How many of your Jepps are up to date?

I got ramped in Albany once and he asked to see my Jepps. He asked to see the Albany plate that had changed in the last revision. It can happen so just keep them up to date.

1. That's why you put the revision list in the front of the binder, so if you divert you can reference that real quick to see if you need to pull plates out of the envelope prior to the approach. There's no regulation in any book that says the charts have to be in the binder. You can have them in a box, in a garbage can, in your hat, in the envelope. Doesn't matter.

2. What exactly would they do with a guy that uses NOS plates? You know, the ones that can have a NOTAM out for 3 years changing the approach, Jepp sends you a new plate to go in your binder but the NOS plate still has the LOM on it that's been decommissioned for over 3 years? Do you have to have the NOTAM printed out with you or does the inspector whine that your plate isn't updated?

-mini

1. That's why you put the revision list in the front of the binder, so if you divert you can reference that real quick to see if you need to pull plates out of the envelope prior to the approach. There's no regulation in any book that says the charts have to be in the binder. You can have them in a box, in a garbage can, in your hat, in the envelope. Doesn't matter.

2. What exactly would they do with a guy that uses NOS plates? You know, the ones that can have a NOTAM out for 3 years changing the approach, Jepp sends you a new plate to go in your binder but the NOS plate still has the LOM on it that's been decommissioned for over 3 years? Do you have to have the NOTAM printed out with you or does the inspector whine that your plate isn't updated?

-mini

How the hell would I know? All I know is what the guy wanted to see when he walked in. Call the Albany FSDO and ask him. You make it sound like I asked myself for the plate. Don't do your revisions if you feel that strongly about it, no skin off my nose.

Albany FSDO Contact the Office

Address:

7 Airport Park Blvd.
Latham, NY 12110

Phone: (518) 785-5660, Fax: (518) 785-7165
Email the Office
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
Office hours by appointment only

so do you take out the expired plates? Because I'm pretty sure if the expired plates are in your manual, then that shows a history of where you generally keep your plates . . . I seem to remember from private pilot oral instruction, don't give them a reason to ask you a question:D

Revision 19 is waiting in my flight case when I get back to ATL. I picked it up the day it came out, but 99% of it has an effective date of the 25th, so I decided to wait.

Speaking of, a big nelsonesque (from the simpsons) HA HA to the Mesaba pilot I heard coming into ATL the other day.

Went kinda like this

ATC: "mesaba XXXX cross (insert fix here) at 12,000 and 250"
Mesaba: "Cross (fix) at 12,000 and 250"

slight pause

Mesaba: "Center, can you confirm you want mesaba XXXX to cross (fix) at 12? Our plate says 13"
ATC: "yep, cross (fix) at 12 and 250"
Mesaba: "yeah, but our plate says 13"
ATC" "The current plate should say 12...are your plates current?"

Then I got switched to the next freq...would have liked to hear how it ended :p

Revision 19 is waiting in my flight case when I get back to ATL. I picked it up the day it came out, but 99% of it has an effective date of the 25th, so I decided to wait.

Speaking of, a big nelsonesque (from the simpsons) HA HA to the Mesaba pilot I heard coming into ATL the other day.

Went kinda like this

slight pause

Mesaba: "Center, can you confirm you want mesaba XXXX to cross (fix) at 12? Our plate says 13"

doh!

The big question is, how many REVIEW the new procedures? :)

I'm upto date and its a shame I won't get a good use out of them...

Went kinda like this

slight pause

He kind of brought that on himself trying to be too "cute" with things.'

He kind of brought that on himself trying to be too "cute" with things.'

Yep...I'm all for double checking, but the first time when they say "yep, I want you at 12" you say "ok, we'll do that". Its not like Atlanta is in the rockies or anything.

I've never had an FAA inspector ask to see them either. That said, since I commute, I do my changes before I get on the airplane.

I've often wondered why more airlines don't just put two sets in per aircraft (like we did in the military) instead of buying 1500+ sets for the pilots. That doesn't seem cost effective to me.

Because the Company would be responsible for them rather than the pilot.

We keep out Jepps in every plane at this base. It took me 3.5hrs to do the revision above yesterday.:panic:

No cause I and every FO I fly with is up there crowding him out . . . I do it and make sure the FO has it done before we go . . .
So how many delays have you taken because you went through a hub during a pairing and had to pick up and complete your new revision during a quick turn? The guy I quoted said always up to date.

My Jepps are always up to date.

BTW, there are some inspectors out there checking for individual plates. One particular FAA office told an unnamed airline that the next crew that is checked flying with out of date Jepps is getting time off.

So how many delays have you taken because you went through a hub during a pairing and had to pick up and complete your new revision during a quick turn? The guy I quoted said always up to date.
Every other week we get a revision. If I have not been to base, then I will not have it. If I leave on Thursday and the revision comes out Friday,then I will not have it. I have not had to take a delay for a revision change yet, but I will if necessary.

Funny this should come out . . .​

Settlement negotiations with an FAA attorney in August indicated that 121.137(b) would have been satisfied if the pilot had a 10-day old Jepp packet within his reach in the cockpit. Unfortunately, he had placed the envelope in his overnight bag, which was stowed in the cabin. The FAA attorney wouldn’t buy that as being "accessible."​

As far as for our airline,
Our FOM goes beyond the FARs in being very specific about our responsibility to have revisions in our manuals by the effective date. "On the effective date, pilots must have the revision installed in their manual . . .".​

The language in our manuals requires that the revision be ‘installed,’ and the manual be ‘updated.’​

We just received some clarification on this issue, and since it was on point, I share it with you.​

Back