Hawker 400 Overun VBT

Strange... as much distaste as I hold for getting judged based on someone else's opinion of my opinion (fools errand), I got A's in Shakespeare (and Milton and Chaucer and Yeats and Keats and Wordsworth) and used to work in Dilbert's office and engage with him in hushed, derision-filled convos around the water cooler.

Despite this, you missed a very common satirical response that permeates our language. That’s why I was curious about your background.

I hate bees. You argue that bees are birds. The satirical response is to agree to a silly premise instead of challenging it. Okay, I guess I hate birds.

Perhaps there's something we can all agree to. Something like "I'm not black (whatever that is...like the definition seems kinda shaky to me, but at the same time I'm 100% sure I am not that) Ergo, maybe, when discussing *specifically* (and I am right there with those who get irritated by what seems to me to be the current gestalt of relating *everything* to ethnic identity), but when specifically discussing what "being black" means, it's not a terrible idea to listen to people who (for whatever broadly questionable reasons) are regarded as "black"?

I think I'm on the record to the point of tedium as being extremely skeptical of applying 19th century racial notions to people (it's frankly stupid, as in it's unscientific, not as in it stubs my feelings). That said, the notion of "being black" exists in triplicate, and no one is *really* unaware of that. Is it a rational way to talk about the variety of the human genome? No. But does it exist as an idea? Yes.

So maybe it would make sense to listen to the people who, eh, inhabit that socially-mediated Identity, however unreasonable we might find that Identity existing in the first place? I'm under no obligation to *agree* to these medieval distinctions simply by virtue of listening to what people who have been assigned to them have to say about their subjective experience of the same. *shrug*

Nor, I should add, am I obliged to agree with their conclusions. But listening isn't a big lift.

Last edited:
I’m curious what your native tongue might be as you seem to miss some pretty common English turns of phrase.

When I say that I’m okay with old tropes, I’m actually suggesting that a trope isn’t really at play.

Often, I'm not sure if OpenAI hasn't infiltrated the forum universe to fine tune their bots.

Beyond that, sometimes things just feel vaguely comfortable. My daughter will be attending an HBCU in the Fall. She doesn’t owe me an explanation. If you want to be a better old white guy, a black daughter will help you get there if you listen more than you talk.

We are in @derg ’s living room. I think we should all listen more than we talk.

That's cool! Which one!?

Kentucky State University.

I believe that it was on my list of potential schools, but I did not apply because they didn't have an aviation program. It's a great little school! Small classroom sizes where her teachers will know her my name and not by number. It is also one of the most diverse HBCU's in the country with only 55% of the students being African American.

Of course (like all land grant HBCU's across the country) it has been underfunded for years and the state of Kentucky owes them a lot of money.

I believe that it was on my list of potential schools, but I did not apply because they didn't have an aviation program. It's a great little school! Small classroom sizes where her teachers will know her my name and not by number. It is also one of the most diverse HBCU's in the country with only 55% of the students being African American.

Of course (like all land grant HBCU's across the country) it has been underfunded for years and the state of Kentucky owes them a lot of money.

Campus is kinda shabby but it’s a financial deal. Tuition is $9k a year. I’m matching every dollar she contributes. She makes $30 dollars an hour as an electrician working for her bio-dad. So, she should be able to graduate debt-free. Just from working this past summer she banked enough to cover her first year’s tuition .

Campus is kinda shabby but it’s a financial deal. Tuition is $9k a year. I’m matching every dollar she contributes. She makes $30 dollars an hour as an electrician working for her bio-dad. So, she should be able to graduate debt-free. Just from working this past summer she banked enough to cover her first year’s tuition .

That is definitely a deal on tuition! And a degree is a degree. The campus would be a lot less shabby if the state's paid these hbcu's the money that they are owed.... via federal law at that! The 127 million that KSU has been underfunded could go a long way.

We all need to be respectful, and to listen. I get and respect that. But this "living room" trope is waxing a bit hackneyed. When someone puts his living room in the middle of electronic Times Square, it's not really "his" anymore, eh? There is a surfeit of case evidence that the internet does not imply or provide an "expectation of privacy" or an expectation of much of anything else... for anything, living rooms included.
Not buying it in this case.

Despite this, you missed a very common satirical response that permeates our language. That’s why I was curious about your background.

I hate bees. You argue that bees are birds. The satirical response is to agree to a silly premise instead of challenging it. Okay, I guess I hate birds.
It's enervating and deflating and completely ruins any joke when the teller has to explain it. If that's what happened here, I'm actually empathetic to the emotional position in which I placed you.

Yet, still, I really don't get the joke you were going for.

So, at risk of awkwardness, could you please explain it to m?. (To make it easier, just pretend I'm German, or an average chick, or a member of any other humor-challenged tribe.)

It's enervating and deflating and completely ruins any joke when the teller has to explain it. If that's what happened here, I'm actually empathetic to the emotional position in which I placed you.

Yet, still, I really don't get the joke you were going for.

So, at risk of awkwardness, could you please explain it to m?. (To make it easier, just pretend I'm German, or an average chick, or a member of any other humor-challenged tribe.)

Okay, I’ll give it a shot. It’s not a joke, it’s a common expression when somebody doesn’t want to argue a point of a larger debate.

In his case, you labeled something as an old trope. Instead of arguing about that label, my response was sarcastic.

Sarcasm sometimes doesn’t translate in written form. However, the form I used would quickly be understood to be sarcastic due to its common use in English. I wasn’t being insulting when I asked about your background, I was curious why this common usage wasn’t familiar to you.

Adding parentheticals to my response.

I don't think this board operates under an old and deprecated paradigm or trope but myself and others embrace what you think is an old outdated trope.

The common expression to avoid that wordiness would be to use a common usage that’s widely understood to be sarcastic, I guess I’m okay with old tropes. That reaffirms my belief while questioning your unilateral categorization of something as being a trope.

A political example, if somebody oversimplifies a complex political issue by throwing a bumper sticker like Republicans hate the poor, a sarcastic response might be warranted. One might say, I guess I hate the poor. It often signals a willingness to end a debate.

See the pattern?

Last edited:

They might have combined undergrad and graduate programs in that stat. I believe the graduate programs have lower black representation than the undergrad programs.

Okay, I’ll give it a shot. It’s not a joke, it’s a common expression when somebody doesn’t want to argue a point of a larger debate.

In his case, you labeled something as an old trope. Instead of arguing about that label, my response was sarcastic.

Sarcasm sometimes doesn’t translate in written form. However, the form I used would quickly be understood to be sarcastic due to its common use in English. I wasn’t being insulting when I asked about your background, I was curious why this common usage wasn’t familiar to you.

I don't think this board operates under an old and deprecated paradigm or trope but myself and others embrace what you think is an old outdated trope.

The common expression to avoid that wordiness would be to use a common usage that’s widely understood to be sarcastic, I guess I’m okay with old tropes. That reaffirms my belief while questioning your unilateral categorization of something as being a trope.

A political example, if somebody oversimplifies a complex political issue by throwing a bumper sticker like Republicans hate the poor, a sarcastic response might be warranted. One might say, I guess I hate the poor.

See the pattern?
Well, see, I think that's exactly why I didn't get your "humorous" reply. I've already used that term (formally, not snarkily) right here on this board. That, and a total lack of context to denote humorous usage (though, maybe I'm slow).

Then again, maybe I am German, or a member of humor-deficient tribe.

Well, see, I think that's exactly why I didn't get your "humorous" reply. I've already used that term (formally, not snarkily) right here on this board. That, and a total lack of context to denote humorous usage (though, maybe I'm slow).

Then again, maybe I am German, or a member of humor-deficient tribe.

Did you think I just reversed my opinion so quickly after a somewhat verbose post? I assumed that your mastery of English might also include an understanding of common turns of phrase.

A political example, if somebody oversimplifies a complex political issue by throwing a bumper sticker like Republicans hate the poor, a sarcastic response might be warranted. One might say, I guess I hate the poor. It often signals a willingness to end a debate.

See the pattern?
Also, yes. I am all too well aware of the pattern of folks using words snarkily and as weapons. I don't particularly like weaponizing anything, words least of all. For most of us - especially the great masses who don't speak math even un poco - words are all we've got to describe facts and truth. Instead, especially now, we tend to use them to elicit emotion and bloom terror or avarice. Why do you think people who work in marketing and advertising typically come to the "work"place with language degrees?

Without math, when words get corrupted and fail, society fails, culture fails, commerce fails - civilization fails...TRUTH fails. And, we've not got much math.

Last edited:
Also, yes. I am all too well aware of the pattern of folks using words snarkily and as weapons. I don't particularly like weaponizing anything, words least of all. For most of us - especially the great masses who don't speak math even un poco - words are all we've got to describe facts and truth. Instead, especially now, we tend to use them to elicit emotion and bloom terror or avarice. Why do you think people who work in marketing and advertising typically come to the "work"place with language degrees?

Without math, when words fail, civilization fails.

I have almost no interest in talking to folks that don't readily resort to sarcasm.

I don’t believe in mirth control.

I have almost no interest in talking to folks that don't readily resort to sarcasm.

I don’t believe in mirth control.
Mirth is great! But it demands context. One's audience needs to know one is joking. As you stated, sometimes that's hard to convey on-line, in typing - especially in our current fraught daily reality. Yet, we do have emojis.

Also, mirth should be consumed like potato chips. No good for breakfast, at least before coffee.:)

Back