Great Lakes in 'Hail-Mary' negotiations with newest lender

Supposedly by about five years guys can make 100k at Hagey, not sure what it takes though (check airman, station lead pilot, etc). Where are you based.
I'm floating. SCC, OTZ, ANC, FAI, JNU so far.
First year here, but the pay doesn't go up much every year.

GLA is rolling in dough. Why increase pilot pay if they're unable. You need to staff an airline to run a airline. They're not getting killed like people thought or hoped.

ok to early... I know.

Wikipedia reports that SkyWest is considering a buy-out of Great Lakes to create a pilot flow for their jets. (not footnoted, origin not given, but a reference to Aug 15th puts it in some time reference).

This sounds a bit like a trial balloon, perhaps to entice lenders. I can't find a single reason that this method makes sense, even granting that SKW needs pilots. They have the cash; they could create their own baby carrier with Caravans and/or Pilati, and scoop up GLA's remaining EAS destinations when GLA turns off the last engine.

They could always fly Brasilias with 9 seats, now that SkyWest is ending Brasilia service.:bounce:

This sounds a bit like a trial balloon, perhaps to entice lenders. I can't find a single reason that this method makes sense, even granting that SKW needs pilots. They have the cash; they could create their own baby carrier with Caravans and/or Pilati, and scoop up GLA's remaining EAS destinations when GLA turns off the last engine.

I agree... doesn't make sense. Sounds like WikiGraffiti to me. SKYW has been boasting about their success in going to E175s and getting out of T-props altogether with the mothball of their E-120s. They gave up EAS routes and GLA actually won some of those (probably because nobody else bid...). The Q2 earnings call (http://seekingalpha.com/article/337...arnings-call-transcript?page=4&p=qanda&l=last) combined with other bits of I have makes me believe that SKYW is winning the pilot recruitment game and that growth will be controlled to not over-commit. I don't see a GLA acquisition as fitting any of that.

Wikipedia reports that SkyWest is considering a buy-out of Great Lakes to create a pilot flow for their jets. (not footnoted, origin not given, but a reference to Aug 15th puts it in some time reference).

This sounds a bit like a trial balloon, perhaps to entice lenders. I can't find a single reason that this method makes sense, even granting that SKW needs pilots.

No source cited and it was written by an anonymous user 6 days ago. Like you said, doesn't make sense.

hook_dupin and I agree about our analyses - circle the date! Two bright guys who frequently have different perspectives from the same facts...

Skywest has even taken over a few GLA EAS routes to fly them with CRJ-200s. This is a result of having extra 200s, fuel costs getting & staying lower, and expense discipline. Eg: No outstation overnights, even though the morning flights in particular are less timely for business purposes. But no overnight crew costs, overnight maintenance for more aircraft per A&P, shorter customer service staff hours at the outstation, etc. I assume some tight pencil work, because I certainly don't see them doing this without benefits to SKW.

Last edited:
A friend of mine at GLA flies these EAS routes. He says that many times there is nobody on board to the outstation and nobody to pick up. They fly out, land, keep the engines running, pick up a clearance and head out again because no passengers.

I have flown a couple EAS routes in the CRJ... Really short flights sometimes. Sometimes 4 passengers onboard, sometimes 25.

"Skywest is currently considering a buy out of Great Lakes Aviation (GLUX) to create a pilot flow though for their jets. Purchasing Great Lakes would give SkyWest an additional 87 pilots as of AUG15"

Well, that time has come and GONE.
Someone trying to grab internet attention. [HASHTAG]#FAIL[/HASHTAG]

Executive changes at GLA:

VP & CFO Michael Matthews is out, with a $125,000 golden parachute / consulting deal. The rattling sound you hear in the background is the can tied to his tail for GLA's troubles, I expect. Or it reflects conflict of some sort between Matthews and Gadek, presumably regarding elements of turnaound.

Doug Voss, Board Chair and CEO becomes President. Voss is the majority owner, and co-founder of GLA. Chuck Howell, President, becomes CEO. No information has been made public about whether this reflects a change of responsibilities, or is a window-dressing step in re-building.

The new VP & CFO is a man named Stan Gadek, who currently runs a consulting service specializing in turnarounds. He's been advising GLA in this area. He ran Sun Country Airlines for 5-6 years.

Stay tuned for factual results of what this accomplishes. At the very least, it is tangible evidence of executive action for change. Some such action would certainly be a pre-cursor to new or changed funding.

Facts from GLA SEC filing dtd 9/2/15.

Until they go to a predominately PC-12 fleet and operate single pilot, anything else is window dressing.

Nah, they just need to get their 121 cert back so they can put the other 10 people in their airplanes, and start making money again.

But I think this change in leadership is to little, to late.

Back