GoJet... Yay or nay?

PenguinAviator

Looks sharp in a tuxedo
Ok here's the dealio... Go Jet is talking a big game as of late and just inked a training agreement with the school I teach at here in HNL.
Me: 800~ish TT
CFI/CFII
50 ME

http://www.gojetairlines.com/careers/Pages/Wingman Internship Program.aspx
From the pitch:
"This program provides promising pilots currently enrolled in a professional airline training program an internship at GoJet while they build flight time. Program participants become GoJet First Officers upon completion of ATP minimums. Interns will receive a GoJet Airlines’ non-crew company badge and will have the opportunity to represent GoJet on their campus and at other recruiting events.

The internship includes a two-day visit to GoJet's corporate headquarters in St. Louis, where participants have the opportunity to talk with new pilots who are actually in systems training, as well as sit in on a new hire class to get a feel for what their training will be like. Students are also exposed to the departments within our Ops Center that they'll interact with when flying the line, including Dispatch, Crew Scheduling and Maintenance Control. Best of all, the Wingman interns have the opportunity to fly in a full-motion CRJ simulator."

My situation is a little different as I don't need the training bonus but I do get the 12k signing bonus once IOE is complete. I would get standby United bene's whilst an "intern" and no contract, no agreement so I can bail if I desired. Plus there's the free training, blah blah blah.

The Capt that came down didn't sugar coat the reputation of GoJet but has assured me that the individuals responsible for the cancerous culture have been pushed out and the company is moving on. So, illustrious and wise members of JC, advice please? Take it or leave it?

I mean, I get it, but I'm pretty sure any first FO job will be •. Get in, get time, upgrade, bail. Granted that, as mentioned in a previous thread, we can't see through the crystal ball to see what will happen to the industry next year, the year after, 5 years, etc which would mean you'd want to be at a solid company.

The way I look at it is I get my foot in the door, get some free swag, and keep applying to Endeavor! :cool:

The Capt that came down
I wonder if that might be the same GoJet captain I had a random conversation with at a regional job fair I randomly attended due to not having any other plans for the day. Just a couple of pilots shooting bull about aviation and the regional industry kind of a thing.
That was a solid guy that would be an asset to any company, the most memorable individual (in a good way) I met at that fair.

I just rode with them as a pax, both in 1A and on the van. They seemed like any other regional crew. F/A's were polite and professional. Pilots didn't complain about anything, even after having to stay at the Galt House.

I’m a captain at GoJet, been here almost two years and have been treated well. I have very few complaints, mainly scheduling. Overall I would honestly recommend GoJet to anyone. There is a lot of competition out there, mainly Endeavors pay scale and of course the flow from the AA trifecta, but things are good here as well. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a message.

You can get hired at any regional without a “bridge program” if you’re a slightly competent IFR pilot and can fog a mirror. I should know, I got hired! There are a ton of better options out there. Stick out instructing, interview everywhere, and see which company best fits you. A recruiter is going to tell you what you want to hear.

I’m a captain at GoJet, been here almost two years and have been treated well. I have very few complaints, mainly scheduling. Overall I would honestly recommend GoJet to anyone. There is a lot of competition out there, mainly Endeavors pay scale and of course the flow from the AA trifecta, but things are good here as well. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a message.

Only if they knew about the alter ego company.

Leave it. How long until you can fly part 121? Between now and then, something better will be along.

Avoid any TSH carrier.

That's pretty much the key point. Every regional is kind of crappy in its own special way, but Hulas is his own kind of special (right up there with Ornstein). The United benefits are all put useless out of HNL as everything is full and your priority is pretty low. There are signing/completion bonuses at almost all the regionals now, including at places that aren't a Hulas company.

Keep busting out the hours and when you get close to the magic number start applying and see who else makes an offer. In the current hiring climate it shouldn't be too long of a wait.

1) Standby benefits are pretty much overrated...especially if I'm understanding correctly that you're in Hawaii. You'll never get to go anywhere.

2) I get a 2-4 day visit to my company headquarters twice a year where I get to fly a full motion sim. It's overrated and you'll have plenty of time to do that later in your career and actually get compensated for it.

Only if they knew about the alter ego company.

I really thought about typing out something long and detailed, but you and that idea isn’t worth my time... But by all means, continue bashing.... GoJet today isn’t the same GoJet of 13ish years ago.

There is little benefit to signing on with a regional early. Things change very quickly in this industry and the last thing you want is to hitch your horse to a turdwaggon (not calling GoJet one) and be stuck. You will have no shortage of opportunities once you get your time.

I just rode with them as a pax, both in 1A and on the van. They seemed like any other regional crew. F/A's were polite and professional. Pilots didn't complain about anything, even after having to stay at the Galt House.
What, you don't like your hotel to have a "The Shining" vibe to it?

Back