Furlough Estimates

That's about right.

There is a whole group of pilots on one of our web boards sharing penny stock tips and (me included, depending on the chatter) are buying in with no real d.d. at all. I've been lucky so far, and a couple of the companies that have been promoted actually make real-world things. (I've been holding some of those for months and they shot up when they hit benchmarks and when researchcame back with positive news)

One of the companies - I sold all my positions a couple of days ago (0.028/share) - I would guess is only still unnaturally high because a couple hundred pilots with 'gambling money' have been 'pumping' it when it should have been 'dumped' a week ago. Probably driving the day-traders and pumpers batty on why it hasn't crashed yet with someone else holding the bag.

One pilot put his whole retirement into a penny stock back in November. (It got a lot of momentum, especially in the last couple of weeks, and he sold enough to make back his initial investment...) And with the shares left over he actually made enough to punch out of the airline if he wants to... but it so easily could have gone the other way. Crazy.

He did share the tip with all of us and I did manage to lose a bunch during a stop-loss raid at one point. I ended up buying back in and it shot way up so I made up my losses and gained a bit. (That did make up for the Tesla/Apple loss earlier in the year.)

Pilots and wacky financial advice. Multiplied by a million thanks to months and months of the pandemic.

Crazy. Living in Asia, I have to do all of my trading on the backside of the clock which means I have a couple hours per-market and after opening. So that pretty much eliminates the YOLO plays, as even a Stop Loss won’t save you on that stuff and I wouldn’t be able to sleep doing something like what your co-worker did.

So I mostly do pretty mellow stuff, and have become a big fan of CSPs (with stocks I actually want) and Credit Spreads. I enjoy it, but I don’t ever put more than 3% of my account at risk on any given trade.

In the 1940s, “Stonk,” was military slang for an artillery bombardment.

1613832258684.gif

Gamble your entire retirement savings on one stock?

My sympathy for senior pilots reaches a new low. Open time here is gobbled up like turkey on Thanksgiving. By the time you check open time, it’s already gutted. And the seniors are taking all the gravy and stuffing their paychecks. You might thing this sounds corny, but it bears some fruitful meaning.

Absolutely. I look at it as basically a 6 month CD with a guaranteed 15% return.

It pains me to say this, but he's right. Full 10% ESPP is pretty much a no-brainer money maker. And also generally sell right after you buy it with few exceptions. The "holding period" difference isn't usually worth it.

Also, 180K as an FO is not remotely unattainable. I've made that every year since year 2, and without ever grabbing premium trips. Even covid year.

Well. Once again I must be doing it wrong. So far this year I have a 103+ hour month and 93+ hours. Pay increase to year 4 pay in April. Nothing picked up. Just canx make up and SE AK shenanigan's. There is no premium. I'll see how I do this year...

Well. Once again I must be doing it wrong. So far this year I have a 103+ hour month and 93+ hours. Pay increase to year 4 pay in April. Nothing picked up. Just canx make up and SE AK shenanigan's. There is no premium. I'll see how I do this year...

You’re year 3 at Eskimo averaging 93 hours a month? That’s not too shabby of a paycheck! Nicely done!

It pains me to say this, but he's right. Full 10% ESPP is pretty much a no-brainer money maker. And also generally sell right after you buy it with few exceptions. The "holding period" difference isn't usually worth it.

Also, 180K as an FO is not remotely unattainable. I've made that every year since year 2, and without ever grabbing premium trips. Even covid year.

This April 30th should be awesome. Offering Date FMV (Nov. 1) = $37.89 , minus 15% discount buys at $32.21

Price of stock today is 62.28. Assuming the price stays at/near this level on April 30, could be almost $30/share profit!

Assuming a CA salary at max 10%, that would be about 370 to 420 shares purchased. At $30 profit each, potential nice 11,100 to 12,600 total profit (short term sale).

Best 6 month CD ever :)

Premium is for people that work on their days off. Suckers.

Uh... trips get picked up on days off here at straight pay like there’s no tomorrow. Like it or not, people are padding as much as they can for their paychecks given the uncertainty with an ongoing pandemic.
I guess I see their viewpoint. At AA there is tons of open time every day for the most part. Reserves are flying their butts off.

You’re year 3 at Eskimo averaging 93 hours a month? That’s not too shabby of a paycheck! Nicely done!

Well. So far this year, yeah. Last year, not so much.

Before the Rona times I used to work more in the winter and less in the summer because mountain biking but it really wasn’t a lot less.

Our work rules are awful and it’s hard to get out of the 75-85hr range. This year I’ve been forced into working more because of our cancelled Hawaii stuff and our awful work rules. Or just had so many delays for SE shenanigans that it bumped me over 90

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This April 30th should be awesome. Offering Date FMV (Nov. 1) = $37.89 , minus 15% discount buys at $32.21

Price of stock today is 62.28. Assuming the price stays at/near this level on April 30, could be almost $30/share profit!

Assuming a CA salary at max 10%, that would be about 370 to 420 shares purchased. At $30 profit each, potential nice 11,100 to 12,600 total profit (short term sale).

Best 6 month CD ever :)

Does Eskimo really give 15% off the lowest share price during the offering period?

Does Eskimo really give 15% off the lowest share price during the offering period?

Hellz yeah!

April 30 and Oct 31 (6 month frame).

On April 30, it will execute a 15% off the lower stock price on the day of April 30th or last October 31st.

In this case, unless the stock market crashes deeply, the lower price would be the Oct 31 price. Minus 15% discount, it will buy at 32.21

Today the stock hit $64.

This 6 month ESPP payout is shaping up to be a nice big one :)

Add on top of that a 4.98% annual performance based payout of 2020 wages (what others call profit share). That was a nice bonus considering on a loss-making pandemic year.

Last edited:
Maybe he is counting profit sharing, NEC, and per diem.

I'm talking final W2 amount, so yes that includes per diem and our "profit sharing." At the end of the day (or in this case end of the year), that's all pay. I misspoke though, it wasn't 180 it was 170 or over of the past 3 years: 170, 178, 188 for years 3-5 here. Not bad for not working for a living.

And yes, the next ESPP purchase is going to be an immediate-sale absolute windfall if we can maintain - purchase price will be 32.2065.

Back