Going into ERAU w. no flight time.

eau_d_toilette

well, i think this is a more "real" approach that will produce a much more "real" result than going through the ERAU site. ok, so im in. i got accpeted to embry-riddle, paid the deposit, did the housing and financial aid and im prety much set to go.[so im not really interested in hearing unique spiels on peoples negative experiences with ERAU and how i shouldnt go.] however, can someone please explain to me what a freshman, with no flight time, can expect? im somewhat nervous and i just want to have enough knowledge before i head in. I really want to be a pilot but my family never thought of the idea of sending me to a local FBO and getting lessons. so im in this predicament and would gladly accept any advice.

On this note...i also paid my deposit/housing down payment, etc. I'm going into the Aero Sci program at daytona beach (to the poster, which campus did you choose?) and i will have significant experience, and possibly my PPL (its gonna be a close call whether i get it at home before college). What can I expect as well in the flight training in terms of relationships with other pilots and instructors? Or anything else that might help either of these first two posts.

Also, like the above post, please don't respond by saying that I'm stupid for throwing money away by going to ERAU, i've heard enough of that drivel on this board.

Thanks in advance,
Mike McM

I went through ERAU (years ago) and started with zero flight time... You will be fine! The advantage of going with zero flight time is you don't have to potentially "unlearn" any possible bad habits you may have picked up along the way.

Good luck and enjoy!

Which campus are you going to?

I graduated from ERAU last April and was very happy with my training and all the classes I took. I was in the Aeronautical Science program and minored in Air Traffic Control. I went in with my private license (which I got the day before we left for daytona..talk about cutting it close). Anyways, when I got there none of the freshmen flew their first semester, which was okay. I did my instrument thru multi-commercial there and it only took about one and a half years to do it. Over the summers and on various breaks I got my CFI, CFII, & MEI licenses back in PA. I got lucky and had really great instructors. You'll enjoy yourself while you are there. Of course it had it's moments where I was royally upset but you'll have any place you go. I do have loans to pay back but don't sweat it. The professors and everyone are great people. All have great stories and you learn some really valuable information! If you have any questions for me please feel free to ask. I'll try my best to answer them.

Take care!

I went to Embry-Riddle and would suggest you at least take an introductory flight just to make sure that this is something that you really want to do.

Of all the people I met at ERAU, only about 10% actually went on to graduate. And of the air science students I met my freshman year, over half bailed before the start of sophomore year.

No flight time, no problem. You are certainly not alone. But I know my next door neighbor in the dorms returned from his first flight and said, "Holy crap! That's a lot of work to just go flying!" He didn't return after Christmas.

My best advice is to get into a good study group of people with similar experience; there's no way I would have made it through ERAU without my friends, and going through things together helps immensely. "Cooperate and graduate" is the key to successfully getting through any university.

Best of luck!

Thanks everyone for the replies so far...

If i go in with my PPL, which i should hopefully accomplish..(right now I'm looking for my first solo date...i've tried the past couple weekends up here in cleveland but the wx has been terrible and i've been grounded now for a good 3 weeks because of the weather and because my cfi has two other jobs...a NASA scientist and a college professor so we always have to work around that)

anyway...assuming i have my private before i come (its gonna be close), would you recommend not flying my first semester while i get acclimated to college life, etc. Or would it be better to start plugging away at building more hours once i get there?

Thanks in advance once again!
Mike McM

thank you everyone for the wise words. really comforting for someone who is in complete awe of simply picking up aviation.

Good for you guys for not paying attention to the anti-Riddle garbage. I loved my time there. (Graduated in 2002) I had my PPL when I got there, and got started on the instrument right away. It was the best decision I could have made, as it will ensure that you don't have to stay extra over the summer to finish. The most important bit of advice I can give you is the following: keep your grades up AND DO AN INTERNSHIP!!!!! ERAU's connections to the industry are what seperate it from the other aviation schools. Not only will you have a great time on your internship, but you'll make excellent connections that WILL GET YOU HIRED. I still know a bunch of people down there in Daytona, so feel free to PM me.

thanks a lot everyone. yeah, i am very much against the emrby riddle bashing. i have great respect for the school and what it can offer serious students who want to go somewhere in their life. sometimes, i guess, students really have to man the raines of their future. its what you make of it, right?!

I would have to say that my time at the ER flight-line was not great. Personally, I wouldn't do the flight line stuff again, especially not without any prior knowlage of flying or not having flight time.

I'm not going to get into my life story... again (if you want to read my experience, it is posted under the ER listing " Attention Potential Riddle Students - Got questions?". Just a quick disclaimer, this is just my experience at ER flightline, some people do fine, but most do not.

So that you know that I didn't quit all together, I finished a degree in Aerospace Studies at ER and am currently at ATP in Jacksonville obtaining my raitings. I am currently a Private Pilot working on Multi Private. I will also have finished my raitings through MEI by the end of June, which is about 5-6 months of training. Most ER students don't get that done in 5 years.

I'm not bashing the school it's self, just the flight line. Best wishes to you. If you pick up things very, very quickly, you will do fine. But if you are even remotely slow on grasping concepts, I doubt you will be finishing there, or anywhere near under budget anyway.

My best advice is to work hard and to get an internship (as redbirdfan had said) and don't trust EVERYTHING ER tells you. I did, and it hit me pretty hard in the pocketbook.

By the way, everything negative about Riddle isn't necessarily garbage. Depending on who you talk to, personal experiences can be quite different, some good, some bad... mine... well, I'm quite indifferent on the school itself. I enjoyed the education, but wouldn't dare fly there again.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me... I will get back to you as soon as I can. Although I went to Prescott campus, I might be able to answer some questions about the school in general.

Once again... best wishes.

[ QUOTE ]
experience at ER flightline, some people do fine, but most do not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Majorly incorrect statement... MOST do fine, SOME do not...

This person who appearantly had extreme difficulty in the Flight Program at ERAU continually tries to make it sound like that her fate is what a majority of Riddle students deal with, which is simply not true.

Riddle is an intense program (as it should be)... People who are weak during training may get "weeded out" (probably as they should be). This profession is no place for "marginal" pilots. Riddle isn't going to blow sunshine up your tailpipe, either you can do the training or not. They are straight forward with what is expected and what is required, either you can do it or not...

If you are dedicated, hardworking and capable, you will have no problems. If you need someone to hold your hand continuously and you need a bunch of "ata-boys" everytime you tie your shoes correctly, you are heading to the wrong place.

I graduated from ERAU's Flight Program (with Honors) as well as did a lot of other people I know... I am speaking from experience. As a matter of fact, I have a good friend graduating in 7 weeks...

I agree with Falcon Capt Completely. Graduated in 02, never once had a problem with the flight department, and almost all of my friends and aquiantances can say the same thing. Sure a couple of folks didn't make it through, or had some bumps, but that's just the nature of the beast when you're dealing with flight training.

I'm sure flyn ace's experience was unsatisfactory, and she has reason to dislike the program, but there are 10 success stories for each story like hers.

Hmm... I think we have had this conversation before...

Obviously you don't talk to the people who didn't do well. (hmm... maybe you think you are higher than them?) Maybe if you sat down at talk to the many who didn't make it through the program, you would understand that what I am saying is not a myth.

At anyrate, I am doing rather well at another school that is concitered even more intense than Riddle. I work (and always have worked) extremely hard to do well. I also believe that you don't need a bunch of "atta boys" but you also don't need to be told that you "can't be a pilot" or that you "can't be taught".

Once again, congrats on your achievement, but don't look down on those who did not make it the way you did. Keep in mind, in the end you and I will have the exact same licenses and ratings. I will also have a Riddle degree... which leaves very little difference between you and me.

Once again... Best wishes to those who are starting the program. I hope you do much better than I did, and hope you get your money's worth.

Have a good one.

Please note that I do not share Falconcapt's opinion that you weren't "good enough." All I'm saying is more people get through without a problem than people who have as awfull an experience as you did.

[ QUOTE ]
I do not share Falconcapt's opinion that you weren't "good enough."

[/ QUOTE ]

When did I say that? All I said is that many, MANY more people make it through than those whom do not...

[ QUOTE ]
in the end you and I will have the exact same licenses and ratings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any "Licenses"... I have Pilot Certificates... Licenses expire... Well I do have one license, a drivers license...

Things are much different here. The pace is very, very quick. We fly almost everyday... Sunday through Sunday. Checkrides are scheduled before you get there. They keep up with the promise that you will finish Private - MEI in less than 6 months.

It is very intense and requires a lot of studying. The instructors really teach you what you need to know, if you want to know more about something you need to ask the instructor or find the information yourself.

It is definatly like drinking water from a fire hose, but so far I like it.

Redbirdfan - I appreciate the fact that you do not have the opinion that people who don't make it through ER are just "not good enough". (That has been my epic battle with AS students). It is just that I know a lot more people who didn't make it through the program, or hated every minute of it than who loved it. Like I said, this is just my experience and I am pretty close with a lot of AS students.

And you are also right that DB and PC are two definately different campuses. There really isn't much that is the same between them.

Anyway... thanks again for understanding Redbirdfan!

Back