Glass Panel Waco

Hmm. . .

Begs to ask - is it worth it?

What's the benefit of having a new spiffy glass interior on such an airplane?

Sure, it looks great. . .but is there any other benefit besides the "mod" factor?

Hmm. . .

Sure, it looks great. . .but is there any other benefit besides the "mod" factor?

Not really, no. What do you get out of an airplane that even though you could fly IFR you wouldn't want to because the rain might risk shorting everything out, or it would just be dammed uncomfortable. I really don't want that kind of instrumentation in anything that weighs less than 12,500 frankly, and even then I don't really like it. But that's just me.

OTOH the exterior looks nice.

Sooo this is not okay, but a G1000 equipped 172 is? Someone help me understand. Perhaps I want a "classic" airplane with a modern cockpit.

p.s. I like it!

Just to clarify, I never said it wasn't ok! It just isn't my preference in an airplane like that. For me, it isn't so much the modern glass in a classic airplane, but the modern glass in an open cockpit biplane that doesn't sit right. But hey, I'm glad you like it!

Hmm. . .

I am not sure at all if it would be worth it. My thing with airplanes is weight - I hate airplanes that are overweight given the amount of power they have. My question is, would the glass panel save weight over the steam gauges?

Not really, no. What do you get out of an airplane that even though you could fly IFR you wouldn't want to because the rain might risk shorting everything out, or it would just be dammed uncomfortable. I really don't want that kind of instrumentation in anything that weighs less than 12,500 frankly, and even then I don't really like it. But that's just me.

OTOH the exterior looks nice.

The misgiving I would have is flying the airplane hard IFR with an engine that is basically 70 years old. They are remanufactured for sure, but still...

Flying one in the rain is no big deal - the open cockpits I have flown generally keep you dry in the rain, it is when you stop that you get wet. I think the primary thing that matters in keeping dry is the center-section design and how airflow comes off that relative to the windshield.

I am not sure at all if it would be worth it. My thing with airplanes is weight - I hate airplanes that are overweight given the amount of power they have. My question is, would the glass panel save weight over the steam gauges?
Not in the Cessna 172. Ours picked up about 70 lbs when we traded from the steam gage with G430 up to the G1000.

I am pretty sure that we could take the front cockpit and seats out and install a hopper that could possibly carry some retardant. That is how they used to modify the Waco's and Stearmans (and pre-war the Travel Airs and Curtiss Jenny's) for Ag work.

You have given me a brilliant idea actually. I think what the aerial firefighting business is really lacking is a SEAT that is also a radial engine biplane. I will need your company to send me a check for $200k. Please do this next week. For that money I will secure a Stearman with a 450 P&W and modify it with a hopper in front for retardant. I will deliver this airplane when the mods are done and we we can use it next season. Think of it as a proof of concept vehicle. Your business could corner the market on this type of SEAT. What say you?
Sorry we aren't part of the bailout. Hmmmmm

Glass panel Waco... glass panel Decathlon as well...

Just ran across this picture...

Decathlon.jpg

Not in the Cessna 172. Ours picked up about 70 lbs when we traded from the steam gage with G430 up to the G1000.

Glass panel Waco... glass panel Decathlon as well...

Just ran across this picture...

Decathlon.jpg

See, with the post above about how the airplane gained weight, and now with the post of the glass Decathalon I have to ask: Why would anyone want to make a light airplane (Waco, Decathalon, C-172) heavier? I have almost been of a mind that the glass panels would somehow be lighter than the steam gauges - if they aren't lighter then it is a waste. HP to Weight ratio is key for me.

See, with the post above about how the airplane gained weight, and now with the post of the glass Decathalon I have to ask: Why would anyone want to make a light airplane (Waco, Decathalon, C-172) heavier? I have almost been of a mind that the glass panels would somehow be lighter than the steam gauges - if they aren't lighter then it is a waste. HP to Weight ratio is key for me.

Yeah, but the increased performance you get from those metal spars makes up for all these new fancy glass avionics! :sarcasm:

(Waco, if you want more info, PM.)

Back