Giving dual instruction during passenger commercial ops

Propilot

Is there a reg that prohibits giving/recieving dual instruction during commercial passenger flights under part 91? (ie, skydiving operation).

I thought i read that but I cant find the reg anywhere.

Propilot said:
Is there a reg that prohibits giving/recieving dual instruction during commercial passenger flights under part 91? (ie, skydiving operation).

I thought i read that but I cant find the reg anywhere.

No, there is no reg prohibiting it. I know some Part 91 corporate pilots (flying King Air 200s) that give instruction to other pilots while flying pax for hire.

Uhhh, flying PAX for hire part 91? I hope the pilots are flying the owners of the airplane around. If not, we're getting into some 134 & 1/2 shady operations.

You can give dual during the empty legs that are part 91, but not when carrying passengers.

EDUC8-or said:
Uhhh, flying PAX for hire part 91? I hope the pilots are flying the owners of the airplane around. If not, we're getting into some 134 & 1/2 shady operations.

You can give dual during the empty legs that are part 91, but not when carrying passengers.

Not necessarily. Purdue operates 2 KingAirs in which dual is given while flying various university people to whereever they need to go (and charging their respective department). Part 91 ops, dual is given up front.

The Purdue people qualify as owners for that purpose. Also skydiving is local in nature so it's not under 135, or at least not yet anyway.

EDUC8-or said:

There are plenty of passenger-carry operations under part 91, carry the owner(s) around, or their clients. I do it all the time!

So, if I'm flying the 206's owner to Jacksonville, why couldn't I give you dual instruction while he's in the back?

Gulfstream provides instruction while carrying paying passengers in 121 operations.:eek:

We should pool our resources and take out full page ads in major newspapers highlighting this operation.

Ralgha said:
Gulfstream provides instruction while carrying paying passengers in 121 operations.:eek:

We should pool our resources and take out full page ads in major newspapers highlighting this operation.

Instead, just give a call to ABC or something. Maybe one of them would be interested in doing a story. You know what, i might just ask to see if they are.

EDUC8-or said:

How is it any different if you're flying the owners friends around? The owner is still the owner and operator of the aircraft and it still falls under a part 91 operation. My dad is a contract pilot and the owner of the 200 he flies wants me to fly someday also. So whenever I'm in the airplane, even if all 8 seats are filled I do the flying and get dual received.

mtsu_av8er said:
There are plenty of passenger-carry operations under part 91, carry the owner(s) around, or their clients. I do it all the time!

So, if I'm flying the 206's owner to Jacksonville, why couldn't I give you dual instruction while he's in the back?

Exactly, you're flying the owner of the airplane around just as I had posted. There's no reason why you couldn't, but just be carful to check the insurance policy involved or make sure you carry your own insurance. I'm not aware of too many policies that would cover you if your student bent some metal while your primary purpose is carrying the owner(s) or their clients/friends around.

Also, is your student paying you for instruction while the owner is paying you to fly them down to JAX? As a student if I'm paying a CFI I'm going to make sure their number one priority is to teach me.

FlyOrDie said:
How is it any different if you're flying the owners friends around? The owner is still the owner and operator of the aircraft and it still falls under a part 91 operation. My dad is a contract pilot and the owner of the 200 he flies wants me to fly someday also. So whenever I'm in the airplane, even if all 8 seats are filled I do the flying and get dual received.

Owner(s), their clients, friends, etc... Again there is no reason you can't fly them around and receive/give dual instruction. I just want people to be aware of some of the 134 & 1/2 stuff that goes on. I believe their friends could even split the cost of the flight with them as long as the owner is aboard.

In the past I was asked to fly friends to the Keys and the Bahamas and I discovered the owner was going to be compensated for the flight. I declined and they found someone else to take the flights. He didn't know about the compensation involved and when he did find out he left the people standing on the ramp of an FBO. I'm not saying the people you are involved with are shady, I'm just saying cover all of your bases. There are people out there that may even be violating the FAR's without your knowledge and since you're PIC that gets you into some sort of mess here or there.

Back