How Many Gump Checks?

EDUC8-or

I use three: 1) Abeam the numbers, gear down, flaps 10 GUMPC 2) Turn base, flaps 20, GUMPC 3) On final, flaps 30, GUMPC

I started flying on Wednesday from the right seat and my CFI told me just to do one, and on base and final make sure I check the gear. What do you guys reccomend?

By the way, C is for carb heat.

I do at least two Gumps checks. I do one when entering downwind, one when I turn final. Also, I do an additional gear check when I go props full on final. While I would recommend doing more than one check, I guess it's something you can't check enough, just in case.

If flying a normal pattern I do a landing check when abeam the landing point. The landing check is flaps 10 and gear down. Wait until you see 3 green to say that the landing check is complete. If on a base, or straight in I will do the landing check at 1000' agl.

The gumps check is done after turning final or around 500' agl and is the final check.

When IFR the gear is put down at the Final Approach Fix or Point. No landing check is done, only the final check.

I also make a habbit to check the 3 green when on short final, just in case, but this is not called out.

I usually do four. One abeam the numbers on downwind, a second on base, and 2 on final, the first after established on final and the final gear down check just before crossing the threshold.

Do as many as possible. And on final don't just check the gear, but put your hand on the prop level and push it all the way forward (even if it is in the forward position) and then put your hand on the gear switch and push down again (even if it is already down).

I do three - abeam the numbers on downwind, on base, and short final. I don't start my descent in the pattern until I see 3 green, I push the props forward on base, and I verify 3 green when on short final.

On precision approaches, I drop the gear at the glideslope intercept, do my final items and checklist (GUMPS) before 1000' AGL, and at DH I say "runway in sight, verified 3 green, I'm landing."

I check the gear as many times as possible, it's very easy to get complacent and say "3 green" out of habit, when actually the nose gear bulb is burnt out. I give myself plenty of chances to break myself from complacency.

I wouldn't grab the gear handle on final. I used to do this, but the once I was on short final and flew into the wake of another aircraft just I was reaching for the handle. Of course I knocked the handle into the retract position, and ever since then I haven't touched the handle after I see three green.

[ QUOTE ]
I use three: 1) Abeam the numbers, gear down, flaps 10 GUMPC 2) Turn base, flaps 20, GUMPC 3) On final, flaps 30, GUMPC

I started flying on Wednesday from the right seat and my CFI told me just to do one, and on base and final make sure I check the gear. What do you guys reccomend?

By the way, C is for carb heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use 3 also

I do a gumps check when entering the pattern on the 45, and then do a double check of the green and a wheel on short final.

I do 2 GUMPs and a PLF. I do my first GUMPs about 10 miles out from an airport because by then I'm probably at a reasonable enough altitude to get the gas and the mixture settled up and I spend less time with my head in the cockpit in the terminal area (unless I'm IFR of course!). Then I do one midfield-downwind and then the PLF (Prop [full forward], Lights [green, and check any mirrors to re-confirm gear down], Flaps [final setting]) on final.

Incidentally my GUMPs is Gas, Undercarriage, Mixture, Power, seatbelts, rather than P for Prop. That way, it works in non-complex and carbureted airplanes as well.

So, 10 miles out - GUMPs
Midfield downwind - GUMPs
Final - PLF

I think everybody does it different, just so that the end result is the same: you land safely on the correct runway with the props still turning and no metal-on-pavement sounds.

Carolyn

Razor- I'm just making a comment and not trying to offend you but- presuming your commercially rated, b/c after all this is the CFI forum, why would you want your landing gear sticking out 10 miles out? I myself did the same thing about 5-7 miles out and the DE as well as my CFI asked me the same question and then it made sense to me. They basically said, and now I say, at the commercial level, keep your gear and flaps up, continue a descent at 100-120 knots depending on your type a/c. "Your a commercial pilot now, act like one" is what hte exact words were.
Just to clearify, I used to be at our shoreline (6 milesout) in Socal and begin my slow down and GUMPS check. Slow it down to below 100, and get the gear out. I now continue the descent keep the speed up between 100-120 knots. Once about a mile from the airport and close to entering downwind, I cut the power, slow her up, do my gumps check, bring in the flaps if necassary and do the landing.

I just feel its a more efficient way of flying the airplane vs. trying to still fly like a private pilot. (sorry, that sounds pretty cocky, I don't mean it that way, but I don't know any better way of saying it).

I used to do GUMBPLES entering the pattern and then check my gear and prop on base, final, and short final.

About putting your gear down 10 miles out, I used to put the gear down just before I was going to put 10 degress of flap, gear was the best way to help slow you down, and keep you there.

I do the following (can't take credit...FSI standard (PA-44 checklist...memory items)

Descent Check (on descent, imagine that!)

Harnesses-check
Fuel Selectors - Verify On (not crossfeed)
Mixtures - Check
Cowl Flaps - Closed

Approach Check (prior to entering pattern)

Mixtures - Rich
Fuel Pumps - On
Landing & Recognition Lights - On
Altimeter - Verify

Landing Check (Abeam touchdown point or over FAF)

Flaps - As necc.
Gear - Down (3 in the green, one in the mirror)

Final Check (No lower than 100 AGL)

Fuel Selectors - Verify ON
Gear - Verify DOWN
Mixtures - Full Rich
Props - High

I personally do a fence check as well.

Chunk

I don't think its necessarily a bad thing to drop the gear a few mile back from the airport, sometimes it's necessary. The plane I fly it pretty slippery, and I don't like to back the power back any faster than about 2 inches every 2 minutes. This means that I'll be pegged right at the top of the green arc with only about an 800 fpm descent. If I get a late descent from ATC, or I am about to join the downwind 40 knots faster than the guy in front, I would rather drop the gear to slow down than yank back on the power. I'll even drop the gear at the IAF sometimes if I am unfamiliar with the approach and don't want to risk letting the airplane get ahead of me. The landing gear can be a pretty useful as a speed brake and I don't think using it as such makes me any less of a pilot.

I didn't say I lower my gear 10 miles out I said I take care of the gas and mixture with my first GUMP check. I may or may not have to adjust my power depending on any number of conditions.

I lower my gear at midfield downwind, just like everyone else. I'm not stupid you know, and yes, you did sound quite cocky. A simple question, might be answered with a simple answer, and if you misunderstood what I was saying you might have asked for a clarification rather than giving me a dissertation about being "a commercial pilot now, so act like one" and "I presume you are commercially rated b/c after all this is the CFI forum."

Try to be a little more condescending next time, okay? Oh, wait, maybe you could just ask what I meant rather than assuming I don't know anything.

Carolyn (CFI, CFII, Commercial AS/AMEL just in case you were wondering, but I didn't think I had to put my resume on every post)

Oh, and another thing... depending on the situation I *will* lower the gear 10 miles out if I need to lose alot of altitude fast and/or slow down. There is more than one reason to have an exception to a general rule. I also lower the gear at the final approach fix on an IFR approach, which is usually 5-7 miles out. Helps keep the approach stabilized and keeps me from worrying too much about gear problems on short final at minimums and/or a gear up landing.

But, since I think the intent was to ask about a normal approach to a normal landing on a normal day, I wouldn't normally do that.

Carolyn

[sarcasm]I think mrivc's multiple attempts at saying he was not trying to offend, only offering advice obviously means he was personally attacking you, razor.[/sarcasm]

As for gumps checks, one midfield downwind, one on base and on short final "3 green, red, blue" for gear, mixture(s), and prop(s).

Back