Helo guy who dream to fly fix-wing ;)

Mehrez

Hi,
I would like to have some advise from you guys (airplane pilot).
I have 2780 hrs TT most of them on helicopters (former French army helicopter pilot+2 years in west Africa flying multi-turbines helicopters for rigs oil); my fix wing experience is only 120 hrs, 100 on C-172 and 20 on Pa-25/27 Aztec.
I have a Canadian helicopter ATP + an FAA one and I have a Canadian fix-wing commercial license with instrument and multi-engine rating + an FAA one too.
About my heli experience:+270 hrs night, +400 hrs instrument,+850 hrs multi-turbines
About my fix-wing experience:6 hrs night, 20 hrs instrument, 14 hrs multi-engines

Do I think I can apply for airplane job?
If yes,what kind of job?
If no,what do you advise me to do to meet the company requirements?

Thank you for your help, I new in the U.S. and in this kind of forum.

Flying on fixed wings has always been a target so that's why I want to change. I know I will earn less on airplane for a start but I take the risk. Inverted25, do you have some advise ?

Hi,
I would like to have some advise from you guys (airplane pilot).
I have 2780 hrs TT most of them on helicopters (former French army helicopter pilot+2 years in west Africa flying multi-turbines helicopters for rigs oil); my fix wing experience is only 120 hrs, 100 on C-172 and 20 on Pa-25/27 Aztec.
I have a Canadian helicopter ATP + an FAA one and I have a Canadian fix-wing commercial license with instrument and multi-engine rating + an FAA one too.
About my heli experience:+270 hrs night, +400 hrs instrument,+850 hrs multi-turbines
About my fix-wing experience:6 hrs night, 20 hrs instrument, 14 hrs multi-engines

Do I think I can apply for airplane job?
If yes,what kind of job?
If no,what do you advise me to do to meet the company requirements?

Thank you for your help, I new in the U.S. and in this kind of forum.

Since you have a FAA commercial multi-engine fixed wing certificate, you can certainly get an airplane job. From what I've seen, and I'm no expert, is that airline jobs usually won't count your helicopter experience. If they do, it will be on a fractional basis with a certain minimum of FW time. Part 135 operators seem to count helicopter time more readily. I was hired for a part 135 freight operator with right around 1200 hours - only 500 was in planes and only 20 of that was ME. It's going to depend on the operator though so you'll just have to apply to jobs and ask around. You're going to have to be very instrument proficient to get these kind of jobs and you'll have to be mentally prepared for things to move a lot quicker.

Thank you Ian for the response and the tips ;)

Now I have to find the right freight company which will give me the opportunity to fly for them.

I went the route you are talking about.
The way employees will view you is mixed, but what I found:
1. On the negative, you have low multiengine time. Try to build it up if you can. Still, most regional airlines WILL count your RW time.
2. On the plus side you have a great deal of real world experience. Plus, since your fixed wing time is low so a regional knows you will be around for a while. It's like a freebe for them- they get an experienced pilot who will be there for longer than normal. Same with cargo carriers.
I would recommend trying to get your fixed wing time up (especially MEL), to where you can get your ATP add-on. That would be a great help. If you had a dual ATP you would probably find some doors opening up that would not normally be open to someone with your low fixed wing time.

Thanks Blackhawk,
So it's not as bad as I thought and even if it was,I'm a guy who doesn't give up easily.
If I've read well the FAR part 61.159,I'll need around 250hrs PIC with at least 100hrs X/C, 50hrs instrument and 25hrs night time on airplane to be eligible to the ATP exam for airplane.

Don't wait until your ATP to apply. Go ahead and apply to the cargo carriers such as Flight Express and the others. You would get the time you need for your ATP very quickly. Maybe even apply as an FO to the places with MEL. I used the "shotgun" method. I sent applications to the address of every place I CPU
D get my hands on and something actually got a hit.
Also consider getting your instructor ratings.
Feel free to PM me.

Since you have a FAA commercial multi-engine fixed wing certificate, you can certainly get an airplane job. From what I've seen, and I'm no expert, is that airline jobs usually won't count your helicopter experience. If they do, it will be on a fractional basis with a certain minimum of FW time. Part 135 operators seem to count helicopter time more readily. I was hired for a part 135 freight operator with right around 1200 hours - only 500 was in planes and only 20 of that was ME. It's going to depend on the operator though so you'll just have to apply to jobs and ask around. You're going to have to be very instrument proficient to get these kind of jobs and you'll have to be mentally prepared for things to move a lot quicker.
<off topic>
My sim partner in Lear recurrent last week was a former Chinook army dude and Atlas Captain.
</off topic>

lol,we use the same metaphor in french,"tondeuse à gazon"(lawn mover).
But I'd enough of grass, I'd like to taste some treetop.

lol,we use the same metaphor in french,"tondeuse à gazon"(lawn mover).
But I'd enough of grass, I'd like to taste some treetop.

I tasted a few treetops AS a helicopter pilot! I don't even get close now that I'm FW.

Odd, I'd much rather fly helicopters! I guess the grass is always greener.

Yeah, ditto. Not sure how set you are on the airlines, but if you go to fly helos for an air ambo company (which you'd be well qualified for, I think), I don't think it's out of the question that you could move to fixed wing, if you so choose. It would keep you from spending years making crap money. Just a datapoint.

Back