Furloughed Pilots

Just class B. I really liked driving buses and didn't mind getting up at 6 AM to do the morning routes either. Driving a semi is just a thought for me. Figure its a good way to see the country, but also sounds like crazy schedules too. (Not that different from now) I thought it'd also be fun to step up from school buses try those coach buses. Some of those new ones look really nice. Not Greyhound, but maybe the charter companies like Grayline or Coach USA. Or if I just wanted something local, a few limo places were hiring drivers in my area too. That sounds fun.

I had a few guys I used to work with that were former Charter Coach drivers. They quit after getting married. Reason? They were getting laid by tons of girls on the long bus tours! Seriously! One told me that church groups were best! (Dirty little churchies!). The coach industry is great if you don't mind being gone for a week or two at a time. The money is good and you eat free at rest areas. Just sign the book at the counter.

I always took jobs where I was home every weekend. This is a "Regional" driver as opposed to "Long Haul" or "Coast to Coast". There are many good companies out there, you just have to research a little. My last regional driving job I got 49 cents per mile, averaging 2800 miles per week, which was a take home pay (after taxes) of around $1100 to $1200. Sad that I make in a month now what I used to make a week :(
My last driving job before Comair was a local job for a lumber company, driving tri-axle flatbeds. I made $16 per hour and worked 6AM to 2:30pm, with a few hours over time in there too. I took that job so that I would be done in time to run to the airport everyday and fly traffic reporting flights, and three nights per week I flew cargo.

note to self: find job driving "Churchies", preferably in a large bus. more seats, more options.

Do trucking companies pay for you get a CDL if you are hired, or do you need to pay for that yourself? I've always wondered about that.

Do trucking companies pay for you get a CDL if you are hired, or do you need to pay for that yourself? I've always wondered about that.
Many companies will pay for your schooling. As opposed to aviation, there is a real shortage of CDL drivers. As I said, I got really picky with who I would work for. If you are starting out (with no CDL) you hope for the best and get that one or two years experience and then have better options. If you are truly interested in driving and have questions, I will gladly answer what I can.

From deep in the heart of the Great White North (CANADA), signing out
Over
I mean "aye"

Oh yeah, by the way....found out today....getting displaced to CVG! Oh JOYUS of all JOY! Does this mean I get to work my last month or two here, traveling to CVG to sit ready reserve in the crap hole of the U.S. known as Hebron, KY?
FURLOUGH ME ALREADY! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!
(but you know me, I can't complain)

Back