Great Letter to the Editor concerning the Airboat...

Seggy

Taken from the New York Times today...

To the Editor:

In light of Thursday’s heroism by the flight crew of US Airways Flight 1549, I suggest that it is time for the flying public to inspect the way flight crews, pilots and flight attendants are treated by their respective airlines. For many years, retirements have been stolen, salaries have been pillaged and airlines have merged mercilessly, belittling the highly skilled and impassioned professionals to whom so many millions of us entrust our lives.

For too long, we have blindly accepted, and thus expected, unrealistically low airfares, while airlines trimmed service, eventually reducing their employees — yes, the pilots and flight attendants who save lives — to overworked and underpaid versions of their former selves.

I’m not sure that I elevate Thursday’s events to the “miracle” status mentioned by many as much as I am struck by the gallantry and competence of well-trained professionals.

Kathryn L. Keene

North Conway, N.H., Jan. 16, 2009

The writer was a US Airways flight attendant for 31 years and a training instructor for three years.

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

I agree that Miracle is not the word for this event. Yes it is fantastic that everyone lived from such an extraordanary event, but it was not a miracle. It was the result of a highly trained, professional crew doing their jobs. Kudos to them!

Yes, highly trained, BUT also cool, calm and collected enough to actually carry out what they were taught and trained to do in an emergency! They are all very special, dedicated crewmembers and ones we'd do well to emulate.

To the Editor:

For too long, we have blindly accepted, and thus expected, unrealistically low airfares, while airlines trimmed service, eventually reducing their employees — yes, the pilots and flight attendants who save lives — to overworked and underpaid versions of their former selves.

Kathryn L. Keene

North Conway, N.H., Jan. 16, 2009

The writer was a US Airways flight attendant for 31 years and a training instructor for three years.

What complete garbage!!!!!! We blindly accepted and expect unrealistic low airfares???? There is nothing blind about the prices charged and paid for by the sheep that enjoy business class. How odd that highest rated service is routinely performed by the low fare guys.... Jet Blue and Southwest. Put that in your bong pipe Kathryn!

Clueless

What complete garbage!!!!!! We blindly accepted and expect unrealistic low airfares???? There is nothing blind about the prices charged and paid for by the sheep that enjoy business class. How odd that highest rated service is routinely performed by the low fare guys.... Jet Blue and Southwest. Put that in your bong pipe Kathryn!

Hi bunghole -

Do you know what a pension is?

Bunghole,

She is spot on.

Jetblue and certainly Southwest don't always have the lowest fares out there.

Sounds like somebody hasn't purchased an airline ticket in a while! The "low price" designation is nothing more than savvy marketing and they're often not the lowest price.

Sounds like somebody hasn't purchased an airline ticket in a while! The "low price" designation is nothing more than savvy marketing and they're often not the lowest price.

Can i have some wine with that savvy marketing? oic....i'm hallucinating. Well......share with us the the so called low price airlines that Kathryn used in her garbage editorial that has given rise to the frowny airline employee who retires without a pension.

Enquiring minds wanna know!

lol...dude. I just got back from Walgreens and they had this awesome sale on wine from Mexico!

back talking wont effect my 'junior' membership status will it?

You are aptly named.

Yes, highly trained, BUT also cool, calm and collected enough to actually carry out what they were taught and trained to do in an emergency! They are all very special, dedicated crewmembers and ones we'd do well to emulate.

This may be way off key, but as far as I know, airlines don't practice ditchings, because the general consensus is that they are not usually survivable. Correct me if I am worng. I am speaking from hear-say. Not experince.

This may be way off key, but as far as I know, airlines don't practice ditchings, because the general consensus is that they are not usually survivable. Correct me if I am worng. I am speaking from hear-say. Not experince.

I believe FAs do receive training for ditching, but I could be wrong.

"Huh? Do we need drinks? Yeah, I'll have an unopened can of coke, no ice, no cup and the other guy wants a coffee with cream and two equals..."

Back