Furlough Estimates

I know this is a bit of a thread drift, but I saw a businessman in the airport last week that had “ the look “ ( out for a day trip and not packed for anything longer ), and there was a surreal spotting an endangered species in the wild kind of feel to it.

I don’t think the lack of travel will be Covid related... looking at the unemployment numbers I think it will be the fact that many will not have extra money to spend on travel.

That will certainly be a big part of it. However as long as there are border closures or inbound quarantine requirements because of the pandemic that will suppress demand for travel as well.

I've actually been trying to stop gloomposting on here, since several people mentioned it was causing them to drink or need anti-depressants. I still think this is going to be worse than most people will admit. Hopefully it won't be and my predictions will turn out to be wrong.
It’s not gloomposting if it’s accurate (nth time).

It’s not gloomposting if it’s accurate (nth time).

True, but I'll still avoid it since people said it was causing them to drink or need Klonopin. It probably doesn't matter since the industry's fate isn't something we can control anyway. All we can do is try to save as much money as possible in case of unemployment, which I assume everyone is doing to the extent possible by now.

True, but I'll still avoid it since people said it was causing them to drink or need Klonopin. It probably doesn't matter since the industry's fate isn't something we can control anyway. All we can do is try to save as much money as possible in case of unemployment, which I assume everyone is doing to the extent possible by now.

I don't know. I'm not sure that everyone has woken up to the reality yet. But as someone currently being treated for depression, I definitely respect your intent here.

I don't know. I'm not sure that everyone has woken up to the reality yet. But as someone currently being treated for depression, I definitely respect your intent here.
If we blow right past the thoughts and prayers to the root of it, what are you so depressed about that you need treatment? Legitimately wondering. I get the part that everyone has a battle they are fighting, I don’t get the part of reliance on meds for anything, from being upset to lack of attention, that’s part of the local culture. Don’t need your private deets, just a general idea of what, outside of biochemical imbalance or prolonged hardship, causes a depression that needs to be treated.
Yeah, I know I’m not being particularly sensitive, but a) you’re Todd (and I mean that in the neutralest way possible) and b) imma ENTJ by the latest count (woohoo, less introverted than I used to be) so, apparently, I have zero emotional intelligence and imana roll with that

PS No, really. Not being a prick. If I was I’d just react to the post with a “haha”

If we blow right past the thoughts and prayers to the root of it, what are you so depressed about that you need treatment? Legitimately wondering. I get the part that everyone has a battle they are fighting, I don’t get the part of reliance on meds for anything, from being upset to lack of attention, that’s part of the local culture. Don’t need your private deets, just a general idea of what, outside of biochemical imbalance or prolonged hardship, causes a depression that needs to be treated.
Yeah, I know I’m not being particularly sensitive, but a) you’re Todd (and I mean that in the neutralest way possible) and b) imma ENTJ by the latest count (woohoo, less introverted than I used to be) so, apparently, I have zero emotional intelligence and imana roll with that

PS No, really. Not being a prick. If I was I’d just react to the post with a “haha”

Wtf

A256826D-CC12-4F5A-B538-2143B72BD64E.gif

So, I'm gonna give this post the most charitable interpretation possible and assume you really do want to understand and not just be a doosh.

But here's the thing you have to understand about depression: it sneaks up on you. You have no idea you're dealing with it until you're deep into it. And I still didn't realize I was dealing with it until someone else told me how differently I had been acting, and then several other people backed it up saying the same thing.

Right now about a third of the country is experiencing depression. My therapist says they've been inundated with new patients. The complete lack of social interaction that people are experiencing in quarantine, the world turned upside down, people with kids are having to juggle the stress of home schooling, the list just goes on and on. So it isn't that there is one specific event or problem that necessarily gets someone to that point. It's just that everything in the world seems screwed up, and those little stresses of all of that build up slowly over time and take their toll on your mental health, while meanwhile you don't have any of your normal social outlets to balance it out.

To be clear, I'm not on meds, just therapy. But there's certainly nothing wrong with needing to be on meds, so you should probably get rid of that prejudice against that.

So, I'm gonna give this post the most charitable interpretation possible and assume you really do want to understand and not just be a doosh.

But here's the thing you have to understand about depression: it sneaks up on you. You have no idea you're dealing with it until you're deep into it. And I still didn't realize I was dealing with it until someone else told me how differently I had been acting, and then several other people backed it up saying the same thing.

Right now about a third of the country is experiencing depression. My therapist says they've been inundated with new patients. The complete lack of social interaction that people are experiencing in quarantine, the world turned upside down, people with kids are having to juggle the stress of home schooling, the list just goes on and on. So it isn't that there is one specific event or problem that necessarily gets someone to that point. It's just that everything in the world seems screwed up, and those little stresses of all of that build up slowly over time and take their toll on your mental health, while meanwhile you don't have any of your normal social outlets to balance it out.

To be clear, I'm not on meds, just therapy. But there's certainly nothing wrong with needing to be on meds, so you should probably get rid of that prejudice against that.
Wasn’t being a • at all.
I am dealing with something similar in a person I care about, and I don’t understand it. As in, I understand it theoretically, but “I’m not feeling it”, the concepts are alien to me. Like I’m a Vulcan, and you’re all weirdos alien. I do appreciate you taking the time to answer though.

Long term meds are bad. Not a prejudice, life observations. Like being an alcoholic or a drug addict bad, just with a Rx. Have a friend like that. That’s not a cure, just a way to hide the underlying issues. Back in the day she might have been able to deal with them. Now, after years of that stuff - no way. Just keep increasing the dosage.

Thanks. This is something we don’t talk about enough. If I can be helpful, consider it done.

Hopefully one day we’ll see it the way we see hypertension. A decade ago, the FAA was like “ZOOOOOMG, your blood pressure is high and you need to go on medication which is going to restrict your ability to fly” and now it’s like “You’re on ACE inhibitors, cool bro, have a great day”.

Depression and anxiety runs rampant and goes untreated in our profession.

Back