How many of your Jepps are up to date?

Mine are always up to date when I'm working. If you can't manage that, you shouldn't be in this career.

I don't carry a personal set of Jepps. Each aircraft has it's own set that the crewmembers are supposed to update as they become available. We're trying to get rid of them altogether and go 100% EFB.

Mine are always up to date when I'm working. If you can't manage that, you shouldn't be in this career.
So you show up to the airport, pick up your two inch thick jepp revision, and still push back in less than an hour?

Is it lonely up there, on your pedestal.

It's pretty easy to "do" a Jepp revision - just write it in as being completed on the tracking sheet they provide.

I'm usually one or two behind. Thankfully we're finally getting rid of all of our enroute charts and alternate charts from our individual Jepp binders and getting a sealed "brick" in each airplane in case we need them. Revisions will be half the size from now on.

Can I use NOS charts?

Why on Earth would anyone want to do such a thing? And no, I'm not aware of any 121 carrier that uses those horrible things.

I would. I used DOD/NOS for 5 years and have been using Jepps for the last 3. I still much prefer NOS.

Why on Earth would anyone want to do such a thing? And no, I'm not aware of any 121 carrier that uses those horrible things.

Born and raised on NOS. The most obvious reason is ease of revision. New set comes in the mail, old set goes out in the trash.

I'm required to use them both, although I'm probably still more comfortable with the NOS plates. That said, I really haven't developed a preference for either.

It's pretty easy to "do" a Jepp revision - just write it in as being completed on the tracking sheet they provide.
I know you're joking, but what they told us in initial is the inspector will look for a plate that was updated in the newest revision.

I'm usually one or two behind. Thankfully we're finally getting rid of all of our enroute charts and alternate charts from our individual Jepp binders and getting a sealed "brick" in each airplane in case we need them. Revisions will be half the size from now on.

Enroutes, legends and tables are in each plane, but the LIDO charts alone are thicker and most are double folds (think Jepp 10-9 pages for big airports). So, even with the en routes out, they take up MORE space.

I know you're joking, but what they told us in initial is the inspector will look for a plate that was updated in the newest revision.

In the past 8 years, I've had about 10 ramp checks and 3 enroute inspections (FAA riding on jumpseat). Not a one of them asked to see anything other than my certificates. Your company's checkairmen might look for that, but an inspector most likely won't. I've never even had a checkairman look past the revision record page.

Enroutes, legends and tables are in each plane, but the LIDO charts alone are thicker and most are double folds (think Jepp 10-9 pages for big airports). So, even with the en routes out, they take up MORE space.

We're going to a "brick," but we're keeping the Jepps. I honestly don't know how you guys use those LIDO things. Even worse than NOS.

I got ramped in Albany once and he asked to see my Jepps. He asked to see the Albany plate that had changed in the last revision. It can happen so just keep them up to date.

So you show up to the airport, pick up your two inch thick jepp revision, and still push back in less than an hour?

Is it lonely up there, on your pedestal.
No cause I and every FO I fly with is up there crowding him out . . . I do it and make sure the FO has it done before we go . . .

I've never had an FAA inspector ask to see them either. That said, since I commute, I do my changes before I get on the airplane.

I've often wondered why more airlines don't just put two sets in per aircraft (like we did in the military) instead of buying 1500+ sets for the pilots. That doesn't seem cost effective to me.

When I found out I was getting furloughed, I didn't touch another Jepp update. I sent my manuals back in 3 revisions behind. My FOP/SOP book had like 4 bulletins, still neatly wrapped in the plastic, wedged in the front cover. I felt like a rebel...and I liked it.

The FAA has been inspecting our FOM's and Jeps. If you merely fill out the date of the revision, and don't do the revision, then you will be in violation. We have had that happen. The ASAP program does not apply to this because it is an intentional act.

Back