Great Lakes faces shortage of pilots!

121 or 135? Scheduled? Airline ops (as a pilot?) Remember I don't know you from Methusa (old man saying)! :)

In 1987 I could rent a C-152 for $36 an hour, and hire an instructor for $16 an hour. I could get a Tomahawk for $29 an hour. $52 for an hour of dual instruction. These days $52 will pay for about 1/2 hour in a 152, instructor not included. That's pretty much the reason I gave up flying. Even if I could have afforded to get my license, I would never have been able to afford to keep it up. I just had better uses for that money.

I do not fly professionally. I never have. I have, however, spent the better part of the last 2 decades working in the airlines.

I do not fly professionally. I never have. I have, however, spent the better part of the last 2 decades working in the airlines.

So you work in a non flying position at an airline and have NEVER flown professionally. Why is it you feel so compelled to argue about things you know absolutely nothing about? No offense and with all due respect, your airline experience really means nothing in comparison to actually flying professionally. Am I wrong?

I have never professed to have knowledge about the profession of flying However, I do have some knowledge about the business of flying,and that is what I am addressing in this thread.

The new rules do nothing to increase safety as it relates to pilot qualifications. All it does is make it harder for certain carriers to hire pilots, and for certain pilots to get hired.

I have never professed to have knowledge about the profession of flying However, I do have some knowledge about the business of flying,and that is what I am addressing in this thread.

The new rules do nothing to increase safety as it relates to pilot qualifications. All it does is make it harder for certain carriers to hire pilots, and for certain pilots to get hired.

(insert a large copy of @SteveC's avatar here)

The only non flying position I can think of that would apply here would be a crew scheduler but I don't think that applies in this case.

Meh, nearly everything you post has the intent to prove you know more than anyone that might challenge you and those folks actually DO fly professionally. I'm pretty certain that having knowledge of the "business" of flying is vastly different than actually doing it.

Derg said:
I figured as much. There are times one needs to sit down "Indian style", quietly, with the rest of the class, and listen. Like trying to debate FAR 117 with what amounts to be a 'civilian'.

You realize how difficult that is for grown ADULTS?

On the INTERNET!?

"Working in the airlines" could mean you've been a ramper for 20 years.

And that's tough work, it's underpaid work, and nobody appreciates rampers, which is complete crap because without ramp, we wouldn't go anywhere.

But at the same time, I don't seek out legal advice from high school civics students.

So help us clear this up, what position, specifically, do you hold? And for how long have you held it?

To paraphrase something that I believe @jtrain609 said (maybe it was @surreal1221), "If a certain segment of an industry exists, and that segment cannot afford to attract qualified applicants or pay a living wage, that segment of the industry deserves to disappear.

jtrain609 said:
"Working in the airlines" could mean you've been a ramper for 20 years. And that's tough work, it's underpaid work, and nobody appreciates rampers, which is complete crap because without ramp, we wouldn't go anywhere. But at the same time, I don't seek out legal advice from high school civics students. So help us clear this up, what position, specifically, do you hold? And for how long have you held it?

What are you doing?

Seriously, wtf-are-you-doing?

Quit it. Just let him starve.

Back