Guess they didn't learn the first time.. Delta's new KSEA-PAJN run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, you never know what kind of a summer you are going to have in Southeast. Luckily this is turning out to be an Ok summer. If it was a bad summer things might be different.

To be fair, you never know what kind of a summer you are going to have in Southeast. Luckily this is turning out to be an Ok summer. If it was a bad summer things might be different.

And then Delta might have to do...THE DREADED TWO ENGINE, FULLY COUPLED, FMS DATA MISSED APPROACH!!!!!!!

I hope they never have to go missed, they might crash.

For what it's worth, my divert/cancel rate, doing a crapton more operations into and out of JNU than Delta, isn't much higher than theirs. Granted, it's easier to get in VFR. And just for the record, everyone around here is constantly talking about how fantastic the weather is this summer.

Now I have no dog in this fight, personally ... though some of Delta's radio calls have been kinda lulzy. That said, I'm not entirely sure what the intent of the continual trolling here is. Alaska airlines has an approach that goes lower than the approaches Delta has available. The weather often gets lower than the published approaches, when the weather's bad, but this summer has been hot and dry so far. Juneau is a bit weird, but it's not catastrophically weird. I hear it can get weirder in the winter due to local wind patterns, but I obviously haven't experienced this for myself.

So that said, what exactly are you trying to pick a fight over? Given the approaches and the availability thereof, there's a factual probability that Delta will experience a higher diversion rate than Alaska Airlines. I've heard a Delta pilot say (in person) that Delta was worst-case planning for a 30% diversion rate...but that hasn't materialized due to the unusually good weather.

I have to say that this smacks me as a bit of elitism on both sides—on the Alaska side, the feeling seems to be that some degree of "piloting" is lost in the button-pushing and procedures of the 121 world, and that 121 drivers "outside" likely don't realize just how hairy it can get here. On the Jet Driver side, I get the feeling that people look own on Alaska pilots as reckless, arrogant cowboys who like to boast about how difficult the job is. In reality, we're all just doing different parts of the same darn thing with different operational criteria, and this trolling and bickering comes off to me as excessively mean-spirited.

The aforementioned high-time Delta pilot was a little pale after riding along on a few of our flights on a low-ish-weather day... and I would be completely lost in any jet/large turboprop cockpit ever built.

Do we need to keep doing this?

-Fox

Any Delta diversions yet?
V2b1SiF.gif

For what it's worth, my divert/cancel rate, doing a crapton more operations into and out of JNU than Delta, isn't much higher than theirs. Granted, it's easier to get in VFR. And just for the record, everyone around here is constantly talking about how fantastic the weather is this summer.

Now I have no dog in this fight, personally ... though some of Delta's radio calls have been kinda lulzy. That said, I'm not entirely sure what the intent of the continual trolling here is. Alaska airlines has an approach that goes lower than the approaches Delta has available. The weather often gets lower than the published approaches, when the weather's bad, but this summer has been hot and dry so far. Juneau is a bit weird, but it's not catastrophically weird. I hear it can get weirder in the winter due to local wind patterns, but I obviously haven't experienced this for myself.

So that said, what exactly are you trying to pick a fight over? Given the approaches and the availability thereof, there's a factual probability that Delta will experience a higher diversion rate than Alaska Airlines. I've heard a Delta pilot say (in person) that Delta was worst-case planning for a 30% diversion rate...but that hasn't materialized due to the unusually good weather.

I have to say that this smacks me as a bit of elitism on both sides—on the Alaska side, the feeling seems to be that some degree of "piloting" is lost in the button-pushing and procedures of the 121 world, and that 121 drivers "outside" likely don't realize just how hairy it can get here. On the Jet Driver side, I get the feeling that people look own on Alaska pilots as reckless, arrogant cowboys who like to boast about how difficult the job is. In reality, we're all just doing different parts of the same darn thing with different operational criteria, and this trolling and bickering comes off to me as excessively mean-spirited.

The aforementioned high-time Delta pilot was a little pale after riding along on a few of our flights on a low-ish-weather day... and I would be completely lost in any jet/large turboprop cockpit ever built.

Do we need to keep doing this?

-Fox

Acro- Look at the title of the thread. I'm just poking at that mentality. DL has one of the best critical terrain programs in the world, and like I said earlier starting service into a place like this is nothing new. That doesn't mean we take it non-chalant: that means we're serious and have proven methods operating into and out of some of the craziest places you can fly a jet airliner in the world. I'm sure there will be a handful of diversions.

Acro- Look at the title of the thread. I'm just poking at that mentality. DL has one of the best critical terrain programs in the world, and like I said earlier starting service into a place like this is nothing new. That doesn't mean we take it non-chalant: that means we're serious and have proven methods operating into and out of some of the craziest places you can fly a jet airliner in the world. I'm sure there will be a handful of diversions.

@Acrofox, what he said.

Y'all are still totally missing what the Alaska Mafia is saying.
Naw, I think it's worse than that. It's deliberately misinterpreting things we say so the superior 121 pilots can explain from on high why we are a bunch of uneducated rubes who don't even know what we think we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back