GA barred from flying to Kitty Hawk Tommorrow

SUSPilot

In an ironic move by our wonderful Secret Sevice, FFA and MQI, the two closest airports to the site of the Wright Brothers first flight, and the reinactment of that flight on the 100th anniversary will be shut down by the 10nm ring of the Presidental TFR. This can be seen on the AOPA website . I know that the president needs protection, but the very thing that is being celebrated tomorrow, will not be allowed within 10 miles of its birthplace.

This just kills me. Surely he knows what effect he has on GA wherever he goes? Or maybe I assume too much...

How about having a taped speech instead of having GWB on site? It's gotta be cheaper.

So fly to the next closest airport and drive the last couple miles. I think it's great that President Bush is showing up.

that is absolutely ridiculous... the whole point of everyone being out there is to commemorate the day and the event.. It's all good and well that GW will be there - great for the ceremony of the event and what not... but for once - GW could come after that flight has taken place....

absolutely ridiculous (my new word for the rest of the year!).. haha
grin.gif

In taking a quick look at the area, the closest airport that should be open is, I think, Northeastern Regional. My mapping program says it is 82.1 miles away from Kill Devil Hill.
Here's a sectional view of the restricted airspace: Graphical TFR
mad.gif

Who does this Bush think he is.....the president LOL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

It's great that he is showing up and his presence can help support not only GA but aviation of all types.

The thing isn't that Bush is showing up. It's the BS that is associated with him being there. You know what the response of the Homeland Security department is to the fact that terrorists hijacked four transport category aircraft on September 11, 2001?

Their response is to essentially shut down three general aviation airports near DC, one of which was where the Wright Brothers themselves gave flying lessons to Army pilots. If you want to fly there, you need to get cleared by three government agencies and then go down to the FSDO for an interview and then get fingerprinted.

Think you're done after you're cleared? Nope. Now you need to file not just an ADIZ clearance, but a FRZ clearance. You need to contact the Potomac Tracon on the phone -- no calling clearance delivery on your radio when you're ready to take off -- and get a squawk. And then your flight plan is sent over to the Secret Service and the TSA and NORAD.

For what? The longest runway at the three airports that are suffering from this nonsense is 3,000 feet long. Oh, yeah, at that airport? The air wing of one of the local police departments is headquartered there, so I don't know how much more security you want than having a police station right on the damn field!

The last guy who busted the Presidential TFRs was classified as a non-threat by every single agency involved. So why not just stop screwing around with these TFRs that only penalize GA but do nothing to make the President more secure.

I could make a smart ass comment about the current administration and its misguided response to various security threats, but I won't.

grin.gif

This is the way I see it. Yes, the GA planes themselves, can't do nearly as much damage as the 9/11 planes. But a plane aimed in the right direction could take out the pres, could put a sniper in a better position, and I could go on.
If you walked by me I'd have a good idea if your packin or not. If your in a plane or helicopter, I have no idea what you have.
If I knew planes could not fly around me, I know I'd be more secure.

[ QUOTE ]
So fly to the next closest airport and drive the last couple miles. I think it's great that President Bush is showing up.

[/ QUOTE ]

bwahahahahahahah!

man that is funny

Curious about the TFRs

So is the entire 10nm radius a restricted area for all flights (including airliners) ?

What happens if George Bush were to fly into a major city like Los Angeles or New York? Does all traffic suddenly stop there?

Curious.

Re: Curious about the TFRs

For the most part, it only applies to GA flights. From the NOTAM, these flights are exempt:

LAW ENFORCEMENT AND MILITARY AIRCRAFT, DIRECTLY SUPPORTING THE UNITED STATES SECRET SERVICE (USSS), EMERGENCY MEDICAL FLIGHTS, AND REGULARLY SCHEDULED COMMERCIAL PASSENGER AND CARGO AIRCRAFT THAT MEET OR EXCEED THE TSA'S DOMESTIC SECURITY INSPECTION PROGRAM STANDARDS AND ARE ARRIVING INTO AND/OR DEPARTING FROM 14 CFR PART 139 AIRPORTS

I think the simple solution would be to get a couple of cow hearts/innards change your callsign to LIFEGUARD, and bust the TFR, and launch the cow hearts down onto his majesty. I think he should be familiar with this prank (well, at least the same prank not involving a plane) from his days as a delinquent student buying his way through Yale.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the GA planes themselves, can't do nearly as much damage as the 9/11 planes. But a plane aimed in the right direction could take out the pres, could put a sniper in a better position, and I could go on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and so could a truck bomb, or a guy on a grassy knoll or book depository. Are we going to ban all trucks from being anywhere near the President now? And ban all grassy knolls? And all book depositories?

GA had NOTHING to do with any terrorist attacks anywhere. Period. Name one instance where GA was used in a terrorist attack, and don't tell me about that joker who flew his plane into a building in Tampa. That was a suicide and if he did it with a car, nobody would have even noticed.

[ QUOTE ]
GA had NOTHING to do with any terrorist attacks anywhere. Period. Name one instance where GA was used in a terrorist attack, and don't tell me about that joker who flew his plane into a building in Tampa. That was a suicide and if he did it with a car, nobody would have even noticed.

[/ QUOTE ]
True! AND to take it a step further - the damage caused to the building was no more than the equivilent of a "scratch". One office had to be renovated....some glass replaced... and that was it.

How do I know? I work in that building.

Okay, this has really gotten me upset. Somone made the point that we are celebrating our history and aviation and how far man has come in powered flight. Yet, those people that fly and want to celebrate BY flying to the site are punished, or at the very least hindered. Last time I checked my history, 9/11 involved AIRLINERS not GA aircraft, yet the only aircraft affected by the presidential TFRs are GA. Airliners are allowed to go about their business. Why? The public and the airlines would not re-elect his holiness b/c they would be angry. I'm pretty sure AOPA is gonna turn their back on him next year (after they get the knife out of it). So, on a more constructive note, is there an address/phone number/web site/anything where we can go to complain about the TFR for the centennial? I doubt we can do much for the other ones, but I think if pilots should stand up against a TFR THIS is the one.

When I was a kid, then, President Ford came to my sleepy little town. One of our neighbors (a blustery type, always wanting to be heard) threw a fit about how traffic had been backed up, helicopter noise, police everywhere etc.

My Father (an immigrant) simply replied; I am proud to be in the company of the President of the United States, no matter what the temporary inconvenience.

I would have gladly been at Kitty Hawk today, and shared a bit of history with the President of the United States. It would have been an honor.

[ QUOTE ]
So is the entire 10nm radius a restricted area for all flights (including airliners) ?

What happens if George Bush were to fly into a major city like Los Angeles or New York? Does all traffic suddenly stop there?

Curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, yes. Remember when Clinton got his hair cut at LAX on AF1 and he closed the airport for hours?

Generally, I think the President (not a specific one) probably doesn't understand the affect that he has on GA. Would you think about it--and if you did, would you care--if you weren't a pilot yourself?

[ QUOTE ]
I would have gladly been at Kitty Hawk today, and shared a bit of history with the President of the United States. It would have been an honor.

[/ QUOTE ]

And many of us would have loved to have done that, too. Unfortunately, el Presidente won't let us.

[ QUOTE ]
My Father (an immigrant) simply replied; I am proud to be in the company of the President of the United States, no matter what the temporary inconvenience.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the point. The point is the irony/stupidity that on this day his appearance stopped the very activity he was commemorating!

Back