Great Lakes in 'Hail-Mary' negotiations with newest lender

No, they still have some 1900's with 9 seats and they still have some E120's, do they not?

Yes and yes. My understanding is that they essentially operate in parallel, with both 121 and 135 certificates. They would be foolish indeed to hand back the 121 cert - it has value as an asset. They believe that the world will start revolving in the other direction (Congressional action forcing the FAA to roll back the 1,500 hour rule) and they'll be back in the same old business, making a dime or two on paved runways.

They definitely have both a 135 and 121 certificate depending on the aircraft. All Brasilias are 121. If they put the 10 seats back on their B1900s, they would have to go on the 121 certificate and they wouldn't have the pilots for it. Lots of the B1900s mostly fly EAS routes and usually don't fill up anyways, and the company gets paid regardless. No point in them putting the seats back in.

135.99 allows them to operate without a SIC if they have less than 10 passenger seats on a plane (presuming it is allowed under the AFM). Further, 135.243 allows for pilots who do not have an ATP cert to operate their planes with less than 10 passenger seats. So yes, it is all about their crews.

135.99 allows them to operate without a SIC if they have less than 10 passenger seats on a plane (presuming it is allowed under the AFM). Further, 135.243 allows for pilots who do not have an ATP cert to operate their planes with less than 10 passenger seats. So yes, it is all about their crews.

Operating without an SIC requires an autopilot and a type rating that doesn't require an SIC, neither of which Great Lakes does.

Operating without an SIC requires an autopilot and a type rating that doesn't require an SIC, neither of which Great Lakes does.

Actually they do have a single pilot, "SIC not required" program. There were only a few people that had that privilege in my time there, one being my check airman.

Actually they do have a single pilot, "SIC not required" program. There were only a few people that had that privilege in my time there, one being my check airman.

Most likely to re-positioning planes, I'm guessing? Thankfully I never got saddled with a BE1900 SIC Required Type.

Most likely to re-positioning planes, I'm guessing? Thankfully I never got saddled with a BE1900 SIC Required Type.

I think the check airman, the DO and maybe a couple others had them. Not sure why it was limited to certain people, as the planes were always repo'd with a full crew.

I'm rooting for them, I'm going to need a place to go when I go back to 121 flying.

That's true considering your checkered personal and professional history. There is always a need for airlines like GL. It's like a land for misfit toys. But if GL does go T/U, you can always go to corrosion corner in MIA or corrosion corner north in YIP.

That's true considering your checkered personal and professional history. There is always a need for airlines like GL. It's like a land for misfit toys. But if GL does go T/U, you can always go to corrosion corner in MIA or corrosion corner north in YIP.
Somebody's got to do it. Fortunately, it hasn't come to that...yet. ;)

I have a perfectly good car I could drive into one, for insurance purposes and money, like in that Keanu Reeves movie.

Airplane Repo won't work in the case of GLA.

For the past several years, GLA has owned their aircraft, with great big loans to the company secured by the assets of the company (mainly the aircraft). When they are in default on the requirements of their loan (as they are, yet again, at the moment), the lender's choice is pretty simple: foreclose, shut the place down, and own a bunch of high-time Beech 1900-Ds and Embraer Brasilias, or jack up the interest rates on the loans, vacuum up what money there may be available, and hope the whole mess can be salvaged. If not, hope that they can use the likely losses on GLA against profits on some of their other (non-airline) ventures.

The money guys are in a win-win that they designed. The Repo Man isn't coming for their Beemers.

Back