Furlough tracking

Current news outta Pinnacle is no hiring on the horizon, and possible voluntary LOAs or downgrades on the CA side. No numbers since they're just in the "talking about it" stage right now. Subject to change hourly, though, knowing this place.

I just received the first issue of FLIGHT PATH from the Furloughed pilot program from ALPA

they published the furloughed numbers divided by airlines as of 12/15/2008

here the arey; I hope I am not violating any copyrights

AAI 21
AIS 10
ARW 54
CAL 149
CMR 195
CPZ 1
DAL 156
EIA 9
FAB 9
HAL 10
MAG 48
MEA 252
NWA 221
PAC 1
PSA 72
RYN 148
SCA 70
SPA 112
TSA 91
TSC 6
UAL 254
XJT 303

GRAND
TOTAL 2193

According to our most recent VARS message...Trans States has 78 pilots out at present, with downgrades and furloughs continuing through March '09. Displacements continuing forever to staff the new IAD base it seems. The 91 number quoted above will probably be the end number come March.

well I don't know how accurate are those numbers, for example as far as I know in PSA we are 79 pilots on the street not 72 like the publication said...

I just copied and pasted the info for your delightment....

Merry Christmas everyone :D

I thought AirTran was around 130-150. I remember reading not long ago that they're going to recall 35 pilots (I think that was the number). Perhaps PCL128 has accurate information.

In ALPA code, AAI is Atlas. Not sure what our council code will end up being at AirTran if we merge with ALPA.

As for us, we have 169 pilots out on furlough, but 40 recall notices were sent out two weeks ago. Two classes are scheduled, one in late January, and the other in early February.

In ALPA code, AAI is Atlas. Not sure what our council code will end up being at AirTran if we merge with ALPA.

As for us, we have 169 pilots out on furlough, but 40 recall notices were sent out two weeks ago. Two classes are scheduled, one in late January, and the other in early February.

D'oh!

I knew something didn't seem right. Not enough furloughs to be AirTran but the "AAI" fooled me.

I forgot AirTran's not ALPA and Atlas is. Well, I guess I should say Atlas was and AirTran isn't yet.

ASA will be announcing furloughs most likely next week. We got an e-mail notice this week that the company is seeking voluntary furloughs.

Word is the company will furlough the 137 or so not protected by the contract's "no furlough" clause. Others say that the company will negotiate and wiggle out of the clause and furlough 200+.

We lost 12 airframes and Richard Anderson apparently plans to give all new airplanes to Mesaba from hear on out so who knows what's next.

Kalitta Air

December 1, 2008 14 First Officers
17 Flight Engineers
January 5, 2009 56 Captains/First Officers
38 Flight Engineers
March 15, 2009 6 First Officers
March 31, 2009 6 First Officers
May 1, 2009 6 First Officers
May 31, 2009 5 First Officers

I'll be in the Jan. 5th group.

Kalitta Air

December 1, 2008 14 First Officers
17 Flight Engineers
January 5, 2009 56 Captains/First Officers
38 Flight Engineers
March 15, 2009 6 First Officers
March 31, 2009 6 First Officers
May 1, 2009 6 First Officers
May 31, 2009 5 First Officers

I'll be in the Jan. 5th group.

Ok not related to this at all, but a hilarious Connie story.

I was taxing behind Connie one night down Papa in Newark and I hear the following exchange:

Ground: Connie it's papa to the ramp have a good night.
Connie: Papa to the ramp, night.

15 seconds go by

Ground: Hey Connie you ahh......you've got a little more smoke than normal coming out of #1.
Connie: Standby one.......................ahhhhhhhhh yeah sir can you roll the trucks?

Poor Connie was on fire and didn't have any idea.

Ground: Hey Connie you ahh......you've got a little more smoke than normal coming out of #1.
Connie: Standby one.......................ahhhhhhhhh yeah sir can you roll the trucks?

Poor Connie was on fire and didn't have any idea.

Once it's on the tape, our hands are pretty much tied, LOL! :D Just a little duck tape and putty will do the trick!

Was it a tailpipe fire?

Dunno, I switched over to ramp a few seconds later while me and the captain thought, "Well, at least they didn't drop one of their engines into the river on final!"

:)

Where does that leave you, are you safe?

It's up in the air. No "official" word from management, but that's nothing new. The union sent out a short letter saying "we're working on stuff to mitigate the impact," but since the company hasn't shown their cards, the union can't really tell us much, either. I'd expect a LOA deal or something.

I've got 53 other CAs underneath me in seniority, so I SHOULD hold on to the left seat. The question is am I only gonna see my wife and kid 10-20 hours a month since I'll have to make the awful hub to hub commute from MEM-DTW. It depends on how the do the displacement. If it's "We're taking the bottom 30 guys and moving them back to FO," then I should be okay and still be in base. If they adjust staffing in the hubs....it's a crapshoot.

Some of the guys in the downgrade crosshairs are ex-Comair guys that have hinted at the fact they'll probably be done with the career altogether if they get sent back to the right seat. Honestly, after the runaround they've gotten in a year alone, I can't blame them.

think were looking at a furlough Kellwolf?

I wouldn't rule it out, but I don't think we're there yet. With 1000+ hours of open time on the FO side, I think we're okay. Then again, I said that about 1000 hours of open time on the CA's side.

Honestly, I think the company knows we're short FOs, and they see the downgrades as a way to help fix that AND save some $$$ at the same time. What they forgot about is the check airman they'll need to buy off to re-qual these guys in the right seat. So, you can add 5-10 more CAs to that 30 being downgraded.

When summer hits, unless Delta slashes our flying (which COULD happen), the company's gonna be saying "Huh? Why are we short CAs all of a sudden?"

I agree....as I write this post im sitting next to the number 3 captain in the company who im on a four day with...they have tried to junior man him 3 times in the last week....so us being short on captains makes a ton of sense...:rawk:

I agree....as I write this post im sitting next to the number 3 captain in the company who im on a four day with...they have tried to junior man him 3 times in the last week....so us being short on captains makes a ton of sense...:rawk:

My highspeed just got converted to a 4 day. Yeah, we're overstaffed.....

Okay, TECHNICALLY, it's a highspeed with a 2 day trip after it.

Okay, here's the official word on PCL displacements:

MSP 3
MEM 9
DTW 11
ATL 8

So, total of 31 CAs being downgraded to FO. The union is still working on possible LOA packages to see if they can cut the number down. Unless something major changes, I'm safe this time around. I'll go from being 15 from the bottom in MEM to 6 from the bottom, but at least I won't have to commute to DTW. It would have had to be pretty drastic to bump me back to my #3 choice anyway. I was ALMOST hoping to get bumped to ATL so I could start looking for a place in Orlando on the company dime. :)

Back