HIIT

At one point, I thought I was going to die.

And the trainer said, "Thirty more seconds!" and I started thinking about survivorship benefits and how it's going to feel when the myocardial infarction hits.

Ha-ha-ha. It's funny how fast the "active rest" part of the interval feels like it passes by. Meanwhile, the high intensity interval feels astonishingly long, huh?!

Last edited:
@Derg - there is an HIIT-like segment in the P90X training on both cardio days and plyometrics days.

Someone - and I cannot remember who, but it was the funniest thing I had read on JC up to that point - said words to the effect of "plyometrics actually means 'okay fatass you die now'"

'Tis very true.

Day two.

I just want to vomit, complain to my mother and go back to bed.

If I can get my heart rate down.

And when my muscles stop throbbing.

Embrace that feeling, LOL.

The worst part is that I can go out, run 10K then do an hour of weight training and do it all while chomping on a cigar sipping on a delicious Bainbridge Island G&T (Thanks @Polar742!).

But I guess muscle memory is a real thing and that 5'3 trainer that sounds like a 12 year old girl is a SHE DEVIL.

Day two.

I just want to vomit, complain to my mother and go back to bed.

If I can get my heart rate down.

And when my muscles stop throbbing.

It will get better, I promise. But here's the TRUE hell of it....you won't realize it's getting better because it's summarily harder.

Then, for some reason - you'll get distracted and stop for a while. Maybe two weeks. Maybe a month. Work, family - something will become a distraction and you'll lay off for a while.

You'll try to return at near-your-previous pace.

And you will want to die. Badly.

And that's when you'll realize how good a shape you had GOTTEN in before you STOPPED.

keep going, a few months from now you'll get to the end of the workout saying "thats it?" and be begging for more!

Yeah this. If your free time allows you to stick with it, in subsequent weeks you'll recover MUCH faster during active rest. It doesn't get easier overall, partly because a good program involves gradually decreasing the active rest (and perhaps increasing the intensity), but you'll find yourself lighter in the feet and breathing better. Some things to do to set yourself up for success is get REALLY GOOD inactive rest (time off between workouts). Sleep is paramount. I don't recover well unless I get over 8 hours a night, regularly. If I could get 9 every night, that'd be awesome. Also, eat foods that digest well for you as much as possible, especially right after the workouts.

Love interval training. It rocks!

Back