had a campus tour about a week ago

[ QUOTE ]

Whats the fun in that?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe your right...if I'm gonna have to sell my plasma to be able eat ramen noodles for the next 5 years, it'll probably more fun if I don't know about it ahead of time.
wink.gif

Well a few weeks later and a little bit wiser(i hope)

my parents and i have talked about all the options, and it looks like im going to apply for the key loan, and my parents are going to help me.

They arn't going to co-sign, but they are, over time, going to pay half my loan. Which help considerably, obviously.

My play now is to go and get up to my cfi, and then hopefully get myself into an intern position. My dad says it will be good for me, I'm only 20, not married, no kids, so i can pretty much go anywhere for the internship. Not sure if that narrows it down a bit, but it might.

I have thought about everything, and I think i wouldn't mind flying commercial, but i would prefer something a little smaller.

I'm not concerned about it really, because i realise that i just want to fly.

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, and its completely true. My trainer that i've been training in, just got a new engine, and the mechanic couldn't get to it, so my plane has been grounded for about a week and a half. I have been aching to fly so bad.

so yea, thats my story. now i have to email the flight safety people cause when i was moving i think one of my friends threw away my information packet they sent me, and when i did my campus visit, i had a bunch of info on grants and the key loan info. so now i have to get it all back again.

thanks for all the info thus far.

yea i know, they know too.

i applied for the loan online last night and got denied, so they're probably going to co sign

not sure yet

[ QUOTE ]
, I'm only 20, not married, no kids, so i can pretty much go anywhere for the internship.

[/ QUOTE ]

...your only 20?...have you gone to college? Because I know this pilot who flies for Delta and he says...

no i havn't gone to college, but once i get my cfi i'm going to take classes and instruct

[ QUOTE ]
no i havn't gone to college, but once i get my cfi i'm going to take classes and instruct

[/ QUOTE ]

Just my $.02....I would strongly advise you to go to college first and consider getting your ratings at an FBO while in college. Also consider going to a college with an aviation program.

Flight instructing and going to college at the same time would definately be feasible....but, if you are trying to pay back a loan at the same time....guess which one will take priority. It would be extremely stressful. Full time flight instructors struggle to get by. Besides that, if you work at an FBO and someone wants you to ride right seat in their King Air for a day....guess what I would do in this situation. It wouldn't be listening to a lecture about economics.
cool.gif

Your education should be priority one. (my opinion, and the same as many others on this site)

You know, if you go to a college with an aviation program you can get loans from Uncle Sam to pay for it, and you don't have to start paying on the loans until you graduate, and even then you can put them off until the end of time.

And then when you start (after you graduate) paying the loans you can write the interest you paid off on your taxes. In effect it's almost like Uncle Sam paying for the interest.

Plus...if you're a full time college student you have a lot more opportunities for things like interships.

Oh and did I mention you don't have to start paying on the loans until after (4 years) you graduate, and the interest rate on government loans pretty low.

Just something to keep in mind.

Naunga

[ QUOTE ]
once i get my cfi i'm going to take classes and instruct

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not go the other way around? If you are going to be taking $60k in loans you will be paying $$$$ in interest...why drag that out longer than necessary. Go to school, then go to flight safety.

More importantly... What if the avaition thing turns out to be not what you expected? What if you lose your medical? Get furloughed? Just like in flying, in life you need to always "give yourself an out."

And most importantly you need an education because: "the unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates..."only the educated are free" Epictitus..."Men who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't" Twain...

when i go to school i won't have to pay loans, becuase when you're in school, you don't have to make payments

i have weighed the pros and cons, this is the best situation for me

[ QUOTE ]
when i go to school i won't have to pay loans, becuase when you're in school, you don't have to make payments

[/ QUOTE ]

Which school are you talking about? Because if I understand correctly, after you have finished your flying, you will be paying back loans 6 months after FSA regardless if you're in college or not.

No, that's not necessarily true. I got the Key Loan, but it is deferred as long as I am enrolled at least half time in school (UVSC). Of course the interest continues to accrue which is significant.

Dave

go to school first

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, go to college first then do your flight training. You'll regret it if you dont. There won't be time to instruct and go to college at the same time. I know you are excited about flying and want to just get it all done right away, BUT slow down abit and go to college for awhile even if its community college (its dirt cheap too!!! and transferable almost anywhere!!!). If i were you I would go to college then train while in school and during the summers. Or save up while in college and then after you are done then go to one of the academies. You will be way farther ahead if you do this no matter what your final destination is.
(This is what I am doing and I'm 20 almost finished with my private and I am also getting a non aviation degree as a back-up)

Dont get too discourged about the job market it all follows the economy and what goes up must come down and vice-versa.

Re: go to school first

Students fresh out of High school are very rare at FSI, I have seen a couple and to be honest they either struggled very hard to keep up or ended up dropping out.

The workload here is heavy, high school will not have prepared you for it. I found it managable but I did have a Bachelors degree and to be quite honest I never studied as much/hard in college. Sort of like midterms/finals week pretty much all the time for a year.

I did it when I was 28. No way I would have made it at 18. But back then all I cared about was chasing skirts and having fun!
cool.gif

If your mature enough then, hey why not? Really all depends on you...

no thanks.

i will go to fsi first

i'm not fresh out of high school, i have been working for almost 5 years

this last year i spent traveling the country doing trade shows, being mature enough, or dedicated enough is simply obsurd, and unquestionably not a problem.

i will have plently of time to instruct and work at the same time.

i'm not worried about that either.

with the key loan as long as your in school, you don't make payments, but you do accrue interest, which is fine, like i said my parents have said they will pay half of my loans, which means my interest will be low.

My apologies for double posting, but I think this is appropriate to this thread. Here are my thoughts as I stated in a different thread:

[ QUOTE ]
My suggestion (and I know it won't be popular) is don't go in debt. Debt will eat you alive. Tell Key and the rest of them to kiss off.

Instead, work two or three jobs for a couple of years and stash every single penny you can away to pay the upcoming school bills. Eat mac & cheese or them noodle things instead of going out to the restaurant. Scrimp, save and be as tight as my old Dutch uncle. Or pay as you go with a local FBO. Any way that you can, end up in a position where you can start earning a very meager living by flying, instead of earning a meager living by flying and owing even more than you'll make for the next ten years to some rich banker.

It's tough enough to survive on what low-time pilots earn, much less try to pay off $30,000, $40,000, $50,000 or more in loans. Better to have to work extra jobs now than do it while trying to fly full time as well. Extra jobs and long hours don't add to someone's life expectancy when working most of the lower paying entry level aviation jobs, you know.

If this dream is really worth it for you, you're going to have to make some sacrifices somewhere along the way. Better (again, in my opinion) to do the painful part up front, rather than have to live with the pressure and worries for years down the road. Sacrifice now and enjoy it later.

Just my opinion...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I heard you say your folks will pay half. So earn the other half now, then dedicate the following few years of your life to putting yourself in the best possible position to fulfill your dreams.

Back