Future Colgan Payrates

We have a scope grievance at Mesa that'll be heard soon, apparently Management thought it would be cool to outsource flying (go! express) to Mokulele (and now Island Air who flies Dash-100s). Hmm... I fly Dashes too and am getting furloughed. :p

Summer/ Fall....whenever it happens, it'll support the 'single carrier' position.

After the Pinnacle contract is done. They'll keep pushing it back and pushing back. To do otherwise would validate what we're asking for in our scope proposal, I believe.

As far as duty rigs. Screw that. Just get the 4 hour min day. OMG is it good.

You really need both. The min day prevents you from getting screwed on a 1.5 hour flight for the day and wasting your whole day, but the rigs force them to schedule days efficiently. For example, we have a 1:2.5 duty rig. If I'm on duty for 12 hours, they have to pay me at least 4.8 hours, even if I only fly 4 hours because of long breaks between legs.

Yep. Management can drag out negotiations indefinitely as we have seen over and over again.

Not true at all. Management can only drag out negotiations as long as the NMB will let them. Under the Bush NMB, they could drag things out for about 5 years before the pro-business NMB would finally step up and do something. Under the Obama NMB, it will be a much different story. You'll probably see a return to the historical standard of 2-3 years in negotiations. The new NMB appointment, Linda Puchala, was just confirmed by the Senate last week. Expect things to change in our favor.

I have not heard any talk lately of ALPA and a national seniority list.

That's because you haven't been listening. Perhaps you should actually spend some time talking to your reps about these issues instead of just bitching about them. Your MEC Chairman is a member of the ALPA CSPC (Career Security Protocol Committee) that is working on the national seniority list concept, so he is quite familiar with it. Perhaps you should talk to him about their progress and get educated.

If we had market based wages you could do just that.

If we had market based wages you would be making a quarter of what you're making now, and that's on the optimistic end of the spectrum. Market based wages would be the end of flying airplanes as a profession instead of just another crappy job.

Is it right that an FO that has been here 2 years less than I have makes $6,000 a year less? NO! He does the same job I do.

Is it right that a CA that has been here for 20 years makes $35,000 more than a newly upgraded CA? NO!

Yes, it is right. Longevity pay scales reward employees for loyalty and many years of faithful service to their customers. Someone that has served a company for only two years should not be compensated as well as someone who has served a company for 22 years.

I am not the enemy here.

Actually, you kind of are. You're just another pilot in the big group of pilots that likes to bitch and whine without getting involved and getting informed. When was the last time that you discussed these issues with you Status Rep? When was the last time you attended a Local Council meeting? When was the last time you attended an MEC meeting? When was the last time you talked with an MEC Officer? Your questions would be answered if you would talk to them instead of constantly bitching about the system.

Let's think about the reasons you might need insurance.
1. Company fires you.
2. FAA action against you.

3. Company doesn't adhere to the established work rules.
4. Company doesn't pay you properly.
5. Company doesn't make proper retirement contributions.
6. Company is purchased or merged with another company.
7. Company tries to outsource you flying.
8. Need I go on?

As for FAA action. If AOPA can offer legal services for the $40 they charge I am sure an enterprising aviation attorney could offer a reasonable rate on services more geared for the 121 world. I am certain it would be a far better deal than what we are paying now.

I think you'd better look into what AOPA actually offers for that $40. It isn't what you think it is. As far as an "enterprising attorney," a relatively decent attorney that specializes in pilot issues costs on average about $400/hr. Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

How much longer can this BS go on for? At some point they have to deal with the NMB don't they?

(I'm still a newb so forgive if the question has an easy obvious answer)

From what I'm hearing, the PCL contract will either be settled soon or they'll be released. I don't think you'll see them go past this fall without a new contract.

If we had market based wages you would be making a quarter of what you're making now, and that's on the optimistic end of the spectrum. Market based wages would be the end of flying airplanes as a profession instead of just another crappy job.

Yes, it is right. Longevity pay scales reward employees for loyalty and many years of faithful service to their customers. Someone that has served a company for only two years should not be compensated as well as someone who has served a company for 22 years.

If pay rates don't improve at each "year" for all airline companies including mine, I'm taking my hours, once I get them, over to corporate aviation where experience and background is rewarded accordingly from the start - just like any other job.

If pay rates don't improve at each "year" for all airline companies including mine, I'm taking my hours, once I get them, over to corporate aviation where experience and background is rewarded accordingly from the start - just like any other job.

The only problem with a corporate job is the fact that most of them require a type rating...

On the two posts I just 'unapproved':

Alright folks, keep the post on tracks so I can get some work done in the other window.

If you've got a delicate ego or are trying to "draw a foul" on your mortal forum enemy, go play in the Lavatory for a bit.

Most companies will pay for an initial type for the exchange of a training contract.

Wow, you really haven't looked at the corporate thing very closely, have you? There are some really fantastic jobs there, but they won't even LOOK at your resume unless you have a PIC Type, time as PIC in Type, and you are good friends with someone else who flies for them. Good luck to you though.

Let's get back on track and do some more complaining about Colgan!

Wow, you really haven't looked at the corporate thing very closely, have you? There are some really fantastic jobs there, but they won't even LOOK at your resume unless you have a PIC Type, time as PIC in Type, and you are good friends with someone else who flies for them. Good luck to you though.

Let's get back on track and do some more complaining about Colgan!

Final quick aside..... I worked for a 135 Corporate operator - granted it wasn't the most fantastic job out there (but hey, that's where I can go get my PIC type ;)), but the 401k match, health plan, and pay rate were decent.

From what I'm hearing, the PCL contract will either be settled soon or they'll be released. I don't think you'll see them go past this fall without a new contract.

Likely. Although the new pass issues are taking some serious side roads. Could be blood drawn at the next negotiating session. I'd say we're either released by the end of the fall or we've struck the airline into non-existence. After we're gone, I don't know if they can or not, but Colgan might finally get those jets.....

Can an Airline Holding company, when they see a strike is emininent, shut down the entire airline and move all the aircraft to the 2nd airline in their holding company? To me that sounds like a job action.

Need integrated seniority list!

Can an Airline Holding company, when they see a strike is emininent, shut down the entire airline and move all the aircraft to the 2nd airline in their holding company? To me that sounds like a job action.

Need integrated seniority list!

Bonus for us is Colgan is now ALPA, which means they won't fly stuck work. If the airline shuts down, it's no longer struck work. Now you're in a grey area. If I remember correctly, this is exactly what Mesa threatened to do with Freedom in the last (or would it be next to last?) contract negotiations.

In 1989 PamAm Express pay for a DHC7 FO (50 seat tubo-prop)was:
20.06, corrected to the CPI via GOV calculation thats 35.44 first year pay It topped out at 51.10 (with CPI correction) at 10 years.

That aircraft was not a Jet, It was post dereguation, and still much more than now... 20 years later. I expect, and will work along side you and every pilot at Colgan or any other airline to get pay back up to more livable wages that will help retain pilots rather than punish them. We are worth more, dont be tricked into thinking that its ok to pay a first your pilot 16K just because... We are professionals, we are pilots, we have to work together to fix this.

They could only do that after the end of the cooling off period and the beginning of self-help.

I hope that PNCL Corp and The PNCL MEC come to an agreement that benefits the pilots, however gives Pinnacle Airline Corporation the ability to improve and grow their product. That is how careers and people prosper.

Pinnacle Pilots- The Colgan guys are 100% supportive of your efforts.

Back