House committee votes to raise pilot retirement age to 67

Working at 67 to own the libs. Whattaaguy.

That’s just gravy at the top ;)

On a serious note, did any pilot age 60-65 ask me my opinion or how I felt making 20.73/hr in 2007, 24.39/hr in 2008, 30.09/hr in 2009, 33.28/hr in 2010, and 41.10/hr in 2011?

That’s what their 5 extra yrs cost me. But now I’m supposed to be against age 67 because it would be unfair to others.

2013 - the yr of the hiring cycle of 2013-2020. Everyone entering at this point already had the 5 yrs 2007-2012 passed and started the pilot career “level field” knowing the can work until 65. Big difference than those of us who started when the game was 60, but then have it extend to 65 and freeze us in lower pay planes, regionals, etc.

It’ll slow things down and kick the can down the road a year. Then what? We talk about age 70!?!?

artworks-000588330089-fwkxi1-t500x500.jpg

It’ll slow things down and kick the can down the road a year. Then what? We talk about age 70!?!?

Oh you know that's next.

I'd like financial credit for not being able to get my ATP until 23 years old. I mean if we're going to talk age discrimination, lets talk age discrimination

If you can hold a medical at+beyond age 65, why wouldn’t you work another 2 yrs?

Let’s see, most will be top 10%, 40+ days vacation, and capped out payrates.

It’s ALREADY a semi-retired job!

Oh you know that's next.

I'd like financial credit for not being able to get my ATP until 23 years old. I mean if we're going to talk age discrimination, lets talk age discrimination

No. Because that has been set for a long time, it’s not a 2007 passing of Age 65 equivalent.

That’s just gravy at the top ;)

On a serious note, did any pilot age 60-65 ask me my opinion or how I felt making 20.73/hr in 2007, 24.39/hr in 2008, 30.09/hr in 2009, 33.28/hr in 2010, and 41.10/hr in 2011?

You really are situationally unaware. What do you think those pilots made at that same point in their careers?

If you can hold a medical at+beyond age 65, why wouldn’t you work another 2 yrs?

Let’s see, most will be top 10%, 40+ days vacation, and capped out payrates.

It’s ALREADY a semi-retired job!
Different field of work entirely, but my answer is because you don't have to.

Your time is your own. There is no working around a schedule. You get to do exactly what you want, when you want to do it. Quality time with the person you married or live with. Time with the kids/grandkids. Opportunities to make a difference in a thousand different areas should one choose. I cold go on, but won''t.

Work as long as you want to. Personally, I got out as soon as I could - despite the loss of a relatively few dollars monthly income. Four years now and not a single regret.

It's a personal choice. Make the one which works for you. Be awesome, wouldn't it, to go for the extra two years and kick-off with a coronary a couple months shy? There is purpose and fun and meaning apart from working a job.

YMMV.

Different field of work entirely, but my answer is because you don't have to.

Your time is your own. There is no working around a schedule. You get to do exactly what you want, when you want to do it. Quality time with the person you married or live with. Time with the kids/grandkids. Opportunities to make a difference in a thousand different areas should one choose. I cold go on, but won''t.

Work as long as you want to. Personally, I got out as soon as I could - despite the loss of a relatively few dollars monthly income. Four years now and not a single regret.

It's a personal choice. Make the one which works for you. Be awesome, wouldn't it, to go for the extra two years and kick-off with a coronary a couple months shy? There is purpose and fun and meaning apart from working a job.

YMMV.
Nope. Regardless of whether or not a person is enjoying and performing well at their job airline pilots want them to be forced to stop for no other reason than their own benefit, they eat their old. Safety my ass, the only reason anyone is upset is because they're going to have to wait a couple more years. It's greed, pure and simple. Pilots are no better than any other union group.

Can you even fly internationally after 65 in 121 or ICAO passenger operations? Even at 51, domestic was murder. I couldn't imagine being 16 years older doing red-eyes and daytime layovers.

Yes. It's called not being a self centered ass hat. The age 65 proponents failed at it. Do better.

In a seniority system? It’s all about the number. And that number is governed by a forced retirement at X date. Was 60, now 65.

I don’t see how that argument holds water. Merit system, sure. But seniority with a mandatory retirement age? I don’t see it. It’s not self centered, it’s just a numbers game.

Are there numbers available for the amount of pilots that stayed from 60 to 65? Just curious. How where they received when paired with a younger FO? I couldnt imagine flying to 65 and damn sure not 67....I just have some irrational fear of working longer and then retire late and walk out the door and a year or two later be gone from this earth....While technically I could retire in March financially it would hurt. 60 is hte current plan, 62 at the worst. The extra gain on waiting to 65 isnt worth it.

When I got hired at my airline right before Covid our MEC told us during our first week that we averaged a retirement age of roughly 62-62.5 IIRC. Can’t imagine that number drastically going higher. (Minus guys who will use the system to milk disability)

Reactions: JEP
Are there numbers available for the amount of pilots that stayed from 60 to 65? Just curious. How where they received when paired with a younger FO? I couldnt imagine flying to 65 and damn sure not 67....I just have some irrational fear of working longer and then retire late and walk out the door and a year or two later be gone from this earth....While technically I could retire in March financially it would hurt. 60 is hte current plan, 62 at the worst. The extra gain on waiting to 65 isnt worth it.
So this is not scientific at all, but I fly with a LOT of dudes in their 60s. In the year and change I’ve been here I’ve flown with exactly one guy that was planning on checking out early.

I retired from 121 at 65 and I don’t know anyone who worked with me who left early unless they had health issues. I flew with all the new hires as I was based in ACY and that was the base for new hires. We always had a great time.

I bid lines (when I finally could hold one) without red eye flights because I refused to work them any longer. For that reason I never did a Lima trip since the return is a red eye.

That being said, 65 was enough. I am very happy to be in a simulator and classroom 3 days/ week.

Last edited:
Back