Furloughed Pilots

saxman

Well I'm about to be out on the street in January. Not really sure what I'm doing yet. I pretty much want to take a month off and just go travel while I collect some unemployment checks. After that I'm not sure. Just wondering what you other furloughed guys are doing right now, or planning on doing. Or if you were out on the street years ago, what did you do, and did you go back?

I've been working part time line service at a local airport trying to figure out what to do with my life. I've applied at pretty much every regional on earth and none of them seem interested in me. I'm 25 years old and living with my parents. I feel pretty worthless. Hope you have better luck.

Someone should sell furloughed pilot t-shirts. Kind of like those collegiate shirts. That would be cool.

Jtrain has been studying for the LSAT and collecting unemployment - he's starting a job as a ski instructor in a few weeks to make some $ throughout the winter. He's been pretty bored as far as I can tell and just stirs up #### on JC (haha). He's also been a pretty good house husband though cleaning up our apartment, doing laundry and dishes. If you have someone you're living with they'll probably appreciate you doing this stuff especially if they have a job.

We have travel bennies for a few more months, but honestly, the cost to go someplace (hotel and food and whatever else) adds up quickly, and if you don't have much of a positive income coming in, it can definitely put a damper on travel plans.

When I was furloughed I was very lucky to get a job as a flight instructor again. If you don't have a CFI, now may be a good time to get one (I'll never let mine expire). Some people found jobs at freight gigs like Ameriflight or Airnet.

It can be hard to take what feels like a step backward, but how you deal with the setbacks could have a real bearing on your future career. Keep doing whatever you can to make yourself more qualified for that next step when the time is right.

Well I'm about to be out on the street in January. Not really sure what I'm doing yet. I pretty much want to take a month off and just go travel while I collect some unemployment checks. After that I'm not sure. Just wondering what you other furloughed guys are doing right now, or planning on doing. Or if you were out on the street years ago, what did you do, and did you go back?

Hey Saxman,
Do you think Deake will pay us to squeegie his windshield? We can do that in January! My problem is that my girlfriend is an F/A and she is probably going to be furloughed too, so we will have to do something like the movie "Fun with Dick & Jane", maybe go on a NYC crime spree (HA!). We were thinking the same thing as you, maybe travel somewhere in Jan.

Some states have pretty decent unemployment. Arizona is terrible, you'll still starve, like $950 a month.

Hey Saxman,
Do you think Deake will pay us to squeegie his windshield? We can do that in January! My problem is that my girlfriend is an F/A and she is probably going to be furloughed too, so we will have to do something like the movie "Fun with Dick & Jane", maybe go on a NYC crime spree (HA!). We were thinking the same thing as you, maybe travel somewhere in Jan.

Ha yeah that would be fun. I'm actually looking forward to this in a way. I've already been planning a few vacations. The only thing I'll miss is being able to jumpseat everywhere. Something I use often.

I'm with ya. I'll also be on that January chopping block. Honestly...I'm done. Don't get me wrong, I love my job/flying, but furlough or not I don't love the idea of my future in it. kinda sad actually. Starting back to school in January. Nursing here I come! If I get bored I might take the PCAT.

Jtrain has been studying for the LSAT and collecting unemployment - he's starting a job as a ski instructor in a few weeks to make some $ throughout the winter. He's been pretty bored as far as I can tell and just stirs up #### on JC (haha). He's also been a pretty good house husband though cleaning up our apartment, doing laundry and dishes. If you have someone you're living with they'll probably appreciate you doing this stuff especially if they have a job.

We have travel bennies for a few more months, but honestly, the cost to go someplace (hotel and food and whatever else) adds up quickly, and if you don't have much of a positive income coming in, it can definitely put a damper on travel plans.
My LSAT scores are still valid for another 3 years or so (I think they're good for 5?) I did really well on them (over 170), but I managed to get through college and flight school without taking out any loans -- I don't think it is possible with law school.

WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU DOING FLYING WITH A 170 ON YOUR LSAT!?!?

I'm not even aiming close to that high. With a 170+ you could get a full ride at a lot of tier 3 schools.

I really really feel for you guys...I can't imagine what it is like loosing a job and on top of that a low paying job if you're in the regionals. good luck!

i scored a 171 on the lsat. i even applied to law school. i just see how my parents are and dont want to work like that. now im sitting hot reserve with no end in sight. :)

How in the world did you guys score so high on the LSAT? I mean there are only a finite number of people that can recieve that score every test, and the number is freakin' small!

If I get a 160 I'll be peeing my pants with joy.

How in the world did you guys score so high on the LSAT? I mean there are only a finite number of people that can recieve that score every test, and the number is freakin' small!

If I get a 160 I'll be peeing my pants with joy.

I really like standardized tests -- pretty weird but there you go. Heh. My favorite parts were the logic games and arguments, my least favorite part was the writing part because it can be subjective.

Back