Future of SWA

[ QUOTE ]
Their bosses wanted to boost their workday to 13 hours from 10½. The attendants also didn't like the lack of meal breaks and the fact that they didn't get paid when their planes sat idle -- even though they spent that time cleaning the cabins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cry me a river. We have a 14 hour workday that is extendable to 15 hours for weather or maintenance delays. We also only get paid when the airplane is moving, even though we work nonstop almost.

Meal breaks are hit or miss. Lately we've had a lot of slack time, but it isn't due to scheduling's big heart; it's more due to the schedules that UAL gives us.

[ QUOTE ]
Southwest's labor unions have become more vocal and aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting. Most media did not even acknowledge that SWA had a union when things were looking brighter. The finances look a little shaky and people are a bit dissatisfied and, all of a sudden, SWA is a union carrier.

====

As to the question of flying for enjoyment, it's this type of attitude that permits the Mesas (no offense, John
wink.gif
) and Chatauquas to flourish and bring down the standard of living for the entire industry.

I can understand that pretty much anything is a step up from instructing, but have some pride guys, don't sell yourselves too cheaply. The pilot of a complex aircraft flown to FAR 121 standards with the lives of thousands of passengers annually in his hands deserves more than $15,000 per year.

I think that ALPA is partly to blame as well. The infamous Mesa contract that everyone deplores was ALPA approved. If ALPA can become a single union instead of a multitude of tiny unions then we might stand a chance of negotitating minimum across-the-board standards for pay and work rules. Of course, such an organization might not pass muster with the DOJ's antitrust people.

[ QUOTE ]
But see what I am trying to say is simple. I want to be a pilot because I love to fly, not because of how much money you bring in.

[/ QUOTE ]

You yourself may not have a problem chowing on Top Ramen every night and riding your mountain bike everywhere, but get a few years under your belt, and maybe a wife and a kid or two and that lifestyle will no longer cut the mustard. Pilots deserve a reasonable return on their investment in their training. In any other career field, it'd be unfathomable to require $50-100,000 in training and several years experience and then be compensated the way regional airline pilots are.

Yea, pilots should get paid alot. Many people seem to disagree, I think it was somethng about the United DC10 that crashed in Sioux City, said the Capt.; Al Haynes was paid too much. Give me a freakin break. People that say pilots get paid too much need to go jump off a bridge.

But anyway, bottom line, your older, more experienced in the field. I'm young, havn't had a job, havn't had to pay for anything, but I know when I do have to do that it will change, and I'll agree with you.

I'm only 15 by the way
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
As to the question of flying for enjoyment, it's this type of attitude that permits the Mesas (no offense, John ) and Chatauquas to flourish and bring down the standard of living for the entire industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you meant that? Has ACA really helped to bring that standard up recently??? CHQ is taking a stand, we'll see what comes out of it, but at least they arent giving up easily.

Yea, kinda of reminds me when I played Bass for a living. People think you should play for the love of the music and not the money. BU*****T! Tell my creditors that I do what I do because I love it, somehow I don't think they will care. As far as I'm concerned, clubowners, or anyone else who thinks you should do anything for the love of it without being willing to pay for it, is a damn rip off!

Cory

Welcome to Jetcareers. Your attitude is refreshing...I was so totally, exactly, like you when I was 15 but we didn't have the internet then, so I couldn't tell anyone else.

Do me a favor and don't ever say you'd be a professional pilot for nothing. Professional pilots deserve to make a decent living, no matter what, and to say you would do it for nothing does nothing but encourage those who would take advantage of your love for aviation to put money in their own pockets....this lowers the bar for the piloting profession.

I'm glad you're here rather than on the X-box like most 15 year olds I hang out with. Hope you learn a lot here...

Re: Cory

Cory, Im gonna tend to agree with them on this one. If you had to start out flying a Beech 1900 for 20 bucks an hour. So be it. But there are promotions, and aircraft upgrades. I tell you, if i had to do that, i would be flying the 100 Hours each month.

[ QUOTE ]
Homer - "What the hell am i gonna do with a thousand angel ash trays."

Bart - "I could take up smoking."

Homer - "You damn well better."

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott, great signature. It is one of favorite quotes from the Simpsons. I love this one:

"I think the saddest day of my life was when I realized I could beat my Dad at most things, and Bart experienced that at the age of four."

Are you by chance a mentor at the PMN?

There is a pilot from KGEG, who flies for UPS over there. Who I believe is the co-founder.

But, you know I really didn't mean "flying for nothing" to that extent. I don't think I would... it's an expression to show how much you love something.

I do have a great passion for flying, aviation, and hope to persue it someday. And honestly, you people are really discouraging, to say it's bad because I like it so much, and would do alot of scary crap to get there, HAHA. Yea it's discouraging, I'll tell ya that, but then again it's... reality... money is life. I really wonder... was it ever about the flying, that you once dreamed? Or is money far to important than living... that dream.
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Homer - "What the hell am i gonna do with a thousand angel ash trays."

Bart - "I could take up smoking."

Homer - "You damn well better."

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott, great signature. It is one of favorite quotes from the Simpsons. I love this one:

"I think the saddest day of my life was when I realized I could beat my Dad at most things, and Bart experienced that at the age of four."

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a good one too. Another one from the same episode...

Lisa - I think it's wrong to advertise this thing as an angel when we have no proof on what it is.

Homer - If you look closely you'll notice that I did not once use the word angel.

Lisa - Whats that?

*scrolls to sign that say <---ANGEL

Homer - That's a typo.

Cory,
To me, when i first got into aviation, i had no clue what i pilot made money wise. And at the age on 6 or 7. Most don't. But i still wanted to do it. I just don't see it as something i would do all my life at minumum wage. I agree with you in the sence that we all love aviation and do crazy things for it(just don't ask about my photo session today). I just couldn't see myself doing that...

Yeah...that's me at PMN.

We don't mean to discourage. We mean to educate about the reality of the real world as we see it. You see flying in a different way, it's a way that only a kid who loves flying can see it...and that's so cool. You haven't been exposed to the part of being a professional pilot that makes you love your time off more than love the time being in the jet.

I haven't been in the jet for 3 weeks and am looking forward to it but I promise you that by next Thursday nite, I'll be tired of it and ready to go home. Getting up at 4am can wear on you. Let me ask you this...if you got up at 4am to hit the X-box for four days in a row, would you be able to enjoy it? No 15 year old I ever met can get up at 4am during the summer and be a happy camper...even for the X-box.

Hehe, I see what you mean. I just wish I wasn't like that. That's all. And THANK YOU for PMN, Bryan is my mentor, great guy. Awesome website.

To answer your question -

First off, X-box is uncomparable to flying in the real world. That's just common sense. And I do not play X-box, or Nintendo, or that other one, Play Station.

But what I do play is flight simulator, and yes I have gotton up early, and have stayed up later than normal to start, or finish a flight. And yea, it's just a game, but people take it real serious (read below), and I try to learn as much as possible from it. It's fun.

About serious, read this http://www.avsim.com/pages/0402/pss_airbuspro/pss.html It's a package with a panel that's 80% the real mccoy, which also includes that Airbus MCDU,
grin.gif
. And this is an Airbus, tought bird to fly
smile.gif
So yea, if that flight is scheduled for a 0400 hours departure, I'd be there, and it has happened a few times, I enjoy it. Make a cup a joe' and rising sun, sounds of the speakers making that supposed to be airplane noise (hehe), it's awesome
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
But what I do play is flight simulator, and yes I have gotton up early, and have stayed up later than normal to start, or finish a flight. And yea, it's just a game, but people take it real serious (read below), and I try to learn as much as possible from it. It's fun.

About serious, read this http://www.avsim.com/pages/0402/pss_airbuspro/pss.html. It's a package with a panel that's 80% the real mccoy. And this is an Airbus, tought bird to fly
smile.gif
So yea, if that flight is scheduled for a 0400 hours lauch, I'd be there, and it happens a few times, I enjoy. Make a cup a joe' and rising sun, sounds of the speakers making that supposed to be airplane noise (hehe), it's awesome
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott/Cory,

There was a guy on an earlier thread in this very forum looking for someone with computer experience to participate in his British Airways VA. I know you guys are interested in that, but I don't know if you've seen his post. It's on page 2 or 3 of this section.

Hmm, I can't seem to find it. Well I know Scott would be unable he is the Hub Manager over at Southwest Virtual, and I really don't like flying out of the states, the terrain really doesn't change.
cool.gif

But thanks for the tip MikeD
smile.gif

Cory Kilmo.....dude we know that your only 15 how could we forgot you have said it at least 5 times. Also from your lil thing "Fly The Red Tails" I can tell you have a thing for Northwest Airlines.

Delta is so much better of an airline then NWA...
tongue.gif

Everett Sterling Anderson

Fly The Widget...

[ QUOTE ]

Delta is so much better of an airline then NWA...
tongue.gif

Everett Sterling Anderson

Fly The Widget...

[/ QUOTE ]

Air America beats them all out, Ev.
laugh.gif

Mr gaypilot18

I'm 15 years old. Now 6 times. WOW
shocked.gif
What is the point of your post? To annoy me? That really doesn't work.

Yes, I do like NWA. And yes I do like DAL as well. Heck I like every airline, just want to spend a career at NWA, that's all.

I don't know why you consider Mesa a low paying airline. I made more there than ANY other airline, including Eagle and Midway.

They have industry standard right now in their contract (for pay rates anyway.)

And glad to see you all jumped on that guy who said he would fly for nothing. Everyone needs that hair blasting back screaming in your face at least once in their career. I was fortunate to get it early, when I only had a couple hundred hours.

He says "imagine doing what you like and getting paid for it." Every job starts that way! I enjoyed engineering for a few years! Flying an airliner was enjoyable for a while, but lets face it; after a while you want to be paid, and paid well.

It's like this, everyone likes a steak dinner (insert whatever your favorite meal is), but after you eat it 14 hrs a day 5 days a week for awhile, you start to want something else.

Back to Mesa: They treated me well. Any bad things that came along were usually a result of inexperience and incomptence. Now at Eagle and Midway there was also the anti-pilot hostility factor that was worked in to everday "negotiations." To long a story right now. Another thread maybe.

[ QUOTE ]
Mr gaypilot18

I'm 15 years old. Now 6 times. WOW
shocked.gif
What is the point of your post? To annoy me? That really doesn't work.

Yes, I do like NWA. And yes I do like DAL as well. Heck I like every airline, just want to spend a career at NWA, that's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heres what i want you to do. Erase teh A320 off your flight sim and download a Cessna 150. Turn off the airconditioning in the house. Turn off all the fans until after you takeoff. Call your mom upstairs and tell her to take the controls and you are going to teach her to fly today. Take off and do circles 10 miles from the airport you took off from, after an hour and a half tell her to go back and talk her through the landing. Have Fun. Repeat daily, 7 Days a week.

Back