Furloughed Pilots

same as above. its a game just like the sat. the writing portion was subjective in my opinion but you had to play the game. by no means am i saying this is an easy test. hell when i got out of it i thought i would be lucky to get a 150. my sister who is eons smarter than i am is struggling with this test. john you will be fine.

Not everybody wants to go to law school...... Same as everybody isn't willing to do any & everything to sit in the right seat of an airliner.

Not everybody wants to go to law school...... Same as everybody isn't willing to do any & everything to sit in the right seat of an airliner.

Yeah but most people that take the LSAT are probably at least considering the idea, kinda like taking your ATP ride might mean that you're probably considering being a professional pilot.

Indeed. But again, you'll notice I said not everybody. :)

It can be said that "most" people who go for the advanced airplane ratings are "considering" an airline career. But not all. My dad has a commercial multi, but absolutely no airline ambitions what-so-ever.

To each their own. Personally, I wish you the very best with your LSAT test and your future. I hope you get an obnoxiously high score and excel in law school beyond your wildest dreams. (In whatever you end up doing, be it law in some respect or accepting a recall and continuing to fly.)

Seriously, John. STOP posting on here and start studying hard core, get a 180 on your LSAT, get a scholarship to Harvard or Yale Law School, get a killer job, then work for me pro bono.

I'm with ya. I'll also be on that January chopping block. Honestly...I'm done. Don't get me wrong, I love my job/flying, but furlough or not I don't love the idea of my future in it. kinda sad actually. Starting back to school in January. Nursing here I come! If I get bored I might take the PCAT.

CNN this morning "Health Care jobs are very secure in this time when other jobs are being cut. Jobs include RN, LPN, Medical Asst., XRay tech...etc"

My friend is a medical technician in PA. She told me today that the doctor's office is busier than ever! People calling to get appts. all the way out to spring 2009.

All the baby boomers are getting older and it's going to continue to get busy in the medical fields.

One exception: Chiropractic Care, she also works at a Chiropractic office and many people are cutting back on these services. Also, many people are losing their insurance, that once covered their chiro. care

Good luck out there!

For me, I guess my CDL-A license will be dusted off and I will go back to driving a tractor-trailer. I just don't know what my wallet will feel like when it finally has a few dollars in it! Kinda sad when you think about it....I made 3X more driving than I do flying.....sad. But hey, cutting out all those 20K and 30K a year pilots will save soooooooo much money that all will be well in airline land! (Hmmmm, 300 pilots, 30K a year, $9 Million a year....but the CEO of Delta is getting a bonus of $34 Million and the CEO of NW is getting $6 Million??) Oh yeah, I forgot...that is a whole other section of the budget.

How in the world did you guys score so high on the LSAT? I mean there are only a finite number of people that can recieve that score every test, and the number is freakin' small!

If I get a 160 I'll be peeing my pants with joy.

Just goes to show...Pilots are freaking geniuses!! We SMRT! Smart!

Good luck getting a job as a lawyer. Firms are laying off like crazy right now. The usual interviews they do with graduating law students have all been cancelled. Might pick up by the time you're out of law school, but the job market looks about the same as flying jobs.

Good luck to anyone who makes the switch, but in general lawyers tend to be pretty unhappy with their jobs, and they spend much more of their life at work than other professionals.

CNN this morning "Health Care jobs are very secure in this time when other jobs are being cut. Jobs include RN, LPN, Medical Asst., XRay tech...etc"

QUOTE]

xray tech would have been cool but its saturated from what I've heard. all the schools say there is a huge need for them but all the career forums are full of people graduating with no job in sight. I'm going for RN and work up from there. Plenty of jobs, employers are giving bonuses, paying for past tuition, starting pay is better than our captain pay, and I've got an in at the V.A. After you're in there they pay for continuing education so I plan on going to school and moving up the ladder. Not to mention federal employee bennies, a work schedule of 3 twelve hour shifts, 25% shift differential for weekends, and another 10% for nights.

Seriously, John. STOP posting on here and start studying hard core, get a 180 on your LSAT, get a scholarship to Harvard or Yale Law School, get a killer job, then work for me pro bono.

Oooh, look at Marky using all those newfangled legal talky things.....pro bono. :rolleyes::rolleyes::whatever::laff:

For me, I guess my CDL-A license will be dusted off and I will go back to driving a tractor-trailer. I just don't know what my wallet will feel like when it finally has a few dollars in it! Kinda sad when you think about it....I made 3X more driving than I do flying.....sad. But hey, cutting out all those 20K and 30K a year pilots will save soooooooo much money that all will be well in airline land! (Hmmmm, 300 pilots, 30K a year, $9 Million a year....but the CEO of Delta is getting a bonus of $34 Million and the CEO of NW is getting $6 Million??) Oh yeah, I forgot...that is a whole other section of the budget.

Nice, I have my old CDL too! I think I'm going to have to dust it off too for the time being. What was it like semi's? I just drove kids to school and the occasional beer bus in college. It was a blast. Couple of limo driving jobs I'm looking at too.

Nice, I have my old CDL too! I think I'm going to have to dust it off too for the time being. What was it like semi's? I just drove kids to school and the occasional beer bus in college. It was a blast. Couple of limo driving jobs I'm looking at too.

hmmmm, drunk bus driver....oops, i mean The driver of the Drunk Bus. thats gotta be cool. Is it like driving the school bus, where whatever unused bagged lunches the kids leave behind are yours? but instead of bag lunches its drunk chicks passed out under the seat...jackpot, giggidty.

I drove semi's (yes, I said SEMI!) for 17 years. Some jobs sucked, others were great, it depends on the company. Just look for newer equipment (with A/C, clean, big sleeper) and if you see a driver around in the yard when you are there, ask them what they think of the place. I also had driving jobs where I was home every day. Again, you want newer equipment and you also don't want a job where you get done at 8pm and go back in at 5AM. They call that a "home every night" job, I call it crappy living! I drove tankers, doubles, dump trailers, refrigerated trailers, live cattle, swinging meat, flatbeds. Tankers are easy to unload, just hook up the hoses, dumps are easy. Flatbeds sometimes were forklift unload and sometimes hand unload. Box trailers and refridgerated freight all depends on the company, some places unload for you, others make you unload. Depends what you like I guess. Do you have a class A or B?

all the schools say there is a huge need for them but all the career forums are full of people graduating with no job in sight.

Sounds like another career field I'm familiar with.

"There's a pilot shortage!"
"Dude, where's my job?"

yup, its crazy. had to dig into career forums to get the truth, much like a noob would get here. forums are the true litmus.

yup, its crazy. had to dig into career forums to get the truth, much like a noob would get here. forums are the true litmus.

Almost a true litmus. Skewed to the negative. Forums are great to get thru all the fluff from the school ads but they still tend to be overly negative in comparison to the everyday worker.

I drove semi's (yes, I said SEMI!) for 17 years. Some jobs sucked, others were great, it depends on the company. Just look for newer equipment (with A/C, clean, big sleeper) and if you see a driver around in the yard when you are there, ask them what they think of the place. I also had driving jobs where I was home every day. Again, you want newer equipment and you also don't want a job where you get done at 8pm and go back in at 5AM. They call that a "home every night" job, I call it crappy living! I drove tankers, doubles, dump trailers, refrigerated trailers, live cattle, swinging meat, flatbeds. Tankers are easy to unload, just hook up the hoses, dumps are easy. Flatbeds sometimes were forklift unload and sometimes hand unload. Box trailers and refridgerated freight all depends on the company, some places unload for you, others make you unload. Depends what you like I guess. Do you have a class A or B?

I drove and worked in the trucking industry for almost 5 years after the aviation industry took a dump around 9/11. My last year of trucking and another part-time position with the company netted me almost $80k. Then I decided to take first year pay at Comair and was promptly furloughed in October.

Trucking is a solid job, but you deal with a lot of ignorance day in and day out (yes, even more so than the airline industry). I guess if you keep to yourself and stay behind the wheel, it's a good job with a solid paycheck. Burn out and fatigue can come fast, so you have do whatever you can to make it interesting everyday (definitely need an ipod and a satellite radio). Also, don't settle for crappy wages in trucking. Demand to be home at least every weekend, don't drive equipment older than about 4 years old, and don't drive for less than .39/mile.

I'm currently looking to flight instruct again and trucking will be my last resort this time.

Almost a true litmus. Skewed to the negative. Forums are great to get thru all the fluff from the school ads but they still tend to be overly negative in comparison to the everyday worker.

Actually, I've found my airline experience to be pretty much as described on the forums. Not as great as the starry eyed newbies want it to be but not as bad as Mr Creepy made it out to be.

Just class B. I really liked driving buses and didn't mind getting up at 6 AM to do the morning routes either. Driving a semi is just a thought for me. Figure its a good way to see the country, but also sounds like crazy schedules too. (Not that different from now) I thought it'd also be fun to step up from school buses try those coach buses. Some of those new ones look really nice. Not Greyhound, but maybe the charter companies like Grayline or Coach USA. Or if I just wanted something local, a few limo places were hiring drivers in my area too. That sounds fun.

Back