Furlough Estimates

My last trip through SE Alaska felt like work. Real work and real risk. My entire career was on the line and I'm not compensated well enough for the lack of support from just about every department.

My last trip through SE Alaska felt like work. Real work and real risk. My entire career was on the line and I'm not compensated well enough for the lack of support from just about every department.
What makes it so much work? Our side isnt allowed to fly to Alaska so I have no idea what happens up there. If you don't have the help, you guys control when the brake is released at least.

I'm talking final W2 amount, so yes that includes per diem and our "profit sharing." At the end of the day (or in this case end of the year), that's all pay. I misspoke though, it wasn't 180 it was 170 or over of the past 3 years: 170, 178, 188 for years 3-5 here. Not bad for not working for a living.

And yes, the next ESPP purchase is going to be an immediate-sale absolute windfall if we can maintain - purchase price will be 32.2065.

I didn't know you were Eskimo. You in SEA? I'm in LA, displaced to Boeing.

What makes it so much work? Our side isnt allowed to fly to Alaska so I have no idea what happens up there. If you don't have the help, you guys control when the brake is released at least.

It's super busy. Very short legs, up/down, up/down. We get to do it on OE. 4 legs up to ANC, 5 legs ANC back to SEA the next day. All I had was crappy weather, low vis, rainy/contaminated rwys, gusty winds. Supposed to be scenic but when I went through that's the weather I had and didn't get to see anything. Oh and it's only your 2nd or 3rd time inside a Boeing.

I'd venture a guess that it's the "toughest" flying at a mainline within the 50 states.

Bid something else? Aren’t you in Seattle? The trip variety down there seems to be night and day compared to the other bases.

Bid something else? Aren’t you in Seattle? The trip variety down there seems to be night and day compared to the other bases.

That’s cute. If I want a line I’m 279 in base. If I don’t want red eyes I’m looking at 279 lines for SEA. What do you think I get.

I could gamble for open flying lines I guess...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s cute. If I want a line I’m 279 in base. If I don’t want red eyes I’m looking at 279 lines for SEA. What do you think I get.

I could gamble for open flying lines I guess...

K. I see plenty of stuff in open time and pilot to pilot in SEA that has no southeast at all. ARC check fail or what?

Have you ever accepted responsibility for your own actions?
I have a feeling when you’re a line holder, you’ll find yourself flying with a lot of reserve captains.

I’m just confused at how Alaska Airlines flying in SE is “with no support”.
Having had to do my own flight plans, weight and balance, performance, cabin cleaning, weather briefing, and the like for 3 months (no thanks, I’m happy to be back in a place where I show up, drink my coffee, walk around the jet, load a flight plan and start engines), I’m wondering too exactly how Part 121 is “no support.”

Having had to do my own flight plans, weight and balance, performance, cabin cleaning, weather briefing, and the like for 3 months (no thanks, I’m happy to be back in a place where I show up, drink my coffee, walk around the jet, load a flight plan and start engines), I’m wondering too exactly how Part 121 is “no support.”
I’ve flown in SE with no support. Alaska may very well have issues in the way they handle SE flying, I can’t comment one way or another, but “no support” is extreme hyperbole. Deicing truck ready and waiting for your scheduled departure, RNP approaches everywhere, real dispatchers to look at the weather, NOTAMS, and runway conditions, and above all, enough gas to go back to Seattle if everything goes to hell. On top of that, an army of ALPA folks in your corner if you have to put the brakes on the operation for safety reasons and it annoys someone in ops. Sounds pretty dang good to me.

Last edited:
I’ve flown in SE with no support. Alaska may very well have issues in the way they handle SE flying, I can’t comment one way or another, but “no support” is extreme hyperbole. Deicing truck ready and waiting for your scheduled departure, RNP approaches everywhere, real dispatchers to look at the weather, NOTAMS, and runway conditions, and above all, enough gas to go back to Seattle if everything goes to hell. Sounds pretty dang good to me.
Someone is being a little over dramatic. "career on the line."

In case you can't figure it out @BEEF SUPREME I'm talking about you. You are being a drama queen.

Mostly, I just hate the hyperbole of the phrase “not working for a living”.

Flying during the winter time in South East Alaska is work.

It gets a lot worse but it’s not something I can talk about right now...

Back