy as my own. ;)

Airplanes?

Is this one of the ones you flew when you were younger, but you'd never tell anyone about?:D

001.jpg

Back