Help with developing A320 control feel

Smooth braking TRs full reverse then almost immediately idle so you can close them when they are idle not at 35% and you get a bunch of forward momentum from doing so.

Also, should have asked earlier. What do you mean by closing them above idle? Just talking about giving the engine time to spool down from full TR to idle TR before closing I assume?

Second question to the masses, I keep hearing about this additional TR detent, but I think maybe I am misunderstanding? Let's say you touch down. You pull them to first detent, which I believe is just simply the position of un-stowed, right? You pause for a potato until the pins unlock, and then you can pull them all the way back. That full aft position is max TR right? Or is there some additional detent further back (beyond the one I just described) you somehow get to?

Also, should have asked earlier. What do you mean by closing them above idle? Just talking about giving the engine time to spool down from full TR to idle TR before closing I assume?

Second question to the masses, I keep hearing about this additional TR detent, but I think maybe I am misunderstanding? Let's say you touch down. You pull them to first detent, which I believe is just simply the position of un-stowed, right? You pause for a potato until the pins unlock, and then you can pull them all the way back. That full aft position is max TR right? Or is there some additional detent further back (beyond the one I just described) you somehow get to?

At sea level idle N1 is about 20%

If you go to the second detent the TRs go to full power. The TRs unlock, you get to a first power setting the second stop is full power at least for reverse. At the top of my head it's about 40-50%

To close the TRs by 60 knots and to have them at idle, you have to get the TRs deployed, go to full power then almost immediately go to idle. That way you can close the TRs by 60 knots and the power should be at idle.

At sea level idle N1 is about 20%

If you go to the second detent the TRs go to full power. The TRs unlock, you get to a first power setting the second stop is full power at least for reverse. At the top of my head it's about 40-50%

To close the TRs by 60 knots and to have them at idle, you have to get the TRs deployed, go to full power then almost immediately go to idle. That way you can close the TRs by 60 knots and the power should be at idle.

Ok cool, then I'm not taking crazy pills. I probably tend to have them full until around 100 knots, and then use the 100-80 range to smoothly push them back to idle. But you're right, I think I have noticed a small lurch going from idle reverse to actual forward idle. Nothing nearly as bad as captain happy (sad) MAX brakes though. I don't think I've done that yet, I tend not to really get on the brakes hard, probably based on my previous airframe, but I have had a couple guys as PF who were really intent on making a particular exit and it is just like a sad dog all the way back to the gate.....at least somewhere like SEA, where you have to stop a bunch of times on the way to the gate.

Ok cool, then I'm not taking crazy pills. I probably tend to have them full until around 100 knots, and then use the 100-80 range to smoothly push them back to idle. But you're right, I think I have noticed a small lurch going from idle reverse to actual forward idle. Nothing nearly as bad as captain happy (sad) MAX brakes though. I don't think I've done that yet, I tend not to really get on the brakes hard, probably based on my previous airframe, but I have had a couple guys as PF who were really intent on making a particular exit and it is just like a sad dog all the way back to the gate.....at least somewhere like SEA, where you have to stop a bunch of times on the way to the gate.

Another way to keep things smooth is ask the PM to stow the autobrakes from 3 to 2 then 1 even and the transition from autobrakes to manual braking is not noticeable. The Flying Handbook pages 35 to 38 have a lot more detail. Section 3.130

Now I can stow the speed brake handle to turn autobrakes off which is even smoother. Go me.

On topic: View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuGKyi9pSbP/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha damn.....what did they do?!

burning tires, bomb threats.....what is going on out there this week?????

Did you hear about the note the guy handed over, holy $/1t

yeah just saw the text of it. Pretty wild. I'll be curious to hear what actually transpired in the cabin. In my mind, there is absolutely no way that person gets to remain anonymous (and also not hogtied) while there are passengers on board. Which is tricky to rectify with the most teeny-tiny remote possibility that there might actually be a bomb. But the alternative is that there is no bomb, and you are allowing a complete psychopath (and in reality, previously convicted felon) to live free in the first class cabin while nobody knows the danger they are in (who knows what he would do, within his actual capacities). That's a tough call to make IMO. Sounds like they made the right one, whatever it ended up being.

yeah just saw the text of it. Pretty wild. I'll be curious to hear what actually transpired in the cabin. In my mind, there is absolutely no way that person gets to remain anonymous (and also not hogtied) while there are passengers on board. Which is tricky to rectify with the most teeny-tiny remote possibility that there might actually be a bomb. But the alternative is that there is no bomb, and you are allowing a complete psychopath (and in reality, previously convicted felon) to live free in the first class cabin while nobody knows the danger they are in (who knows what he would do, within his actual capacities). That's a tough call to make IMO. Sounds like they made the right one, whatever it ended up being.

Nearest suitable isn’t the destination…I’m going to land unless there’s an insanely compelling reason not to.

Alright, I’m back. Would’ve stuck around for the full ride, but form’s stream of consciousness was smoothing my brain.

Passed the checkride, ATP and type rating in hand. And even got the control feel tuned in. Thanks everyone for the help, appreciate it.

Now onto actual training, where we’ll do it all over again. Am I the first JCer to go through ATP’s type rating? As I understand it, only Green has been using them for it, and mostly just for their lower hour hires.

Back