I hate when that happens!!

QXDVR

So the other night on a flight from DEN-ONT I gave a PA over Las Vegas to point out the sights and for those of you not familiar with that area, south of Las Vegas there is absolutely nothing to point out at night. It went something like this:

"Well folks from the flight deck we're just a few minutes from starting our descent into Ontario. For those of you off the right side of the airplane is Las Vegas, the Hoover Dam, yada yada...and off the left side of the aircraft.....(i'm looking but only see one thing) is the moon......."

The captain happened to be listening in and gave me a look that said "What the he!! was that". We had a good laugh about it and the passengers were entertained so it turned out okay. Lesson learned
grin.gif

Ha!I did that too once... We were doing YQB-DTW and got a great look at Niagra Falls from the right side of the plane.

"Ladies and gentlemen, those of you on the right side of the aircraft have a fantastic view of Niagra Falls just below us. On the left side, well....umm....be jealous of your friends on the right side...thanks, and Enjoy the rest of the flight.."

I didn't do any scenic PA's for awhile after that.
bandit.gif

And the flight attendants always call over the middle of New Mexico to ask where we are!
smile.gif

Umm, 180 miles south of ABQ!

What town?

No town!

I love the avatar with the Shorts and the Winnebago - makes the point doesn't it?

I used to the "people on the left, people on the right" PAs all the time. The FAs loved them. I freely admit that I stole it from Paula Poundstone.

[ QUOTE ]
I love the avatar with the Shorts and the Winnebago - makes the point doesn't it?

I used to the "people on the left, people on the right" PAs all the time. The FAs loved them. I freely admit that I stole it from Paula Poundstone.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a great bit!! It's funny because it's true!
grin.gif

MF

[ QUOTE ]
Im not familiar with this bit, care to explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bit hard to explain, but Paula Poundstone (stand-up comedian) had a routine where she would be the pilot giving the "things to see" brief, telling the people on the right all of the cool things they could see but there was nothing for the people on the left to see. Then she segues into this really amusing routine where she "whispers" into the mic, telling the people on the right how much better they are than the people on the left and how stupid the people on the left are. It was quite funny.

MF

I've found myself saying this a few times, but not the cheesy "people on the left have a great view of the people on the right", it's more like "Folks on the right, you have a great view of the Chicago skyline, and those on the left, you have a great view of lots of water..."

[whisper]
"People on the left, you have all the really cool stuff on your side of the
plane. In fact, we're intentionally flying the plane sideways so you can see it all. Don't tell them, but we HATE the people on the right!!!!"
[/whisper]

[ QUOTE ]

[whisper]
"People on the left, you have all the really cool stuff on your side of the
plane. In fact, we're intentionally flying the plane sideways so you can see it all. Don't tell them, but we HATE the people on the right!!!!"
[/whisper]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the one.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

MF

[ QUOTE ]
And the flight attendants always call over the middle of New Mexico to ask where we are!
smile.gif

Umm, 180 miles south of ABQ!

What town?

No town!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like good old White Sands Missile Range (WSMR) to me :p I've done lonely patrols up there by myself. No towns or water!

"Ladies and gentlemen, for those of you on the right side, you have a great view of XXX. Those on the left, we have ... dirt. If I can find something for you to look at, I'll let you know."

As an FO I did a run from SJC to DEN, late evening therefore dark. I awoke Captain ReadingMyBookDon'tBotherMe to ask if I could turn off the seatbelt sign, mainly because I was bored out of my mind. So, I addressed the folks with "Greetings from the middle of nowhere." Apparently some thought we were lost, so in a later PA I quite blatantly pointed out some small town on each side that I'd found on the low altitude charts.

And people wonder why I want to fly boxes...

I was a pax on a flight from PIT-STL on my way to San Antonio for Basic Training with the Air Force. On our way into St Louis, we got one from the flight attendant (TWA):

"For those of you seated on the left, you can look out your window for a nice view of the Gateway Arch . . . for those of you seated on the right side, you can look to your left and get a good look of those on the left looking out at the Gateway Arch."

I, of course, was on the right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Back