Good/Bad Instructors

I hate when people say "go teach" as if it's something you have to do. You don't have to be a CFI. If you think you'll hate it, don't be surprised if you do. Nothing worse than a CFI who doesn't want to teach- the CFI is miserable, and the student gets cheated.

That said, I was also apprehensive about teaching when I started. I didn't know if I'd be able to do a good job. As it happened, I actually love teaching. Nothing like seeing the look on a student's face after the first solo.

I've got friends who decided not to teach. Not because they thought they were too good, but because they knew they'd hate it. If you really know that you're gonna hate it, save everybody the trouble and don't bother to teach.

jhugz said:
Number one, it is very difficult to go from the 250TT mark to the 500TT to qualify for the aerial mapping, banner towing, jump jobs.

THIS. Hell I'm having a hard time getting the prerequisite 50 hours PIC cross-country for the instrument rating between going to college full time and working nights. I can't even imagine what a pain it must be to get the required multi-engine time down the road, or reach the magical 500 TT for the survey/pipeline/banner(?) jobs or the 1200 TT part 135 IFR mins for most everything else (freight/charter/etc). I think a CFI/II/MEI would make the process a lot easier.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the most anyone has ever agreed with jhugz in a thread. :D

JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T ENJOY INSTRUCTING, DOESN'T MEAN YOU'LL BE A POOR INSTRUCTOR. WORK ETHIC DETERMINES YOUR SUCCESS.

I didn't mean to imply it did. I'm just saying, that if you go into it not wanting to do it, at least make a effort to do a good job.

Just like now, I may hate my job, but I still show up and give 110% to get the job done.

I don't know where this 500TT comes from. People need to realize they are so much more than their logbook. the difference between 300 and 500 is noticeable, but if they want to hire and insure you, they can. I worked for two people that said yeah, whatever is in your logbook, I don't care, I don't even want to see it. It's like 95% YOU and 5% or less your logbook.
My last interview the guy said leave the logbook at home. We'll go fly and figure that out.

I need to make a thread like jhugz that says who the F cares how much time you have. Your logbook means jack crap compared to YOU. If they WANT to hire you, you can be trained. No PA23 time? I don't care. We can teach you how to fly X. I can't teach you to have the personality and non-flying skills I need.

That isn't the norm though holmes.
Not in my experience.
Job posting - mins are 500TT, or 3000TT
Me - call friend (networking), get interview, don't have the "mins" and they don't care.

I have only ever even had 1 company that I've interviewed at even open the thing. And at that one, they just glanced at the last page... ah yes you're legal. Now on the the IMPORTANT parts.

I'll be honest, I never wanted to instruct but knew if I wanted to get somewhere it was an important step. I don't recall ever saying that I wasn't going to do it because I wouldn't have been a good instructor, but if there was an easier way for the taking I probably would have jumped on it.

That said, instructing is more fun than I ever thought. Do I think I am a great instructor? Absolutely not, but I don't think I'm terrible either. I've been instructing for about a year and a half, and I've noticed that my favorite students to teach are instrument and CMEL students. The multi time is an obvious one, but I enjoy teaching instrument students because I think instrument skills makes one a "real pilot". I don't instruct lackadaisically with my other students though, I just enjoy those students a little more. I get a real kick out of it when I see a student nail a landing unassisted, do a nice approach, or pass a checkride--I may not have been the one to actively perform it but it takes me back to when I was a student and could see my progress, and it is really fun to see students progress and enjoy it.

I wish I had started at a busier school, that's my only real regret about instructing.

All the stories that backup mine in this thread do help to quantify my argument. So yes, I believe I can.

For the record, I never said I disagreed with you about that. I just don't think it's necessary to be abrasive when it comes to having that conversation with someone else.

EDIT: Your comment also illustrates the fallacy of division. Just because what's panned out to be true for you and others doesn't always mean its true for the individual. You can't make someone do something that they don't want to do.

I barely have 40 dual given now, and I love it! It really is rewarding to see students progress! I also feel it has helped my skills, airmanship, ADM etc. just by helping others learn, and by observing. Plus you meet a lot of people as an instructor, and you never know... One of your students, or fellow coworkers could be your future connection.

I managed to make it through the instructing phase with only about 450 dual given, and I made all the same excuses that everyone makes against instructing, and they're all BS.

I'll be completely honest. I never really came around to liking instructing. To this day is rather take a punch in the mouth than do pattern work for an hour. I'm still glad I instructed though, and I keep my ticket current.

I'm 100% positive it made me a better pilot. Also, just because I didn't like it doesn't mean I was bad at it. Still managed a 100% pass rate.

Sent via smoke signal.

Up until 2 years ago, I wanted to be a Career CFI. Teach at a reputable university. Get tenured etc etc.

Now, am having second thoughts.

Back