Glass Panel Waco

WacoFan

Bigly
Some time back in a discussion about glass panels I said that Classic Aircraft had made a glass paneled Waco. Looks like a nice ride to me. Here is the rear cockpit with a G600:
G600.jpg

F5C120_pa01.jpg

Thats awesome:nana2:

Whenever I see a Waco I think of Snoopy, because that was the call sign of the Waco flight I took in Hawaii.:)

I believe I've seen this thing up close. A few years ago a storm came through St. Louis and I couldn't get in/out of CPS so I had to go some place north of town-no FBO with a five hour layover etc, etc, etc...I was sitting on the ramp and this guy came out and spoke to me, showed me around his hanger...got to see this bird. Very, very nice.

I'm a big fan of not modernizing cockpits of classic planes as much as can be feasible...But that looks GREAT! Now that's a Waco I'd take cross-country somewhere. :cool:

I'm a big fan of not modernizing cockpits of classic planes as much as can be feasible...But that looks GREAT! Now that's a Waco I'd take cross-country somewhere. :cool:

I agree and think that to modernize an antique (unless safety is involved) is wrong. That said, the airplane depicted is a brand new airplane that is made by Waco Classic in Battle Creek Michigan. That is why the "N" number is painted on the side of the fuselage - an antique allows for the large "NC" numbers on the wings, with small "NC" numbers on the tail. This machine has to have an "N" number on the side of the fuselage - which is one way a novice can pick a "new" Waco from an original one. There are others as well - main gear is shortened on the new one and the tailwheel is raised provided better forward visibility (but difficult to full stall land - most of the new ones do wheel landings). Also, the new ones are significantly heavier than the originals. An original YMF-5 will fly circles around the new incarnation on the same power.

Where do you put the retardant?????

I am pretty sure that we could take the front cockpit and seats out and install a hopper that could possibly carry some retardant. That is how they used to modify the Waco's and Stearmans (and pre-war the Travel Airs and Curtiss Jenny's) for Ag work.

You have given me a brilliant idea actually. I think what the aerial firefighting business is really lacking is a SEAT that is also a radial engine biplane. I will need your company to send me a check for $200k. Please do this next week. For that money I will secure a Stearman with a 450 P&W and modify it with a hopper in front for retardant. I will deliver this airplane when the mods are done and we we can use it next season. Think of it as a proof of concept vehicle. Your business could corner the market on this type of SEAT. What say you?

...so the real question...is how much you want for that gorgeous bird!? :D

I think they are asking somewhere around $300-500k for new airplanes - depends upon how you want it equiped. I can buy an original Waco, have it restored by a professional shop (new wings, new almost everything) and be in it for $250k depending upon the model and I will have something that is probably a better flying airplane - lighter for sure.

I'm sorry, but that to me is way overkill (too much to worry with) in the cockpit of that sort of airplane. Open cockpit biplanes are for the sound of the wires, not the sound of the music in the aux input while twiddling with the G430 and 530...

I'm sorry, but that to me is way overkill (too much to worry with) in the cockpit of that sort of airplane. Open cockpit biplanes are for the sound of the wires, not the sound of the music in the aux input while twiddling with the G430 and 530...

I agree. I understand that it is a new airplane, but aren't they going for the classic look? A little overkill in my opinion.

So don't get it...there are plenty of classic airplanes that have the vintage cockpits too. I think it's cool that there is an option for a cockpit like this in such a plane. Perhaps it is not for everyone.

Sooo this is not okay, but a G1000 equipped 172 is? Someone help me understand. Perhaps I want a "classic" airplane with a modern cockpit.

p.s. I like it!

Some time back in a discussion about glass panels I said that Classic Aircraft had made a glass paneled Waco. Looks like a nice ride to me. Here is the rear cockpit with a G600:
G600.jpg

F5C120_pa01.jpg

SOOO MUCH GLASS, it BURNS EHHHHGHHHHHS!!!!

Back